996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVOMS clubsport intercoolers vs 997.2 for 600whp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
EVOMS clubsport intercoolers vs 997.2 for 600whp

I am just wondering if the EVOMS are worth the extra money over the 997.2 gt2 stock units @ 600-650 WHP?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
I have the same power goals. I wanted 997.2 for the money factor. But I wasn't talked out of it by many. The plastic end tanks blow apart....

I went with Forge.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
wrenchnut is infamous around these parts
GT2's are the best on the market, unless you spend $$$ finding the right super efficient cores.. Then you need someone to design some *****'n tanks cause there aren't any out there

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrenchnut
GT2's are the best on the market, unless you spend $$$ finding the right super efficient cores.. Then you need someone to design some *****'n tanks cause there aren't any out there
Not true, there are many options far superior. The Evoms are better. Or you can step up to the 4 inch and 5 inch versions made either by Markski or Protomotive. I have the 5 inch Protos and my AITs stay cool even after lots of hard driving in Houston heat and humidity.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
The Evoms are better.

At what?

Another extensive (and pretty conclusive) test was performed tonight together with my friend skandalis comparing -in same road, similar conditions and same weight- AM ICs and GT2RS ICs. Large VTG car with modded internals (cams, rods, ported heads etc) running 1.55bar boost.

We got durametric logs, VBOX figures and also video. The GT2 RS coolers performed so much better than the AM ones that we were both shocked.
Before we post more details we saw an improvement of about 20-25degrees in IATs at 100-300kms (yes you read right).
IATs were getting as high as 59 degrees with the AM ones while with the GT2rs coolers they peaked at 41 degrees at around 250kms/hr and then started dropping to around 36degr at 300kms. We actually saw even lower IATs in some other runs.

in terms of performance;
100-200kms; 5.5 vs 5.0 secs best times
100-300kms; 18.65 vs 16.93 secs

Needless to say numbers above are personal best and i wonder if they could be improved with only 1 passenger.

Ambient temps were 12 degrees(AM) vs 9 degrees (GT2RS).

We tried to keep most variables constant as much as possible so we had the same car/tune, same passengers, same fuel quality, same exact road.
This was truly a big surprise.. More to follow

Show me data.

Last edited by earl3; 03-20-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 PM
SaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really nice
would have to agree with Dr_jitsu

Not true, there are many options far superior. The Evoms are better. Or you can step up to the 4 inch and 5 inch versions made either by Markski or Protomotive. I have the 5 inch Protos and my AITs stay cool even after lots of hard driving in Houston heat and humidity.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Earl has the data, hard to argue with that. Of course some should be better in theory, but without data we don't know which ones and by how much.

And we are only talking about 600 whp, I thought the really big IC's were only really good for the big builds.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Thanks sticking with the 997.2 I have.

Last edited by jonty; 03-20-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
At keeping AITs low...I don't have data for the Evoms, but I had a pair long ago and they are well made.

I did measure my AITs after I had the 5 inch Protos installed installed. Car was on close to full kill and making around 750 at the wheels. It was a very hot/humid day in Houston, and we did pull after pull and as I said, my AITs did not budge. I did not keep the file but I know that the 997 GT2s would not even be in the same league.

Having said that, the 997s are probably fine for a car that is not making big power.

Originally Posted by earl3
At what?

Show me data.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
lol please tell me how you can prove this. I would love to hear your technical explanation

Ok, smartass aside, I would really like to see some tests of the 997.2 versus the ~$2,500 intercoolers.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by bad107
lol please tell me how you can prove this. I would love to hear your technical explanation

Ok, smartass aside, I would really like to see some tests of the 997.2 versus the ~$2,500 intercoolers.
The graph above shows the data

Old 03-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by bad107

Reading comprehension....but let me explain it one more time for the learning challenged: We had a laptop hooked into the system via a durametric to measure, among other things (I think I was also using a Brockway) IATs. We ran the car hard, laptop measured the IATs, they barely budged. I think they were around 116 degrees. Do I have the data from 3 years ago, no. Amy I lying about the IATs, no.

To recap: Portable computer w/ durametric enables one to measure what is going on w/ the car...A/F ratios, IATs, revs, timing, etc. I have tuned my car several times this way.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 03-20-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Reading comprehension....but let me explain it one more time for the learning challenged: We had a laptop hooked into the system via a durametric to measure, among other things (I think I was also using a Brockway) IATs. We ran the car hard, laptop measured the IATs, they barely budged. I think they were around 116 degrees. Do I have the data from 3 years ago, no. Amy I lying about the IATs, no.

To recap: Portable computer w/ durametric enables one to measure what is going on w/ the car...A/F ratios, IATs, revs, timing, etc. I have tuned my car several times this way.
are you serious? taking logs of your car after you put new intercoolers on (and then deleting those logs) and not comparing it to anything....that proves nothing. All you said is that 997.2 could not compete. How do you know? Stop trying to make yourself feel better for spending $4.5k on intercoolers.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
One issue with the OEM intercoolers vs. EVOMS is the inlet and outlet diameter. If you have a 2.5" intake system with larger Y-Pipe, etc. the OEM hoses and IC's become the bottleneck on the car. If you are staying with the smaller OEM style intake, then it's probably the way to go.

However, if you have a 2.5" Y-pipe, larger throttle body and plenum, etc. and have upgraded turbos, you will want intercoolers with 2.5" openings on the end tanks, like the EVOMS or the OEM IC's and subsequent smaller diameter OEM hose become the restriction point of your intake system. This becomes more important the larger the turbos are or as you begin to run high boost levels...

We always recommend our 2.5" intercoolers to our customers that are purchasing our Y-Pipe / TB kit. The car will produce more power and spool quicker due to the increased flow a full 2.5" system offers.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 03-20-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Lol...il stay out...for now but entertained for sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS clubsport intercoolers vs 997.2 for 600whp