996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Odd Stage 3/LWFW issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Speedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant future
Odd Stage 3/LWFW issue

So I have owned my 'new' 996TT for about 2 weeks or so. I have had a couple of issues that my mechanic is recitfy today. This is Alan's old car, and In general I love it...Alan loved this car and it shows. I don't have the list of mods in front of me, but it is a protosport built 640BHP example.
When I picked car up, it was a Saturday and I had the parkway to myself in some sections...Greddy boost controller on, running about 1.3bar....take the car thru paces, 1,2,3,4 gear awesome switch to 5th gear, climb up to 4k rpm(and it pulls like a freight train), as soon as car gets to 4k+ the engine screams to redline, and NO pulling....as if clutch is slipping....Boost controller off(i know less power), and all gears run perfect...boost controller on and above description will happen? It happened for my mechanic today. He asked me if clutch was stock, i said no it is a spec stage 3 w/ LWFW.
Is this the symptom of the beginning of worn clutch?

Any ideas? TIA

Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Your clutch is on its way out.

Max torque demands on the clutch are in higher gears. The giveaway is that it goes away at lower power level (EBC off).

Has nothing to do with the LWFW.

Sorry...

Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM
SaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really nice
+1...

Originally Posted by ttpopo
your clutch is on its way out.

Max torque demands on the clutch are in higher gears. The giveaway is that it goes away at lower power level (ebc off).

Has nothing to do with the lwfw.

Sorry...

Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Speedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant future
jeez ok...TY...so I read alot about Spec(almost all neg)...should I buy CM stage 3? and does LWFW need to be resurfaced, or can I get away

Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
why are you messing with the flywheel? Pressure plates or clutch discs maybe...

Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Here's a quick way to tell if it's the clutch. Clutch slip will always be the most apparent when your under the highest amount of load, which normally happens in higher gears at lower speeds.

For example, try accelerating hard from 30 or 40 mph in 4th or 5th gear....if it's going to slip, that would be when. Typically at higher rpm's believe it or not the clutch is under less load. Something about your particular scenario seems a bit strange. Definitely get that boost controller checked out...

Alan took great care of that car and is a stand up guy. I can't imagine the clutch was on the way out and he didn't notice it.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Ok...update, its NOT the greddy...its the clutch. We took car out again, and did some 4,5th gear pulls....slip. Pretty bummed, as I wont buy another Spec(especially reading the numerous threads about how much they suck) Oh well, CM stage 3 and labor...Ka ching.....always do a PPI.
On a positive note, the P1126 turns out was a header to turbo exhaust leak.