996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Police Scanner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Police Scanner

I'm looking for a scanner that I can have installed somewhere in the dash of the Murcielago - I know that Bearcat makes a model that is pretty good and on the smaller side - does anyone know the unit I'm talking about?

Old 05-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Scanner

Robert, the Uniden BCT-8 is a top of the line base or mobile scanner...$179.99 from AES in Las Vegas. Don't know about dash mounting...might need a custom plate...has great specs...especially for picking up chp stuff. Check it out....

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ners/2008.html

Old 05-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
I just got that unit, but it's a bit large - I need somethng more discreet and I know for a fact that at they make a smaller unit. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Scanner

they also make the Bc-350C, which is $99.99 but doesn't have all the capability of the Bct-8. It's only 1.6" h x 5.2"w.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Does the "best" scanner depend on where you live and what the police are doing in your area?

Old 05-26-2005, 07:13 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
do you have to have a hardwired base unit?? I have a digital handheld: Bearcat BC-296D that works awesome and is really easy to program, etc... I like the flexibility of a handheld, and being able to use it only when needed, in other cars, and at the race track, etc...

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ners/0296.html

dave w

Old 05-26-2005, 07:32 PM
eshaun is infamous around these partseshaun is infamous around these parts
I'm going to install this unit in my car...but I also want the ability to communicate on some HAM bands as well as listen in.

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/208h/

Old 05-26-2005, 07:38 PM
OK Guys, I bought the 350C so that should work just fine - I can't wait to get my car back from Reus!

Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 PM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Zippy
Does the "best" scanner depend on where you live and what the police are doing in your area?
YES!!! Robert more than likely the PD except for CHP uses a digital encoded trunked system, and as of now there are only 4 scanners on the market that will decode a APCO 25 network, two are made by Uniden and they are the BC296-D handheld and BC796-D Mobile/Base Scanner the the other company is Radio Shack (but GRE actually makes it) with the PRO-96 handheld and the PRO-2096 Mobile/Base Scanner.

Both are very good scanners.

EDIT: I just checked and Gilroy PD and most of Nor Cal but not all is still analog but Santa Clara Sheriff has some digital frequencies.

Last edited by dbelleperc; 05-26-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Excellent information David - I owe you a beer.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks David

Old 06-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
Here is the Radio Shack Pro-2096 Mobile/Base Scanner in a 04 Saturn's center console.

I was doing some more searching on the scanners and the main difference between the Uniden and the Radio Shack scanners is, The Uniden has 1000 channels vs. 500 for the radio shack, the Uniden can pick up military avation it comes with rechargeable batteries and all of the cables that you would have to buy extra for the radio shack scanner. But I have found the Radio Shack scanner as low as $450 vs $509 for the Uniden, any other questions just ask.

Last edited by dbelleperc; 06-02-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:17 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Robert,
Here is the Uniden BCT-7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

and my installation of it in the most recycled picture of all time... Sorry guys, but he DID ask......

Old 06-03-2005, 09:21 AM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
Ken: you have full equipment, I'm drooling...

Old 06-03-2005, 05:27 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by dbelleperc

EDIT: I just checked and Gilroy PD and most of Nor Cal but not all is still analog but Santa Clara Sheriff has some digital frequencies.
is this public info available on the net?

kpv, will the bct-7 fit in a single DIN spot (height-wise)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Police Scanner