996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVOMS clubsport intercoolers vs 997.2 for 600whp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:14 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
One issue with the OEM intercoolers vs. EVOMS is the inlet and outlet diameter. If you have a 2.5" intake system with larger Y-Pipe, etc. the OEM hoses and IC's become the bottleneck on the car. If you are staying with the smaller OEM style intake, then it's probably the way to go.

However, if you have a 2.5" Y-pipe, larger throttle body and plenum, etc. and have upgraded turbos, you will want intercoolers with 2.5" openings on the end tanks, like the EVOMS or the OEM IC's and subsequent smaller diameter OEM hose become the restriction point of your intake system. This becomes more important the larger the turbos are or as you begin to run high boost levels...

We always recommend our 2.5" intercoolers to our customers that are purchasing our Y-Pipe / TB kit. The car will produce more power and spool quicker due to the increased flow a full 2.5" system offers.

Your intercoolers are cheap ($wise) relative to many other aftermarket coolers. Do you have much data/testing behind them? I can not find any.

I think your y-pipe is the right size, opposed to the vivid 3" pipe that makes no sense. I removed my vivid 3" pipe and put the OEM back.

One thing I do not fully understand. I have a set of GT30 turbos in my garage. The air outlet is less than 2". If the air outlet is under 2", why would even a 2.5" intake system be necessary? I never see people discuss the air outlet of their turbos.

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
are you serious? taking logs of your car after you put new intercoolers on (and then deleting those logs) and not comparing it to anything....that proves nothing. All you said is that 997.2 could not compete. How do you know? Stop trying to make yourself feel better for spending $4.5k on intercoolers.
Yes, I am very serious. We did compare the IATs, and the comparison was between the EVO clubs and the 5 inch Protos).

If you are going to run your car for more then 5 minutes in serious heat, ICs make a huge difference. It seems you are unaware (seriously, every time you spout off you say something that makes you look more and more foolish) of the fact that heat is the enemy of horsepower.

Real world comparisons are dramatic. For example, I was doing some roll on racing in mexico against another car (won't mention any names) that had quite a few power adders, but still had stock ICs.

The first few pulls were competitive. However once his car started to heat soak (surely you have heard of the phenomena.....but then again, I am continually amazed at your level of ignorance) I started to walk him hard.

The reason is that my temps were kept down by my IC's, his were not.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
BTW, why do you think that every good tuner...Switzer, Protomotive, EVOMs, 911 tuning (Markski) all include large ICs as part of there package?

They have many many years of experience w/ these cars.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Yes, I am very serious. We did compare the IATs, and the comparison was between the EVO clubs and the 5 inch Protos).

If you are going to run your car for more then 5 minutes in serious heat, ICs make a huge difference. It seems you are unaware (seriously, every time you spout off you say something that makes you look more and more foolish) of the fact that heat is the enemy of horsepower.

Real world comparisons are dramatic. For example, I was doing some roll on racing in mexico against another car (won't mention any names) that had quite a few power adders, but still had stock ICs.

The first few pulls were competitive. However once his car started to heat soak (surely you have heard of the phenomena.....but then again, I am continually amazed at your level of ignorance) I started to walk him hard.

The reason is that my temps were kept down by my IC's, his were not.
You are completely ignoring the OP's post. He is trying to compare 997.2 intercoolers to other aftermarket ones, specifically the evo clubsport. Your tests are meaningless. Have you ever had a set of 997.2 intercoolers?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
BTW, why do you think that every good tuner...Switzer, Protomotive, EVOMs, 911 tuning (Markski) all include large ICs as part of there package?

If bigger is always better, why do intercoolers such as Secan and CTR cost $10k+ and retain roughly the stock dimensions.

Jitsu, you tell people what to do with no technical knowledge whatsoever. Didn't you have trouble changing your own oil?

Intercoolers are not just about temperature Jitsu. There is flow and pressure and a few other variables. Fluid dynamics is very complicated. I am not an expert by any means, but neither are you. You will not become an expert by copying and pasting other peoples posts either.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
You are completely ignoring the OP's post. He is trying to compare 997.2 intercoolers to other aftermarket ones, specifically the evo clubsport. Your tests are meaningless. Have you ever had a set of 997.2 intercoolers?
No, I have not had the 997.2's. I have heard they are better than the 996 and 997.1.

However I have had the Evoms, and they are a good choice for moderate power levels. When you start getting above 600 whp, and if you live somewhere hot, you will want 4 inch or a bit larger.

ICs make a difference.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
AverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really nice
So much hostility.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
You are dead on regarding the varying diameters. In theory there is some pressure drop that will occur as the system length increases but it's a relatively short system and likely negligible. On the other hand, the air post IC is cooler than pre IC and therefore more dense and could technically flow at least the same volume in a smaller tube. There are a ton of things going on for sure but you are right the biggest restriction in the positive side of system is the turbo out. No reason to go any larger than this. In the rest of the plumbing.

If bigger is always better, why do intercoolers such as Secan and CTR cost $10k+ and retain roughly the stock dimensions.

Jitsu, you tell people what to do with no technical knowledge whatsoever. Didn't you have trouble changing your own oil?

Intercoolers are not just about temperature Jitsu. There is flow and pressure and a few other variables. Fluid dynamics is very complicated. I am not an expert by any means, but neither are you. You will not become an expert by copying and pasting other peoples posts either.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Your intercoolers are cheap ($wise) relative to many other aftermarket coolers. Do you have much data/testing behind them? I can not find any.

I think your y-pipe is the right size, opposed to the vivid 3" pipe that makes no sense. I removed my vivid 3" pipe and put the OEM back.

One thing I do not fully understand. I have a set of GT30 turbos in my garage. The air outlet is less than 2". If the air outlet is under 2", why would even a 2.5" intake system be necessary? I never see people discuss the air outlet of their turbos.

Thanks!
We sell the EVOMS intercoolers. The producer of our former IC's stopped making them and we prefer the EVOMS IC's. They are more expensive than our previous ones, but they are a quality product and work perfectly with our 2.5" intake package.

With a modified car and larger turbos, the increased flow characteristics / less resistance that a full 2.5" intake path provides will enable the car to make more power vs. the restrictive OEM components. That is why all major tuners use this type of set-up for customers seeking maximum power from their cars. The EVOMS IC's are a perfect fit for this type of upgrade.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 PM

I have no idea where you got the cut and paste claim. And yes, it is important to match the ICs w/ the cars power level/airflow/turbos.

5 inch ICs are a poor choice for a car w/ K16s, an exhaust, and a tune. That is why all the good tuners, as I stated above, match ICs w/ the performance mods. For a car w/ a full blow through, GT30s and every bolt on, well made 5 inchers are the best, 4.5 if you live somewhere cold.

You need to pick a good tuner and trust in their advice as to what you need. They have the experience and will match ICs to your needs. And I am not sure what an oil change has to do with anything? One thing I do have experience doing, is driving, so anytime you want to line up against me, we can put some money on the line, I am there.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Peyton Manning probably knows very little about how a football is made. Does that mean he knows nothing about getting the ball into the endzone?

Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
AverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really nice
One thing I do have experience doing, is driving, so anytime you want to line up against me, we can put some money on the line, I am there.
Snap!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
I think the point some are making, Dr. Jitsu, is that you cannot claim the 997.2 ICs are inferior to EVOMS clubsport ICs, or inferior to Protomotive's ICs, if you don't have relevant comparison data to support such a claim. Since you've never used a set of them, you can't offer if they're better/worse/equal to any that you have tried instead. Pretty simple.

People have tested the 997.2 ICs to be significantly better than 996 and 997.1 ICs, and found that these GT2RS ICs perform even better than many aftermarket IC options - even moderately expensive ones. I think the same people figured out that the relatively cheap aftermarket ICs are actually worse than stock 996/7.1 ones... yet some tuners are happy to sell you a set... go figure.

You need to pick a good tuner and trust in their advice as to what you need.
I will simply say this - I agree with you, but with the caveat that some folks "trust," and others "trust but verify." The latter camp sometimes finds out interesting (often unpopular with the parts peddlers) info to share with the community...

Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by jonty
I am just wondering if the EVOMS are worth the extra money over the 997.2 gt2 stock units @ 600-650 WHP?
At 600 plus whp, yes.

What are your mods?

Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I think the point some are making, Dr. Jitsu, is that you cannot claim the 997.2 ICs are inferior to EVOMS clubsport ICs, or inferior to Protomotive's ICs, if you don't have relevant comparison data to support such a claim. Since you've never used a set of them, you can't offer if they're better/worse/equal to any that you have tried instead. Pretty simple.

People have tested the 997.2 ICs to be significantly better than 996 and 997.1 ICs, and found that these GT2RS ICs perform even better than many aftermarket IC options - even moderately expensive ones. I think the same people figured out that the relatively cheap aftermarket ICs are actually worse than stock 996/7.1 ones... yet some tuners are happy to sell you a set... go figure.

I will simply say this - I agree with you, but with the caveat that some folks "trust," and others "trust but verify." The latter camp sometimes finds out interesting (often unpopular with the parts peddlers) info to share with the community...
EDIT: Yes, I have heard good things about the 997.2, they may be comparable to the Evoms.....I just looked at some data from another thread and they look pretty good...definately comparable to the Evoms, but I doubt will they compare to well made 4.5s or 5 inch ICs.

However, as I mentioned, unless you have maxed out your bolt ons, you don't need the big ICs. A car running an exhaust, GT28 turbos and not much else should be fine w/ the 997.2s. Of course that car is not going to make 600 whp.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 03-20-2012 at 05:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS clubsport intercoolers vs 997.2 for 600whp