996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

dead battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:33 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
dead battery

am trying to open my hood hooked the charger up to the fuse box as i have done in the past, nothing, no reading on charger, it is getting juice to the fuse box but does not seem to be accepting the chg

Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Sounds like you've drained the battery dead a few times before? That drastically reduces its lifespan. If it's no longer accepting a charge, then the answer is pretty simple: Time to buy a new battery.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:47 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
geee but how do i get the trunk open, as i remember there is a release cable someplace

Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Cable release is behind the passenger side wheel well cover. I ran it to my tow hook outlet when I removed my bumper for cleaning this year JIC.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 PM
wross i'll give it a look. in the front of the wheel well correct

Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 PM
anyone have a pic of the trunk release cable

Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
This is a picture with the bumper removed. It is a steel wire and you have to pull really hard to open the bonnet. You can reach it from the right wheel housing front area....Hope this help.

Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Speedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud of
It is a pain in the rear end to reach, I did it on my dads 2002 turbo, it is on the passenger side and you have to reach over the tire way up into the wheel well along side the trunk. You can feel for it pretty easily and you have to give it a good yank to get it to release the latch. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
if you hook a 12v battery to the terminal in the fuse box, the electric front trunk release should work. manual covers that. i think you are charging from the fuse box which isn't working since the battery can't be charged any longer.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djantlive
if you hook a 12v battery to the terminal in the fuse box, the electric front trunk release should work. manual covers that. i think you are charging from the fuse box which isn't working since the battery can't be charged any longer.
This...

Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 PM
got it. turned my charger to low chg and all worked fine . opened trunk and direct charge got it started thanks sor the help

Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I agree that this is unlikely to start the car. But it's MUCH easier than than finding the cable.. The point is that you can hook up your jumper cables here and pop the hood gaining you access to battery.

Steve, if you have some time, you might want to buy a battery charger with a cigarette lighter output, charge her up for 12 hours or so and not only will the hood open, but you may be able to get her started and to the shop so THEY can do the heavy lifting. BTW even in "regular" size batteries you can get are huge, medium or smallish all of which will work well. The one Porsche specifies seems like super overkill to me. It's like 80lb....

If your car sits a lot like mine tends to do, consider getting an optima deep cycle battery. It's a bit more resistant to being damaged if you drain it a few times.... and don't forget the C-Tek Charger with cigarette lighter adapter to keep her topped off. The more amps the better, these are all trickle chargers but a 5 hour trickle is more my style compared to a 12 hour trickle.

Originally Posted by djantlive

Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Glad it worked out!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM
thanks guys being an old car guy i relized my charger only worked at the 10 amp side all is well now thanks again

Old 10-20-2012, 05:09 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Kids left the passenger side door open and I now have a dead battery. How do I open the hood and secondly would the Porsche trickle charger open up the hood after few hours of charging?

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: dead battery