996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help: question about powder coating wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH986ART is infamous around these parts
Help: question about powder coating wheels

Wanted to know if its possible to powder coat the center piece of a 2-piece wheel only(leaving the lip and bolts in normal form). I was told by one of a local powder coater that it cannot be done, unless I do the whole wheel or paint, is this true?

Anyone with this experience?

Old 05-27-2005, 09:17 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help: question about powder coating wheels

Originally posted by TECH986ART
Wanted to know if its possible to powder coat the center piece of a 2-piece wheel only(leaving the lip and bolts in normal form). I was told by one of a local powder coater that it cannot be done, unless I do the whole wheel or paint, is this true?

Anyone with this experience?
I know HRE is looking at switching to powder coating there centers instead of painting becuase of chipping of paint. 2 piece wheels unsure, HRE's are 3 piece.....

Lou

Old 05-28-2005, 10:28 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
It can be done, but only if the wheel is taken apart. I think they gave you that answer because they don't want the liability of taking the wheels apart and putting them back together. Also, if the centers have recesses for the barrel bolts, it's possible that the powder coat will fill the holes to the point that it won't allow the bolts to go back in.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 05-28-2005, 11:24 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Just FYI........last several 3-piece wheel sets I've purchased I've bought unassembled...........paint & urathane clear centers (or whatever) at my shop.... & assemble here.

Old 05-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
It can be done they just don't like doing them because of the labor intensive process of taping off the area that isn't going to be powder coated.

Centers podwer coated with polished lip.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
I had my two piece taken apart and powder coated - things really take a beating and new chip. Paid something like $80/wheel. Do it!