996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVOMS clubsport intercoolers vs 997.2 for 600whp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Dr_jitsu why don't you start your own thread on this. I asked a question originally which has been answered on a 600 whp car 997.2 intercoolers win hands down.
If you have such interest in this on an 800+hp car invest in the testing like earl and others did and give us the results so we can all know for sure.
I would like to know the break point of where these intercoolers stop being more effective than various AM intercoolers, I have a feeling it is north of 800hp

Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Fire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really nice
Looks like a TX thing, why not get together and use your car as the test car jitsu... I think it would benefit us all greatly and end this debate. You made a remark about not paper racing so lets use that same logic and put these intercoolers to the test. If it's about money I'm sure we could get a few of us to pay whatever it would cost.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fire
Looks like a TX thing, why not get together and use your car as the test car jitsu... I think it would benefit us all greatly and end this debate. You made a remark about not paper racing so lets use that same logic and put these intercoolers to the test. If it's about money I'm sure we could get a few of us to pay whatever it would cost.
That sounds like a great idea: Lets run some 60-130s on the same day under the same conditions....OK maybe a day apart in order to swap out the ICs.

If the 997.2s outperform my ICs I would be glad to share that info.

The only caveat is that I will supply the car, I won't pay for the swap out. We can use Steve Ott at Drivers source to do the work.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jonty
I am just wondering if the EVOMS are worth the extra money over the 997.2 gt2 stock units @ 600-650 WHP?
I think your question has been answered. However the 997.2s will need to be modified, so I am not sure if there will be any cost savings. I know that I sold my Evos for around $2K.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 03-21-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I want my 5 pages of thread reading back

One thing that seems to be consistanly missed here is that the factors of what makes a intercooler efficient are complex. Pressure drop is the thing most average customers look at second to size. The truth is you can have great size and pressure drop characteristics and still have a core with poor efficiency. The fins inside the core tubes(that can't be seen from the outside) are almost as important as the ones in between the tubes. Any intercooler can be heat soaked in the right conditions. The resistance to heat soak is equally important to the recovery characteristics of the core. I am not an engineer, but personally I would take an efficient tube and fin intercooler over the same efficiency bar and plate intercooler.

If people are concerned with end tanks popping off or piping size, make aluminum end tanks to weld on.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Fire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really nice
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
That sounds like a great idea: Lets run some 60-130s on the same day under the same conditions....OK maybe a day apart in order to swap out the ICs.

If the 997.2s outperform my ICs I would be glad to share that info.

The only caveat is that I will supply the car, I won't pay for the swap out. We can use Steve Ott at Drivers source to do the work.
I don't think anyone expects them to "out perform" your IC's but i do think it would be great info to have a side by side, flow/rolling AIT/ heat soak recovery/I'd also be interested in stationary comparison (dyno). Obviously the goal would not be to try to outflow the 997 IC but to max them out and see when it is beneficial to upgrade

Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MannschaftQ8
Has any one saw FAST car ran secan or other bull**** European Intercoolers?
REAL RESULTS what we are looking for and those graphs won't let you ran faster or win a race IMO!
Well, here is the fastest 997 turbo in existence smokin' a lucky at 249mph with the crazily priced but very effective Secan coolers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trnr7oGZrSY#t=56s

Impressive stuff!

Does that count?

Looking forward to some more IC tests, though I would suggest a longer pull than a ~5-6s 60-130 run if you're going to test. You probably won't see much difference with that short of a duration.

Last edited by earl3; 03-22-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I haven't kept up with with this thread but here is something to consider...
The .2s seem to be better in controlling IAT but what about flow? There is a balance. If IAT is better but flow is restricted then that hinders gain. If you measure LOAD or VE then you will know exactly how much better the .2s are. Right now, we only know .2s are better for IAT but not VE.
Maybe I'm wrong- if so please correct me... like I said, I have not looked thru all the posts..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Banned
MannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by earl3
Well, here is the fastest 997 turbo in existence smokin' a lucky at 249mph with the crazily priced but very effective Secan coolers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trnr7oGZrSY#t=56s

Impressive stuff!

Does that count?

Looking forward to some more IC tests, though I would suggest a longer pull than a ~5-6s 60-130 run if you're going to test. You probably won't see much difference with that short of a duration.
So it ran 245mph coz Secan coolers? lol you r talking about highly modded race car with taller gearing here. Tell us what is 0-300kmh on that monster in Autobahn ( straight surface ).

Longer pull? Proto and Switzer already ran 0-300kmh in 18's in Moscow Unlimi

Tell us what bolt on cars with Secan rans in 0-300kmh? I bet if u even know
Tony with built 3.9l gt2 ran 22-23sec
Who else you know?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I haven't kept up with with this thread but here is something to consider...
The .2s seem to be better in controlling IAT but what about flow? There is a balance. If IAT is better but flow is restricted then that hinders gain. If you measure LOAD or VE then you will know exactly how much better the .2s are. Right now, we only know .2s are better for IAT but not VE.
Maybe I'm wrong- if so please correct me... like I said, I have not looked thru all the posts..
Correct. The flow is OK for lower hp cars, but I am 99% sure it will be inadequate for higher hp applications w/ 3 inch piping all throughout.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Correct. The flow is OK for lower hp cars, but I am 99% sure it will be inadequate for higher hp applications w/ 3 inch piping all throughout.
Your absolutely right, and in our testing we found that the .2 intercoolers actually flowed LESS then a standard 997.1 Turbo IC.

We had them tested independently by a company called Wilson Manifolds, because they have the proper flow bench. I can't seem to find the actual data sheets, but they're in this video, along with some other pretty cool features of our cores...

Originally Posted by wrenchnut
GT2's are the best on the market, unless you spend $$$ finding the right super efficient cores.. Then you need someone to design some *****'n tanks cause there aren't any out there
Our cores are unlike what anyone else is using right now. I would stack them up against anything else out there right now.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
lol in your earlier thread you said it was all about IATs.

Also, why is 3" piping required unless your turbo outlet is 3"?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
When I had my ICs changed out, I wasn't thinking about IAT, it's cool in the Bay Area 11 out of 12 months anyway. My primary concern was air flow. Have you ever seen the end tanks on the OEMs? However, I don't know how much the .2 is better.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I thought you Houston guys are suppose to be like peas and carrots.

Originally Posted by bad107
lol in your earlier thread you said it was all about IATs.

Also, why is 3" piping required unless your turbo outlet is 3"?

Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
997.2 intercoolers are designed for stock flow..... efficiency goes down with increased flow and create more backpressure...this intercooler work like a aircondition....you compress air before and in the intercooler, after the intercooler the air can expand, this has a added cooling effect, but you pay with more work at the turbos .....a motorsport intercooler only cool air without a compression and expand effect and how greater the IC be how better it cools down and that without increased backpressure at the turbos...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS clubsport intercoolers vs 997.2 for 600whp