996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Flashing High Beams as cop warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
Flashing High Beams as cop warning

so I was driving north up a hill and on the south bound lane, a big, lifted/ modded SUV was frantically flashing its high beams at me.

Of course I was wondering why......

Quarter mile later just as I crested the hill, there was a deputy with laser gun pointing my way. These guys always set up there so I was already on to them and well under the speed limit.

Anyways, I think it was very neighborly and thoughtful for the warning from Mr Big *** SUV.

Seems like something worthwhile to do for fellow modders!

thoughts?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by smistry007
so I was driving north up a hill and on the south bound lane, a big, lifted/ modded SUV was frantically flashing its high beams at me.

Of course I was wondering why......

Quarter mile later just as I crested the hill, there was a deputy with laser gun pointing my way. These guys always set up there so I was already on to them and well under the speed limit.

Anyways, I think it was very neighborly and thoughtful for the warning from Mr Big *** SUV.

Seems like something worthwhile to do for fellow modders!

thoughts?
You park your car in a cave and sleep under a rock?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
14 posts, 0 reps...

and such an insightful comment to boot.

In case you were wondering, 6speed is a positive, helpful and friendly forum.

Don't wear out your welcome so soon buddy.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I think what he is saying is that this is standard in other parts of the country but not in CA.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Been the thing to do here as long as I remember. Porsche drivers always used to flash as well in the '80s. Not so much today.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:15 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
I flash my lights every time I see those ninja cops hiding in the bushes with their cycles and radar guns. They are everywhere where I live, but I can honestly say I have never had a single person warn me since I have been living in Tucson. I'm from the Midwest and that was a common thing. I'm trying to start a trend here out west.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:19 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nick49
Been the thing to do here as long as I remember. Porsche drivers always used to flash as well in the '80s. Not so much today.

What happened to all the "Porsche people"? When I had my 911 about 12 years ago, I would get a flash and a wave from all the Porsche drivers...Well, 911 driver's at least. Not much these days.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
I flash my lights every time I see those ninja cops hiding in the bushes with their cycles and radar guns. They are everywhere where I live, but I can honestly say I have never had a single person warn me since I have been living in Tucson. I'm from the Midwest and that was a common thing. I'm trying to start a trend here out west.
I can't stand the ninjas!!!!

Annoying watching one go backwards up a hill into some bushes on the side of the highway. They there were hiding behind a construction wall when they were working on the divider wall on the highway. Car was invisible but he was peeking his head and laser gun up over the top of it.

But truth be told, sounds like something I would do if I was a cop.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I
But truth be told, sounds like something I would do if I was a cop.

Ha ha as much as I love to hate them I have to admit I would probably enjoy doing the same... The thing that frustrates me is how they are building in spots for cops to hide durring highway construction now days.

Oh and in reference to the original comment- I always alert oncoming traffic of the pending 5-0 threats!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Me too, it's a big thing in Canada. I saw a car show they shoot here in Canada (motoring on tsn network) and one of the hosts got pulled over and fined for flashing his lights to warn others of the speed trap up ahead.
Basically the ticket said he was impersonating an emergency vehicle by flashing his lights. He took it to court and won on the grounds that emergency vehicle lights flash left to right not on and off.
He then went on his show and ranted about how stupid the Ontario provincial police were and how lame the ticket was and if you enforce the law you better know what your enforcing.
It made me smile, if anybody knows the show it was the Kenzie's corner segment.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 AM
yo_clarkie is infamous around these parts
Australia / New Zealand - flash once or twice. Its a national pastime as 3 tickets within 2 years equals no license for 9 months

Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I always warn on coming traffic with my head lights if there is a cop hiding,as I look around when someone flashes me...Us Harley riders acknowledge each other but I also acknowledge other bikers with the hand gesture also....Some bikers that hotrod,like myself,also put a on/off switch to our head lights to warn others of cops hiding....

Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 AM
TheSilverFox is infamous around these parts
Have only had a Porsche for a couple months but have never seen another driver even wave. Owning a Corvette, 90% of other drivers either wave or give the V. There is even a lady that's probably 60 who always gives me a wave. Maybe it's goofy to some but I think it's cool.

I always flash other drivers when I see a smokey with a radar.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i've never seen anyone do it since moving to MA from the UK, everyone does it in england (or used to anyway) i do it here but it seems like people have no clue what im doing

Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Been a thing to do around this part since I can remember. Less and less people doing it now, though. I think I heard a few years back that it was illegal, but I am sure a cop can find about anything to pull you over if they wanted...

Interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flashing High Beams as cop warning