996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tires experts needed ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:14 AM
911TTurbo is infamous around these parts
Question Tires experts needed ...

Hi all,

Do you guys think there would be any problem running the following tire types? Any issue with performance due to different threading, etc.?

Front:
BF Goodrich g-Force KDW
245/30x20

Rear:
Pirelli P Zero
295/25x20

Thanks.

P.S. Due to timing reason I have to mix, otherwise I would go with all Pirelli.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
It's never a good idea to mix brands of tires especially if you are going to be doing spirited driving or track work. They are not designed to work with one another and, guess what, they won't. Best,

Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Check out F1 Crazydriver on the thread about brake rotors. Don't for any reason go cheap on tires, brakes or suspension. Mix and matching tires is a disaster looking for a place to happen if you drive the car with the least little bit of spirit. You could even find out the difference between understeer and oversteer (hint, understeer you drive straight of the corner, oversteer you go the same direction but backwards!)

John in Vancouver

Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
(hint, understeer you drive straight of the corner, oversteer you go the same direction but backwards!)

Rep points for you!!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 PM
TX996TT is just really niceTX996TT is just really niceTX996TT is just really niceTX996TT is just really nice
I recommend staying with N rated Porsche specific tires. Previously, I installed non rated Hankook Ventus V12s with very poor results. The rear felt unstable - like the side wall was rolling under when side loaded. Never had the issue when running N spec. My guess is the Porsche rated tires have stiffer side walls to deal with the rear engine weight. Much happier with the performance since moving back to Bridgestone RE050As

Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TX996TT
I recommend staying with N rated Porsche specific tires. Previously, I installed non rated Hankook Ventus V12s with very poor results. The rear felt unstable - like the side wall was rolling under when side loaded. Never had the issue when running N spec. My guess is the Porsche rated tires have stiffer side walls to deal with the rear engine weight. Much happier with the performance since moving back to Bridgestone RE050As
That has nothing to do with the "N" rating and everything to do with sidewall stiffness. The V12's are soft sidewalled harder compound tires. There are many options with stiffer sidewalls that are not "N" rated. I have Kumho Exsta XS with a stiff sidewall and they drastically outperform my previous "N" rated tires. Falken Azenis RT 615K is another example that works really well.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Mixing tires isnt as big a deal as its being made out here.

Beyond looking getto on a Porsche, I wouldnt think twice about doing it.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 PM
TX996TT is just really niceTX996TT is just really niceTX996TT is just really niceTX996TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by Nikolas
That has nothing to do with the "N" rating and everything to do with sidewall stiffness. The V12's are soft sidewalled harder compound tires. There are many options with stiffer sidewalls that are not "N" rated. I have Kumho Exsta XS with a stiff sidewall and they drastically outperform my previous "N" rated tires. Falken Azenis RT 615K is another example that works really well.
Agree - sidewall stiffness is the critical factor but how does the consumer know if a tire is stiff enough prior to purchase? TireRack provides load rating & compound specs but is that representative of side load capability? Tires meeting N spec are tested and certified by the OEM giving the end user assurance the tire will perform. Realize we can read the boards and get a wide range of "opinions" on a particular tire -many of which contradict