996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What to watch out for in a 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
What to watch out for in a 996TT

I have a 997.2 with PDK that I absolutely love but I realize I want to hone my skills on the track using a manual transmission. As a result I have been looking at perhaps getting a 996 to add to my stable for use primarily on the track to get experience really driving a car (w/ stick). Initially I have been looking at non turbo but I found a 2001 996TT that I really like. Since I am new to the Turbo scene, what do I need to watch out for with these cars when considering buying. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
You're probably not getting much response because you should use the very helpful "search" function as this topic has been covered for many years over and over again.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
here is a link to the best accumulation of issues related to the 996TT

Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
track porsche

As a 996TT owner who tracks his car regularly, and has put a lot of money into turning the 996TT into a track capable car, my advice would be not to get a 996TT as a track platform. You are much better off with a 996 GT3. It's just a better starting point. Yes you will miss the turbo kick on the straight aways, but you will love the GT3 at the end of the straights and in the turns. GT3s are lighter, are rear wheel drive, have better suspension geometry (do you know you have to add camber plates and/or adjustable lower control arms to get > 2 degrees of camber in a 996TT).

Then again, if money is not an object, get a GT2 or get a turbo and put $30k into suspension, brakes and power mods and you'll have a beast of a track car, just a much lighter wallet.

Just my two cents after getting further into a 996TT track car than I ever thought I would.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I concur with what joe said. I never owned a 996TT but everyone I know who has had one had to do extensive suspension work...and even then it really is not as good a track car as the GT3.

Another option is an e46 M3. What makes the 996TT special is the Metzger motor which is capable of 800 hp w/ out touching internals.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Thanks for the tips...
1) Post #2 gave me a chuckle....how do I know what to search for if I don't know what the problems are? :-)
2) Post #3...I am not a member of Renntech
3) Thanks for the tips post #4...I have heard that TTs have soft suspension and heavy.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Lots of little things break on these cars like the rear spoiler hydraulics and micro switches in the door. Coolant resivours fail also. The big expensive things to watch for are a second gear pop out issue with the transmission (it will pop out on deceleration if you have issues), and over revving which could damage the engine. Get a computer check on the over revs for the engine and check the oil filter for metal. Everything else is just maintenance and wear. Get a pre purchase inspection from a trusted dealer or shop. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Search for "commom problems 996tt" also.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
You already have a Turbo, so why not get something different for the track? If you want to stick with a 911 then definitely get a GT3 instead.