996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Build Thread - Vivid Racing building Teflon's 996 Turbo X50

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
You need to go 18g wheels as that is one of the best bang for buck mods and you will eventually want them, trust me.

You will otherwise leave a ton of performance on the table.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Instead of the 997 tranny mount you might want to consider one of these, have a look at there engine mounts too.
http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-por-006.htm

Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I've worked out all of the details and my 2004 X50 should be at Vivid next week to start the build process. The full list of changes are:
  • Clutch Masters stage 3 (FX300) fiber tough clutch / modded pressure plate
  • Clutch Masters LWFW
  • GT2 slave/master clutch conversion
  • OEM 997 tranny mount
  • Agency Power diverter valves
  • Agency Power F hose
  • G-box 2nd gear popout fix
  • EPL tune (including before/after dyno runs with and without all mods)
  • 911tuning flexible turbo inlet pipes
  • Agency Power exhaust with quad tips
  • OEM new front brake pads, rotors and sensors
  • Agency Power stainless brake lines F&R
  • Motul DOT-4 racing brake fluid
  • Eibach F&R sway bars
  • Denso one step colder spark plugs
  • Coolant system fix - welding 8 metal hoses/joints
  • Replace 3 rubber coolant hoses (driver's side, passenger side, water pump)
  • Oil & Coolant changes
I'm going to be heading out of the country for a month, but Dan at Vivid has offered to post pictures / progress in this thread while I'm gone.

Can't wait to get back and go pick it up for the 1000 mile road trip home!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
And she is underway with the transmission coming out.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Someone just got new Eibach sway bars installed as well as new brake rotors and Agency Power brake lines!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
awesome .. thanks dan for sharing

Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Here's some pictures of the car when I bought it and since then with the MA Shaw GT2-style front bumper
Teflon - Did the Shaw GT-2 style front bumper require all new ducting too? Looks great. I was thinking of installing a factory GT-2 bumper, but that gets too expensive with all the additional parts that are needed.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by uschoice
Teflon - Did the Shaw GT-2 style front bumper require all new ducting too? Looks great. I was thinking of installing a factory GT-2 bumper, but that gets too expensive with all the additional parts that are needed.
The Precision Porsche uses the stock ducting - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...5-p-31151.html

Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor
Just finished one of the coolant hose updates

Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor
Got some new updates as we put parts back on the car

Here is the prototype of our new GT2 Slave Conversion Kit from Agency Power. To be released soon!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting some pictures Dan! Keep them coming! I'll be overnighting you the cable and EPL flash info tomorrow, and ordering the popout fix and having that overnighted too.

Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
that would be great. i'm sure we all look forward to hearing of the clutch upgrades. i also have the MO30 setup and love the way it handles esp in canyons, and yes. it's low. great pics.. grill screens. nice.
I'll definitely post my impressions of the clutch and all of the other mods. It'll be a whole new car when I get it back, and I'm really looking forward to driving it back from Arizona to Colorado to test them out! The shortest route up through southwest Colorado is a 1000 mile drive almost on the nose. I may take a longer way around depending on the final route I decide on.

Some people aren't big fans of grill screens but I really like them. I had them professionally installed rather than monkeying around with them myself and they did an awesome job. There's some pretty big dents in them too so they've saved my radiators from some serious hits.

Originally Posted by Sql_pl
Was there a "Sport Steering Wheel" available? I thought you could only get a normal 3-spoke that all 996tt's seem to have?

So I guess it pretty much has 6 options:

- Heated Sport Seats
- Full Leather Package
- Full Aluminum Trim
- Porsche Crests
- Porsche logo on middle compartment lid
- Sat-Nav

Did not know Porsche charged that much for these items.

Oh and as an aside question - which type of leather is the one with all these small holes? I know there is an option called "supple" leather? How do I know if I see "supple" leather?
Yes the sport steering wheel is an option on the sticker and I think it was about $1000. I can post the full options list once I get the car and the sticker back in a couple of weeks. Porsche charges a lot for their options for sure! You're missing the 6 disk changer from that list of options, as well as the short shifter. The GT3 style wheels (in widebody width) weren't any more than the standard Turbo wheels I believe. There's also the X50 of course for $18k. I think there's a few other options missing off your list too. Plus the full leather package doesn't include the rear center console wrapped in leather too. That's extra.

That leather is the standard leather. The supple leather doesn't look flat and tight like that and it has very visible waves in the center sections of the seats where the holes are in the standard leather. I think the bolsters on both the seat bottom and back are the same regardless of whether you have the standard or supple leather. Personally I don't like the way the supple looks, and it also wears much more poorly than the standard leather.

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
You need to go 18g wheels as that is one of the best bang for buck mods and you will eventually want them, trust me.

You will otherwise leave a ton of performance on the table.
It's just too much money to be doing that right now too. Like I posted earlier in the thread, there's always something else that I could add to the list. I'm also wanting to not go too crazy with the power right now since I've still got a full warranty for another year and a half. Of course some modifications going on now will void parts of the warranty, but my hope is that I can reflash to stock and get things covered if anything major happens to the motor or turbos. The shop I've worked with before on the warranty issues I've had has agreed to not necessarily share exactly what's been done to the car so I can get things covered, but I don't want to go too crazy.

Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Instead of the 997 tranny mount you might want to consider one of these, have a look at there engine mounts too.
http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-por-006.htm
Oh well too late now! Or is it Dan?

I don't know what the benefits of those mounts over the 997 tranny mounts would really be?

And I don't think I have the engine mounts on my current list of things to replace. Dan, we should talk about upgrading to the 997 mounts while the engine is out! I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Originally Posted by uschoice
No the ducting is a near match. You need to trim a couple of pieces of it to get the airflow right since the new bumper doesn't fit back on with the stock ducts, and even if it did, the full airflow wouldn't get to them. But it's an easy trim job with some metal shears to cut the stock ducts and get airflow through them from the Shaw bumper. I think you can do a bit more and put in some aftermarket ducting, or maybe the full GT2 ducting, but I don't really remember since it's been almost 3 years since that bumper went on. Regardless, the Shaw bumper allows you to retain the stock ducting, and going to aftermarket or full GT2 would be an upgrade to provide more airflow. At some point in the future I may do that.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor
Got the Agency Power exhaust installed and the 911 Tuning intake pipe kit!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Looking forward to picking up the car in a week! I fly to Phoenix to pick it up on Tuesday and then I'll be driving it back to Colorado. It's about 850 miles for the shortest route, though I'm still looking around to see what interesting places I can visit on the way. I might stay in Durango overnight on Tuesday and drive during the daytime on Wednesday.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Former Vendor
Its wrap! Hope the drive goes well

Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks Dan! The drive home was great. 800 miles of open roads!

Vivid did a great job with the car. Everything worked great! I'll be posting my impressions of the new clutch in a separate thread, but here's a bit about it:
The clutch engagement point was set exactly as I wanted high up in the pedal stroke, so they added the right amount to the accumulator rod. It's now very stiff and it takes 30-40 pounds of pedal pressure to push down the pedal. This was exactly what I was looking for to get rid of the soft feel of the stock clutch. The engagement point is very short, and combined with the lightweight Clutchmasters fly wheel, you really need to concentrate on your shifts to get it right. It was exactly what I expected and wanted out of it though. The mechanic really paid attention to detail like replacing the stock petosin cap with a different one on the fluid reservoir so somebody doesn't put the wrong fluid in there.

The Eibach sways make a huge difference in the feel of the suspension. Body roll is much reduced and just about eliminated, and the handling has a much more neutral feel with the understeer dialed out. I'll be playing with the swaybar settings once I get the car on the track. Any feedback on what other people run would be appreciated (i.e. what holes you set the bar on F&R).

I'll be dropping off the car at Eurosportwerks here in Denver tomorrow to get an EPL high altitude-based map protune / street tune. The tuner estimated with the high flow exhaust, BMC filter, LWFW and X50 package he should easily get me up to 450 whp/wtq, and possibly could get some higher numbers. As we all know, these cars are all different so it's hard for a tuner to know until they see the car.

One interesting note on my X50 car is that it boosted at 1.0 bar already before any mods, instead of the 0.8 bar max boost the X50 car is supposed to boost from the factory at. Either I just had an X50 that boosted higher or possibly it was tuned already, though I doubt it since the previous owner wasn't a car modder.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
it sure looks clean. congrats!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build Thread - Vivid Racing building Teflon's 996 Turbo X50