996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Drove my 996tt for the first time and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Darth GF is infamous around these parts
Drove my 996tt for the first time and have a few questions

So I bought my turbo over the winter and drove it for the first time yesterday. I have noticed a few things and was wondering what it was and if I should have my mechanic have a look at it.

It's a 2003 and has 40,000km.

1. The clutch is quite stiff when I start the car up but then gets soft. When driving the clutch is mostly stiff but when I go slowly (coming up to a light or in parking lots) it is soft again?

2. So I checked the oil level and I don't see any oil on the stick? Can this be the cause of #1?

3. The rear wing goes up and down, but when it gets down, the wing warning light comes on even though the wing do get down to its normal position... I checked the hydrolic reservoirs and one had some oil (not much though) on it. It needs new reservoir isn't it? Do people drive on it like that?

4. I did see 1.0 bar once or twice (it's hard to look down at the gauge while the car pulls like a freight train at expensive ticket speeds). It has the X50, but I'm not supposed to see 1.0bar am I? Signs of a reflash?

5. Finally the 2nd gear is a bit annoying to get in sometimes. A bit like if the synchro was getting worn out. Not really bad though. But I did noticed 2nd gear doesn't get in as smoothly as other gears. It does this only when changing up from 1st. Otherwise it is really normal and easy to get in gear. Is it normal 996tt behavior, a synchro going bad or something else?

That's about it. It may sound bad, but it's because I'm super crazy attentive to everything going on wondering if it's normal or not.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:22 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
i was told to change the hydraulic fluid system every two years(clutch).
the wing will brake sooner then later, you can disconnect it or buy a kit on ebay to leave it at a fixed position.

not sure about the second gear, there has been problems with the second gear in some models, not sure which year(s).. a good way to check if you don't have a second gear problem is to rev the engine in second and see if it pops out, if it dose, you will have to have the trans worked on and maybe rebuilt. if you have a short shifter this may take a little getting used to.
1.0 would tell me that you have a flash.. the bar depends on the weather too. if its really cold out you may get spikes of 1.0...

Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
1: It is a clutch assist by an accumulator and it looks like your accumulator is failing....
2: No stick, oil level can be check only with the on board computer (see owners manual...
3: Wings reservoir????? Many TT suffer from failing spoiler. Do a search here you will found man answers like a fix device....
4: X50 boost is 1.0 bar.
5:Some TT suffer second gear pop out but hard to select can be due to a worn synchro like you mention...

Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
forgot about the accumulator and i just change mine... thats it!! you can get a gt2 kit, or put a 997 one on like i did.. it feel very soft for city speeding...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Just to be clear, I checked the power steering/clutch oil level and I don't get a reading. No oil on the stick. Not the engine oil. This one is alright.

I thought maybe the clutch acting lile it does is because the oil level in the reservoir is too low.

Also I didnt experience any 2nd gear popping out, just sometimes a bit harder to get it in. But that could be related to the low clutch oil level. I'm taking it to my Porsche mechanic to be sure.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
i would have him flush the system and change the accumulator...like i wrote i put a 997tt in mine drives nice... you will have to change it anyway.... good luck

Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Darth GF
Just to be clear, I checked the power steering/clutch oil level and I don't get a reading. No oil on the stick. Not the engine oil. This one is alright.

I thought maybe the clutch acting lile it does is because the oil level in the reservoir is too low.

Also I didnt experience any 2nd gear popping out, just sometimes a bit harder to get it in. But that could be related to the low clutch oil level. I'm taking it to my Porsche mechanic to be sure.

It can be related. But it is strange that you are missing oil in those two reservoir. Best thing to do is fill them and try again. You need to add Pentosin 202 fluid only or Pentosin 11 if you can found any!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Does your car have an aftermarket exhaust system? My X50 only peaks at 0.9.

Also I have the exact same feeling with my 1st to 2nd shift, just needs a little more finesse than the other gear changes (even 3rd down to 2nd funny enough). Someone told me it was because the synchros are different for 2nd gear compared to 3rd and above (vague recollection). I too worried after hearing all the 2nd gear popout talk, but have never had an issue with that. Whether this is a prelude to some issue down the line I cannot say, but hopefully some others can chime in.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
If you did not do a Pre Purchase Inspection, I would suggest it is time to have your mechanic go over the car and tail him all the way. Like check the car out in detail, with a fine tooth comb. You have some things going on that should not happen. So before you run into trouble, spend a few hundred bucks and get the car completely checked out... by a mechanic that knows about Porsche TURBO!!. And... of course.. we would like to know what you find. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Have similar shifting with 1st and second, just takes some getting used to. I also bought the 997 shifter and it greatly helped. Cheap enough part and a fun DIY.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Well I filled the reservoir with Pentosin 202 and it's now much much better. Still, sometimes, when shifting slowly from 1st around 3000rpm, the shifter won't go in as smoothly as I'd like. But I'll just assume it's a 911 thing.

Boost will go all the way to 0.9bar (sometimes I see 1.0) but it's usually towards the redline. Shouldn't I get t .9bar sooner? Like 5000rpm??