996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

For all of you smokers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM
pwarnery is infamous around these parts
For all of you smokers...

Howdy,

a week ago I replaced the Venturi tube on my car. Part # 99611065270.
I used to have the occasional puff of oily white smoke on restart. It appears as if this cheap used car symptom has now be cured. The part doesn't appear to be stocked in the US, so it is a bit of wait to come from Germany. So far so good though. I'll update in a few weeks if the smoke resurfaces.

Attached Images    
Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
cool, thatnks for the info... Where did you find out that this part was the culprit?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I did a pressure leak check through the intake plenum and had some soap bubbling at the end of the Venturi tube. Boost leaks are bad, so I figured I'd replace the part. I did not know what to expect as a result of doing so. No more occasional smoke on warm start up is a cool result. I will monitor to see if lowered oil consumption might be an added benefit.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:20 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwarnery
I did a pressure leak check through the intake plenum and had some soap bubbling at the end of the Venturi tube. Boost leaks are bad, so I figured I'd replace the part. I did not know what to expect as a result of doing so. No more occasional smoke on warm start up is a cool result. I will monitor to see if lowered oil consumption might be an added benefit.

very cool! +Rep points for you.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Hmmm. I wonder if mine needs to be replaced....

Hard to do with the engine in?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM
The engine stays in. It is pretty easy to do. You'll need to remove the air box, Y pipe and throttle body in order to reach the assembly. You also need a good pliers for the clamps and make sure you reconnect your N75 valve. You may want to replace the throttle body Oring while you are in there. The easiest way to check if the Venturi tube may no longer work right, is to do a boost leak check first. If you enter the part # on line, the diagram will show the two logical places you want to remove the assembly at. Otherwise the space is kind of tight and the rubber hoses tend to be stuck on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.