996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What is the best car cover for DD non garaged car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 PM
s4gotten has a spectacular aura abouts4gotten has a spectacular aura abouts4gotten has a spectacular aura about
What is the best car cover for DD non garaged car?

I know I know , A GARAGE! But it just not doable right now. So I need an easy on/off cover that will protect from some pretty Ruf (haha) southern PA winters. Also it should look appropriately gangster or (should I go ****ty to deter vagrants ?) And costing under $8 US would be a plus.
Thanks for any help my Pcar People,
s4gotten

Ps obviously it was supposed to be BEST car cover but n no editing titles I guess?

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-09-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: fixed
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
California car covers are nice but cost a premium. Lots of options. You get what you pay for. If you want under $8 buy a tarp from Walmart. But expect scratches and buffering marks and possible mold build up if you don't drive it much.
Not worth it.
Sell the car get a bus pass.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
Was 8 dollars a typo?

I've only seen covers work well if the car is spotless when you put them on, otherwise you end up with swirls from the dust that gets on the car. Now if this is just for the winter months, then maybe you just accept swirls for the half the year and do an awesome polish job at the end of the season?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 AM
s4gotten has a spectacular aura abouts4gotten has a spectacular aura abouts4gotten has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the quick answers guys. I especially likes gearheads "get a bus pass" suggestion. Obviously I was kidding about it costing "under $8 US" since I'm assuming a good cover costs hundreds of dollars. Im looking for a high qualitt cover to use everyday, like a fake garage. I wanna take it off in the morning and put it back on every night, have the car be well protectd from the elements, all while not scratchin, scuffing, swirling, or stressing my paint. Does it exist?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s4gotten
Thanks for the quick answers guys. I especially likes gearheads "get a bus pass" suggestion. Obviously I was kidding about it costing "under $8 US" since I'm assuming a good cover costs hundreds of dollars. Im looking for a high qualitt cover to use everyday, like a fake garage. I wanna take it off in the morning and put it back on every night, have the car be well protectd from the elements, all while not scratchin, scuffing, swirling, or stressing my paint. Does it exist?
Not really, no. Because as soon as you start driving, you pick up various contaminants that settle onto your paint. So, unless you're going to wash the car every time before you cover it, you're going to rub that dirt/dust/grit into the paint with the cover. And, before long, it'll be swirl city. Make sense?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 AM
That does make a lot of sense. Damn so I'm almost better with some type of canapy set up and constant washing than a cover. Wow consider mind blown

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
That does make a lot of sense. Damn so I'm almost better with some type of canapy set up and constant washing than a cover. Wow consider mind blown
Honestly, if you have a DD, non-garaged car (and black too, I think I saw from your other thread) - I would skip the cover all together, and save the $300. Maybe a windshield UV guard would be handy to protect your interior, like this:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=996ttintacc

Instead of the cover, I'd have a reputable pro detailer check out your paint and give you a plan. From a detailing site I belong to, I'd heard good things about Oakes Detailing - they're in your area. See about getting a durable sealant applied to your paint, like Cquartz or Opti-Coat 2.0. Maintenance hand washes in between, and you should be fine.

My $0.02. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
I wanna take it off in the morning and put it back on every night, have the car be well protectd from the elements, all while not scratchin, scuffing, swirling, or stressing my paint. Does it exist?
Since you're only going to cover it at night, most of the damage to your paint will be done by the sun during the day. A cover works best in your garage for dust, since there's no wind to grind the dirt into your paint. I've seen guys cover thier clean cars in the morning at a project site, and when they'd remove it in the evening, the car was covered in dust blown up under the cover by the wind.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
ENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the rough
Have it detailed tell them to coat it with Aquartz and some wax over that or maybe 3M or vinyl the whole car ?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
The stars. Car cover a pain to put on/take off. Car should be clean (dust free -- impossible nearly) and dry.

Really, just avoid parking the car under trees, keep it washed (free of bird mess) and treat the exterior to a good detailing before bad weather and then after: cleaning, clay bar, wax, the works.

My 02 Boxster has been outside since day 1 nearly and the top is still ok as is the dash and interior. These are tough, well made cars, with quality interiors.

Also, my 03 Turbo sits outside every time I use the car and I use it in all kinds of weather.

The car still looks great.

I do not have an outside car cover for the Turbo, but I have a inside cover (came with the car - which I bought used) and I never use it. I have a very good outside car car -- Porsche brand -- for my Boxster but only use it when I leave town for a week or more and cover the *clean* and *dry* Boxster after I park it under an open car port.

Sincerely,

Macster.