996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Car Failed Emissions Test.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 AM
JTB
JTB is infamous around these partsJTB is infamous around these parts
How long have you owned the car? Is this the first time you have had to pass emissions? I am guessing that since you indicated the car has sat for some time that she is not new to you, but also a car you purchased used.

Assuming she previously passed emissions, something is now not working correctly. If it is running super rich, not only will it not pass emissions, but you will also cook your cats. I don't think the cats are the problem, at least they weren't initially.

Stop dumping additives into the gas and, as ard mentioned, take the car to a quality shop; internet conjecture is unlikely to fix the problem. There must be a number of good shops close by given that you are in Vancouver; one thing you can find here is a recommendation

Good luck,

Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
karimhamir is infamous around these parts
Its an 02. I have had the car since 2004. However, this is the first time in where I had to take it through emissions with an driving test. Usually the emission dept just plugs in the obd and if no codes, I am on my way.

I drive the car about 10,000 kms per year and park it six months out of the year.

My gas consumption has drastically increased also.

I am going to change all the plugs, sensors, and try to run it again.

I also agree that this is beyond the scope of an internet conjunture. However, it doesnt hurt to ask.

One guy went so far as to tell me to dump paint thinner in the car to clean out CATS.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
get the sensor fixed, borrow someones stock exhaust.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 PM
IMROCKS is infamous around these parts
Ootmar Automotive are very knowledge and excellent fabricators, Weissach is also a great shop. For sure you are going to need cats, and high quality cats at that. No point in retesting your vehicle until the crank sensor issue was been dealt with and the cats have been replaced.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karimhamir
Its an 02. I have had the car since 2004. However, this is the first time in where I had to take it through emissions with an driving test. Usually the emission dept just plugs in the obd and if no codes, I am on my way.

I drive the car about 10,000 kms per year and park it six months out of the year.

My gas consumption has drastically increased also.

I am going to change all the plugs, sensors, and try to run it again.

I also agree that this is beyond the scope of an internet conjunture. However, it doesnt hurt to ask.

One guy went so far as to tell me to dump paint thinner in the car to clean out CATS.
OP, sorry, I misunderstood.

So, what exatly are all KNOWN mods to you car? any 'suspected but not confirmed'?

has anyone run logs? Durametric, autologic, etc?? Not 'codes', but actually looking at things like AFR, timing, etc, etc to understand what the DME is tryiong to do and why? This really should be childs play to diagnose- just doing emissions tests and looking for codes is really way too simple...by logging data you will see how the DME is reacting and this will point you to likely culprits.

HOWEVER, it is critical to know what has been modded to interpret all this-

Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
I was thinking the same thing...

OP has no idea WHAT he has...bought a used car. He may have NOT CATS and someone reflashed the DME to ignore the cat codes....

He needs a real shop.
Agree. The OP needs a real shop.

Even if someone gets lucky and makes an educated guess as to what is wrong, that is not going to fix the problem.

It takes wrenching.

Unless one is prepared to get his hand dirty, sometimes very dirty, and has the skill/experience and access to the necessary equipment/test equipment/tools, many of these things get way beyond the ability of a layman to address very quickly.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I suggest you talk to James Daniels at Scan Automotive in North Vancouver. Excellent service and knowledge there. I've used them for about 8 years on my P-Cars. They did the modifications to my 996 TT and do all my maintenance also. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

John in Vancouver (actually North Vancouver)

Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Okay, so I spent the last three days working on my car. I changed all the plugs and o2 sensor. I also changed the MAF. As soon as I started my engine after R & R, I noticed a night and day difference. More power, less gas consumption and after reaction time when accelerating.

I think I am going to go into emissions and see how it will do.

It took me three hours to do the right side and about 1.5 hours to do the left sensors.

Next job is the Crankshaft position sensor. Still can't locate this thing....

Old 04-07-2012, 05:19 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Is all you care about just 'passing smog'?

Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
For now.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:42 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
With numbers like this, I suspect that catalytic converters aren't functional.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 PM
gneypiks is infamous around these partsgneypiks is infamous around these parts
put the stock exhaust n cats back.....did it last year.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM
ecudooberhead is infamous around these parts
I've got a stock X50 exhaust with cats for sale if you want to go that route

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Turbo Singh is infamous around these parts
If all else fails and you need a stock exhaust, you can use mine, i kept it for this exact same reason. lol Damn AirCare!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Do you have an email or a number I can call you at turbo Singh?

Karim.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Failed Emissions Test.