996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT ignition barrel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Looney is infamous around these parts
996TT ignition barrel

Hey guys,

seeking some advice again, the ignition barrel in my TT is ##cked, and i wonder if anyone can help. Ive googled, and it seems most people have problems with some plastic piece that keeps breaking off, but i think my problem is different. symptoms of my issue are.

1: when starting the car, the ignition does not spring back to the on position, so i have to manually turn it back a little for my stereo etc to work.

2: when removing the key, it doesnt have that 'clunk' when you pull the key out every time, and some times still says "ignition key not removed" in turn not allowing the alarm to arm.

what are my options here? can i buy another barrel from a parts wrecker and somehow change the key part of it? or do i need to buy a new OEM barrel cut to my key?

or is there anything i can do to try rebuild it?

Sincerely

Looney

Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 PM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you try some of that maf cleaner and see if maybe something in your barrel isn't sticking? If not you might want to disassemble the ignition lock and see what's going on. You can get a replacement housing on eBay for like 30 bucks I think. Look for the VW ones as they fit our cars.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 AM
Hey Dragonman,

thanks for the advice, thats the exact thing i was hoping to hear from someone,

do you by any chance have an idea of which ignition from VW i need? or if there are any instructions on doing this? because i havnt managed to find any

Old 03-17-2012, 01:50 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Looney
Hey Dragonman,

thanks for the advice, thats the exact thing i was hoping to hear from someone,

do you by any chance have an idea of which ignition from VW i need? or if there are any instructions on doing this? because i havnt managed to find any
Here's the thread where people were discussing the ignition sticking issue. The last post is a DIY on how to take apart the mechanism. Hope it helps. I'd try the maf cleaner or wd40 first. I sprayed some on mine and it helped a little but I have a feeling eventually I will need to replace it. I'm guessing that either your barrel isn't sitting correctly or whatever sensor that reads the position of where your barrel is needs to be cleaned or something.

Edit: the part number for the Audi/VW replacement is towards the end of page 1, and the oem part number is listed with the diy post at the end of that thread. Though from the other member posts it seems you can get a replacement part at Napa for less than 10 bucks. Probably just call napa and ask the guys there.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tion-lock.html

Last edited by dragonman4; 03-17-2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: iPhone typing ftl
Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 AM
mate, you're a superstar, thank you so much

Old 03-17-2012, 11:39 PM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
Change the whole unit, Sonnen sell them for just over $100. The new units are revised and supposedly last much better. I did my own and posted something on here with photos.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 PM
do you mean the ignition which is the small piece referred to in the other links? or do you mean the steering lock and barrel component?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:47 PM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
The complete unit, except for the key barrel.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3395412