996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What do you do for a living?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
slumlord/MFT..

Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by DrCatcher
College is...a great way to start our young people off in debt.
Can you say "scholarship"

As for college being over rated, there are lots of jobs that are difficult (if not impossible) to get without a degree.

But college definitely isn't for everyone, and it sure isn't a requirement for doing well in life.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DrCatcher
Work 24/7 and have no children...
That statement says it all right there and I don't mean the work 24/7 part!

Add a kid or two and you wouldn't have any toys, or if you did, you wouldn't have any time to use them..... That's why my Porsche hasn't left my garage in 3 months. Single dad with 2 young kids and a crazy work schedule.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Nope. No college for me either...went straight to work after a 4 year stint in the Marine Corp and never looked back. I'm a project manager for a world famous company and an electrician by trade. I have no use for a spider monkey, but if I find one, Nick can hook me up...

Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
That statement says it all right there and I don't mean the work 24/7 part!

Add a kid or two and you wouldn't have any toys, or if you did, you wouldn't have any time to use them..... That's why my Porsche hasn't left my garage in 3 months. Single dad with 2 young kids and a crazy work schedule.
Hi,I can relate.Besides being a fireman 32 yrs..I have been raising my daughter all by myself since she was 13 months old,now shes going on 14yrs old..I gave up my other hobby/career, motorcycle engine building/competeing for being a Mr.Mom...We all have our priorities in life....

Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
I'm sure most of these guys will tell you it's all about doing what you enjoy.

That being said I'm not exactly in love with what I do, but for 26yrs old to be making well into 6 figures I'm happy to keep doing it.

I'm an Independent Insurance broker specializing in Health Insurance for families and small businesses. I sell in Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

I did go to college, but honestly what I do now uses very few skills learned in college. I caught a good break and have been working pretty hard ever since.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM
wheelman21 is infamous around these partswheelman21 is infamous around these parts
I went to College for Journalism at a top communications program. I was in talk radio for a couple of years and loved it. Moved back to my home town, in a bad radio market and there unfortunately wasn't a home for my show here. Previous to that I worked for one of the largest defense contractors in the world in finance for a number of years. I got out of it and got a journalism degree because I hated sitting in a box.

I am currently a medical equipment sales rep based in wound care. I like the job at it's core but hate the marketing firm I work for that runs the sales program. I've ended back up where I didn't want to so I am working on going into business for myself...life's too short to hate what you do.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
brandonq is infamous around these partsbrandonq is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HIX
I'm sure most of these guys will tell you it's all about doing what you enjoy.

That being said I'm not exactly in love with what I do, but for 26yrs old to be making well into 6 figures I'm happy to keep doing it.

I'm an Independent Insurance broker specializing in Health Insurance for families and small businesses. I sell in Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

I did go to college, but honestly what I do now uses very few skills learned in college. I caught a good break and have been working pretty hard ever since.

What did you major in and what's your alma mater?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 PM
hasauto is infamous around these parts
im 28 ..Went to college but not university, started online car grills company when I was 14... Liked wrenching on car so opened up a small garage at 19.. Now have a pretty decent size business and a used car dealeshipr as well. Starting to buy real estate and becoming a slum lord

Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 PM
gemlender is infamous around these partsgemlender is infamous around these parts
College for Industrial Technology then started my own business. Been in business for 24yrs now with 3 stores. I love what I do, something different every day. I have been with the same woman for 24yrs now also. I always say that picking the right woman and staying with her is the key to success....(its cheaper to keep her)

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 PM
targa72e is infamous around these parts
Automation sales engineer. The show "How its made is my life". I work for a distributor that sells the #1 automation equipment in the country. Most days my work is quite fun. See how things are made and help other engineers figure out how to make them better.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
IMO It doesn't matter what you do for a living as long as you do it well and take pride in the work/product you put out and are able to market yourself and/or your services effectively. That in turn probably requires really liking what you do. Once that happens everything will fall into place. It's amazing where you can go with hard work, some good goals and perseverance.

The one thing I always say to younger people looking for advice is to make sure the career they pick has growth opportunities and is one which can be accommodated as their bodies age. Physically demanding jobs get harder and harder to do as you age. But mentally demanding jobs can be much more sustainable for decades.

As a father of three I don't really drive my car as much as I socialize / post about it here. Sometimes I drive it for a few weeks at a time and sometimes it's parked for a few months. The point is that it's there as an option and puts a smile on my face when going to work and coming home. Turns a mundane drive/commute into a little adventure.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 03-13-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by alex55
I am a **** star and one of the world's largest exporter of spider monkeys.
Was any of your spider monkeys in your film. If so, I'm reporting an animal abuse! Lol!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Bs in physics and a Bs in mechanical engineering. Director of engineering / company owner. After 14 yrs at 80 hrs a week starting to live a little. Just got my fourth Porsche. ( cayenne turbo )My x5 has to go. Don't tell my wife there are 23 motorcycles in the basement. Some say I am a hoarder , but they are a arranged so that makes me a collector.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gotnem108
Was any of your spider monkeys in your film. If so, I'm reporting an animal abuse! Lol!
no no no, I am not mixing the businesses!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you do for a living?