996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Where is the best place to Adverise (and Sell) your Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Amazing car! Just have to bump that FS thread more regularly

The only problem I see with it, is that you are in 997 turbo territory. Some people may opt for that instead (granted with more miles).

In any case, don't give it away! It looks fantastic!
Offers from folk who have actually see it would be nice. No one has come over to see it yet. Plenty of offers on the phone though. Cannot understand that.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Strange, unless the phone offers are low ballers?

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Offers from folk who have actually see it would be nice. No one has come over to see it yet. Plenty of offers on the phone though. Cannot understand that.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Porschejeff is infamous around these parts
I just sold my Jaguar a couple of weeks ago. It took me about six weeks. I had only a few serious inquiries. I advertised on Autotrader, Cars.com and Craigslist. The buyer came from Craigslist. I found that there is a lot of competition on Autotrader and didn't try the ebay motors. I also put it on a busy corner intersection with a For Sale sign (which generated a couple of serious inquiries, but low ball offers). It seems selling expensive cars in the current market requires a very specific buyer and requires time and patience.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:45 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Porschejeff
I just sold my Jaguar a couple of weeks ago. It took me about six weeks. I had only a few serious inquiries. I advertised on Autotrader, Cars.com and Craigslist. The buyer came from Craigslist. I found that there is a lot of competition on Autotrader and didn't try the ebay motors. I also put it on a busy corner intersection with a For Sale sign (which generated a couple of serious inquiries, but low ball offers). It seems selling expensive cars in the current market requires a very specific buyer and requires time and patience.
I agree, although Craigslist just seems to get me scammers "with cash" but never seem to come over. Still to try AutoTrader, eBay or Cars.com. That will be the next step. A shame really as I remember it took ages of searching to find this car. When I look at these sites, the color, condition and mileage of mine is much more desirable. Just as I am approaching 60 now and am limited to a 2 car garage, I really need a 4 door and do not have room for it.

I think that in today's economy there are a limited amount of folk with $60k+ to plonk on a car. Especially cash.

I am very patient and sooner or later someone will come along. I have sold exotics/supercars before, quite a few actually. And it will be sad as this Porsche is right up there, but will be the ONLY one I have ever had that will get less that what I gave for it, but is much more drivable for every day.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 AM
OK I Broke down an put it on Craigs List, priced it at the top and said accepting offers we will see.... this time. Last time all I got was time wasters who never even called. Perhaps I am not as good as writing adds as I used to be

http://staugustine.craigslist.org/cto/3165971712.html

Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 AM
ecudooberhead is infamous around these parts
As a prospective buyer, the only thing that turns me off (not withstanding being out of my budget) is the Aquamist setup. All the other mods I would see as a plus. I would guess that the person who is looking to buy a 7K mile 996TT wouldn't want any mods... Just my .02

Old 07-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by ecudooberhead
As a prospective buyer, the only thing that turns me off (not withstanding being out of my budget) is the Aquamist setup. All the other mods I would see as a plus. I would guess that the person who is looking to buy a 7K mile 996TT wouldn't want any mods... Just my .02
Easily reversed with 2 screws. However it is a great mod if not abused reduces in cylinder temps by 40*c which is nothing but good. 24% meth. As long as you do not use it for performance with 100% meth and keep it for in cylinder cooling it is a tremendous asset tremendously underrated. Used them on NA cars also. Keeps plugs and valves as clean as a whistle. I install them on all my cars. it helps that I am personal friends with the designer. He helps me program it for the car rather than generic.

Also unless you know it is there you simply cannot see it. check out my stealth install.

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 07-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Put it back to stock. At 7k miles this is worth far more as bone stock unmolested car. Even re-flash it.

I have sold both stock and modified cars, guess which is easier and commands more money?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 AM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
I'm actively looking for a 2004/2005 TT cabriolet right now. As mentioned above for the amount of money I'm spending I'm being quite picky about the car I'm willing to buy.

With any mods, especially anything to do with the engine, I'm looking for receipts and history.

I would recommend listing on craigslist. So far that's where I've found a few I've been interested in.

Mileage wise that low mileage could scare off some people due to concerns about oil leaks etc.. due to lack of usage.

Price wise you're asking a price that starts to make a 2007 a desirable option. I'm seeing mint cars out there for the mid to high 50s.

Hope this info. helps you a bit. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Sadly, I have to concur with aggk. It's a horrible thing to contemplate, but in my search for a cab originally, I would have been interested, but likely never called you. You are at a price point that will take a single buyer looking for exactly your car with your mods. There is nothing wrong with what you've done, but it has distilled down the potential buyers from hundreds to less than handful. so if you can afford to park it and hope for that buyer, it may end up good for you. But as feedback, if I see a car on the market for more than 60-90 days, I'm already skeptical, believing anything worth purchasing would be gone. It's just perception, but I try to think as a buyer....when doing the selling. Hope all this helps you. GL.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:05 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
, as it is such an incredible car to drive.

Yes. And that makes 7k miles, frankly, mystifying.

This will be painful- people that value ultralow miles are NOT those that like mods. They want virgins.

Guys that want mods dont care about the miles- hence will just beat you on price.

When I bought mine the owner was asking 108,000.... he had ZERO real contacts for 8 months- I waited 6 months after first seeing it- when I called as winter was arriving he took 77k and it was a steal at that time. The moral of the story is, dont ask too much or appear too unapproachable. Set a price you can accept and then just be firm- but setting it high and hoping to find a buyer and negotiate may never happen.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by ard
Yes. And that makes 7k miles, frankly, mystifying.
As an Automotive Engineer I purchased the car to enjoy doing some "sensible" mods that I have done to so many many cars in the past with good success. I have achieved that goal. It is also fun seeing how the "for profit" folk do things differently. I read a lot of articles how people took the car to extremes which in my opinion is OK if you do not want to sell the car on. I did not want to do that. I really do not drive my sports cars much, just like owning them. For some silly reason I though that after the mods it would be as desirable as my Lotus' have been. Silly I know but I am nearly 60 now and drive a SUV as a daily driver. I had an Esprit V8 in the mid 90's that I modded, I think I was the first to do it, had it for 2 years and put a mere 227 miles on it. It sold very well. I simply do not drive the car and when I got this car in 2009 it had only 5k miles. I have done ~2k myself which is more than most. Pehaps if I was in SoCAL and not Florida with my dealer contacts out there it would have been a different story.

I will probably end up reversing everything de-flashing it, sell off the parts and sell the car as bone stock and keeping my mouth shut as a lot of folks do, with the exception that mine has not been thrashed and tracked like most others have.

The good thing is I have not advertised it main stream. Only on this site and Craigslist. I agree a car can go stale if left a long time. But in the past I have never had to advertise, all my cars have sold word of mouth, most people that bought my cars knew my MO and came to me. "Let me know when you want to sell it" type of thing. Again that was SoCAL, a far larger market than po dunk NE FLA, and for the most part more educated and more affluent consumers. Price was never really an issue. But times have changed.

In the mean time "Purdy" yes she has a name, will remain in my garage, get run on a regular basis to ensure it is in top mechanical shape, till I get around to removing the bits and advertising it mainstream. Unless of course someone comes along before that.

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 07-28-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:26 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Unfortunately, anyone who buys a car and thinks there not going to loose money on it just because they don't drive is out of touch with reality. I'm sure there are some you could do this with like low production number cars but not with many Porsches. It's a beautiful car you have and unfortunately is priced to high. If you were in the mid to high 50's I bet you would probably start to get some bites. I'm in the market for one of these cars but don't want one that has been modified (messed with). If you can't handle selling it for less than you paid just keep it! It seems a lot of people selling turbos are asking top dollar for them (more than some dealers) but they are just sitting on them. I have talked to several owners who in my opinion are just plain out of touch with reality on the market value for these cars but its a free country and they can list them for whatever they want!

Last edited by dan87951; 07-28-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Porsche Sale Update

OK, so the car sold to the FIRST person that saw it as I expected for Full price.

Here are my findings for selling a car like this.

1) The Adds on this Forum generated a lot of comments, questions, stuff like "Great Car" etc., and GENERAL interest, None resulting anywhere close to a sale. Not even one person came to see the car. Lots of low ball speculative offers of no real value at all. But it was a learning curve and credit given to the site for seriously adding to my education on the subject, this was priceless.

Take away: If you want to give away your car for the lowest possible price, to someone who only wants a deal and really does not care DEEPLY about the condition or how the car was treated (This is my opinion based on my personal experiences of course and I could be wrong). In other words does not want a top shelf car. The Forum route is the way to go.

2) Craigslist: This actually generated a lot of emails most with silly "sight Unseen" offers, I would estimate 80% were scams though. It did generate 2 dealer interests who made not silly offers but ones you would expect from a dealer. One actually came over went out in it and checked the car with a paintmeter before making an offer and expressed that the car was in showroom condition if not better, and gave me a current CarFax and AutoCheck. I appreciated his insight. But my price was too much for his purposes. He was a great guy, offered lots of encouragement. Shared with me what he would sell it for etc. Thanks for that.

Take Away: Well this seems like primarily a Dealer and scammer medium. Proceed at your own risk. It worked out well again from and education standpoint but did not result in a sale.

3) eBay: Car Sold in 4 Days at Full asking price pending visual inspection by the buyer who travelled a significant distance to see it, he paid cash, no financing etc. And, I had 3 backup people who said they would do the same if the deal cratered.

Take Away: I assume that AutoTrader, Cars.com etc. would produce the same results. So if you want to sell your car at a Fair price for what it is worth and you have a great car. Forget the forums and CraigsList and go directly to the pros, do not pass go and do not collect your $200.

Thanks for everyone on this Forum for their help and advice as I got a lot and will forever be thankful for that.

Ian - Now PorscheLess and looking for something else to have fun with.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:05 AM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
OK, so the car sold to the FIRST person that saw it as I expected for Full price.

Here are my findings for selling a car like this.

1) The Adds on this Forum generated a lot of comments, questions, stuff like "Great Car" etc., and GENERAL interest, None resulting anywhere close to a sale. Not even one person came to see the car. Lots of low ball speculative offers of no real value at all. But it was a learning curve and credit given to the site for seriously adding to my education on the subject, this was priceless.

Take away: If you want to give away your car for the lowest possible price, to someone who only wants a deal and really does not care DEEPLY about the condition or how the car was treated (This is my opinion based on my personal experiences of course and I could be wrong). In other words does not want a top shelf car. The Forum route is the way to go.

2) Craigslist: This actually generated a lot of emails most with silly "sight Unseen" offers, I would estimate 80% were scams though. It did generate 2 dealer interests who made not silly offers but ones you would expect from a dealer. One actually came over went out in it and checked the car with a paintmeter before making an offer and expressed that the car was in showroom condition if not better, and gave me a current CarFax and AutoCheck. I appreciated his insight. But my price was too much for his purposes. He was a great guy, offered lots of encouragement. Shared with me what he would sell it for etc. Thanks for that.

Take Away: Well this seems like primarily a Dealer and scammer medium. Proceed at your own risk. It worked out well again from and education standpoint but did not result in a sale.

3) eBay: Car Sold in 4 Days at Full asking price pending visual inspection by the buyer who travelled a significant distance to see it, he paid cash, no financing etc. And, I had 3 backup people who said they would do the same if the deal cratered.

Take Away: I assume that AutoTrader, Cars.com etc. would produce the same results. So if you want to sell your car at a Fair price for what it is worth and you have a great car. Forget the forums and CraigsList and go directly to the pros, do not pass go and do not collect your $200.

Thanks for everyone on this Forum for their help and advice as I got a lot and will forever be thankful for that.

Ian - Now PorscheLess and looking for something else to have fun with.
I sold my last Porsche on Ebay with results much like yours! I also bought my current turbo, Infinity SUV, and a E-class MB on Ebay and was very happy with the purchases! Congrats on the transaction!