996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Newest mods - feedback appreciated!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Newest mods - feedback appreciated!

I've had my 996 X50 for a few years now and the time has come for a new set up upgrades. Currently the car has about $20k in factory appearance options like crests, stitching, aluminum trim and more. Aftermarket so far:
MA Shaw GT2 front bumper with screens
19" HRE P43-R wheels

I've just ordered an EPL high altitude tune, have Eibach sways, and I need a new clutch. I'm looking to get the Clutch Masters FX200 or FX300 package, but not sure on which. I'll also upgrade the diverter valves at the same time, and I'm considering the GT2 slave upgrade.

Any feedback on my mod path? What am I missing, especially while the tranny is out?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM
S4Drifter is infamous around these parts
Sounds great. Looks like the big thing you are missing, especially with that tune is a good exhaust.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Yeah, considering you'll have the tune and the clutch, I'd say an exhaust should be on your mod radar too.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Exhaust, exhaust, exhaust. It's a big deal. Get one of the reputable X-pipe designs, preferably with no cats, if you can get away with it in your home state.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
To save on labor, I plan to do the coolant hose fix when it's time to replace my clutch.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aerodude
To save on labor, I plan to do the coolant hose fix when it's time to replace my clutch.
^ agreed.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I reverted back to stock exhaust because I was contemplating selling the car- wow it really corks things up. Like the others say along with flash to the free-flowing exhaust. If your doing coolant hoses and clutch it might also make sense to get coolant lines pinned or welded as well. Lost one of mine at the track last year- not pretty!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
What am I missing, especially while the tranny is out?
turbo inlet pipes....... if you want to do them later it is a pain.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
yeah i would do turbo inlet pipes while the trans is out as well as the GT2 hydraulics (slave,master, etc) also do a Gbox transmission detent (to prevent 2nd gear popout). another good thing to do is the 997tt transmission mount.

goodluck

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
After your done, gotta see pictures of your beast!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Thanks very much for all of the feedback!

I've been contemplating an exhaust for a while, but the clutch replacement just about killed my mod budget for the year. It'll have to wait until next year. For now, I'm going to do the simple exhaust "hack" of drilling a couple of holes through the exhaust pipes into the mufflers to wake up the sound.

Coolant pipes: After a bit more reading it sounds like the pipes Markski offers are the best bet since you don't have to drop the engine?

Tranny mounts: I'll look into those thanks!

I'll definitely post some pictures once it's all done. I haven't posted any in a long time!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks very much to Dan at Vivid I've been able to finalize my build. The car will be shipped to Arizona while I'm out of the country for a month, then I'll be flying down to pick it up in late April.

The final list of mods (it's grown of course ):
  • Clutch Masters stage 3 fiber disc clutch
  • Clutch Masters LWFW
  • GT2 slave/master clutch conversion
  • 997 tranny mounts
  • Agency Power diverter valves
  • Agency Power F hose
  • G-box 2nd gear popout fix
  • EPL tune (including before/after dyno runs with and without all mods)
  • Turbo inlet pipes
  • Agency Power exhaust
  • New front brake pads, rotors and sensors (OEM)
  • Stainless brake lines F&R
  • ATE Super Blue racing brake fluid
  • F&R Eibach sway bars
  • Denso one step colder spark plugs
I think that's everything. I ended up WAY over budget, but with the engine coming out, it just made sense to do a bunch of the smaller items since the labor is negligible. Pictures and dyno sheets will be posted next month!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Banned
AR Design is infamous around these parts
As for mods i would def say exhaust like others with collant hose fixes along with clutch.

For clutch, I would say do fx300. I just put one in my daily(not a 996) but the drive-ability is awesome for the power they are capable of holding.

PM me if you want pricing on the clutch always happy to help out a 6speedonline member!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
If engine out pin or weld those waterlines, it's an expensive fix otherwise and becoming mandatory foot some tracks now.

Congrats on the upgrades!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by AR Design
As for mods i would def say exhaust like others with collant hose fixes along with clutch.

For clutch, I would say do fx300. I just put one in my daily(not a 996) but the drive-ability is awesome for the power they are capable of holding.

PM me if you want pricing on the clutch always happy to help out a 6speedonline member!
Yes the exhaust has been added already.

The FX300 is the one I'm doing, and it's the version with the fiber disk instead of kevlar. Thanks for the offer on the clutch but Vivid is supplying that already.

Originally Posted by Etchhead
If engine out pin or weld those waterlines, it's an expensive fix otherwise and becoming mandatory foot some tracks now.

Congrats on the upgrades!
I'm getting confused here. So the turbo inlet pipe change is for the airflow and I thought that was necessary due to some problems with the stock hoses buckling with higher HP, but for the water lines, is there also a kit you can buy?

Thanks for the congrats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newest mods - feedback appreciated!