996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why we own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Charsiu is infamous around these partsCharsiu is infamous around these parts
Family used to own a white 964 or 993, not sure which model, can barely remember the look... (That's how little was, lol)
And I was dying to own a porsche ever since.
Too bad I was 20 something years too young to get a driver license.
So just like everyone of you, a childhood dream

I owned a 2005 STi and a e46 M3. And thought it would be cool to combine two car together... so I did.
Now I have a 4WD, 6 cylinders, Boxer Engine, Twin Turbo Coupe

Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Because it puts a HUGE grin on my face every time I drive it, and after years of ownership, I still say out loud to myself "What an amazing car!" over and over every time I drive it.

Plus it's an everyday driver I can put my kids in and go grocery shopping with, and I can actually see out of the car versus a Ferrari or any other car in its class that has horrible visibility. It also fits my 6'4 250 pound body in it really comfortably. Then I can take it to the track and it's amazing there too. It's a car that is great at everything and poor at nothing (except maybe carrying a sheet of plywood).

Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 PM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
Build quality, performance, handling, reliablity, driveability, comfort ... nothing comes close. As a kid, I dreamed about many cars and many dissapointed. When it came to Porsche, I was hooked after my first one.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lugesq
...The car runs and runs...
that´s the point. if you want a car to show off, there are plenty of exotic alternatives out there.
But Porsche builds reliable, emotional cars that are meant to be driven hard unlike others who build fast boulevard cruisers that are just "one lap ponies".

Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Because it's a thinking man's supercar.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
vmcboss is infamous around these parts
Way back in 1976 I bought a brand new 455 Trans Am. I got my *** handed to me in 1978 when a 911 Turbo walked up and all over me. Since then had to do the family thing and just last month I bought a new to me 996 Turbo S Coupe as a 3rd car....its not about ego or funds...its timing for me. I looked at Turbo V8 Espirit, Ferrari, Lambo, Viper and Corvette. The whale tail got me back then and that's the reason why I bought the 2005!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
A 911E, then a 911S, then a 930, then a 964, then a 996 and now a 996 TT. As I have gotten older, each car has gotten a little bit roomier, a little bit quieter and rides a little bit better. At the same time each one has accelerated, cornered and stopped a little bit better than the previous one. The restaurant valet will keep it up front on Friday night and I can autcross it on Sunday and run it on track at a DE on Monday. 911s just might be the perfect car!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Has and will always be my Dream car there is no other drivers car better than a Porsche thats why I own two.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:49 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
because we have small penises. well, at least thats what all my jealous friends say.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Morden314 is infamous around these parts
For my 996t, its the best 2+2 sports car that you can get for 40k. All the safety, performance, visibility you want with easily available parts, and you can fit your kids in the back.

I had a 944 and it was great and still has some qualities that aren't found any more. I could fit 4 tires with rims in the back for track days and it had perfect pedal position for heal toe. It was funny that my 4cyl was as fast as an 8cyl Firebird (83). My Euro 76 930 was a great car with the jump to hyperspace feeling when boost hit all at once. It is amazing that not much changed in the car from 76-89, you can't say that about any car now. Great suspension and brakes, and love that classic tail. Still it has no safety features other than getting out of the way, no a/c, and parts are becoming unobtainium.

With prices going into 35's what honestly can you buy (stock) that compare that can still fit your kids in the back?

Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 PM
drug delivery is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lugesq
As a middle aged guy who has owned Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, etc., I am struck by the lack of a zen connection many people have with their cars.
I too find it odd that people just don't have a connection with their car. I work with a guy who thinks his Toyota Highlander and Camry are the greatest things on earth. I always tell him Toyota's are for people who don't care about driving. He usually starts to get a annoyed and can't quite muster a rebuttal.

He recently bought a BMW 528xi, which he loves, even though I still find so terribly boring. But at least he's seems to have started to find some soul for driving.

Last edited by drug delivery; 05-20-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM
M BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud of
I have loved Porsche since I was a young boy in the early 1980s. I have had posters and models since. I have an affinity for a variety of marques, from the German to the Japanese, the Italian, British and American.

I came close to owning a 914 1.8 when I was 15. When I bought my first car a year or so later I went a different route, with a series of Acura Legends and a strong BMW enthusiasm, wanting a fast sedan for my 1-car scenario as a student through college and law school.

I thought that my first special car was going to be an E28 M5. When the time came in 2003 it was not much different in feel or faster than my E36, and left me wanting more. I drove an NSX and that was that, having followed the NSX since its inception.

In addition to NSXs and a 6-speed TL, over the past years I have owned a few BMWs, including an E46 M3 and my current E28 M5.

I consider the M5 and NSX the permanent collection.

With those two in the garage, it was time to satisfy the Porsche craving. I considered the 997 S/4S and even the 993, but ultimately found a CPO 996 Turbo was the best fit for me.

The Turbo will be my daily driver for most of the year, complete with snow tires in the winter. I will keep it relatively stock for the next 2-3 years, with an APR flash and an aftermarket exhaust to come in a month or two.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 PM
mike4s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drug delivery
I too find it odd that people just don't have a connection with their car. I work with a guy who thinks his Toyota Highlander and Camry are the greatest things on earth. I always tell him Toyota's are for people who don't care about driving. He usually starts to get a annoyed and can't quite muster a rebuttal.

He recently bought a BMW 528xi, which he loves, even though I still find so terribly boring. But at least he's seems to have started to find some soul for driving.
Well you can love a Toyota Highlander or a Land Cruiser for their reliability or their good off road capabilities

Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I agree with the poster that said that we dreampt about it since we were kids. Those sexy, wide body flared out Porsche turbos were doing 5.0 second 0-60s in the 80s when I was in high school. The thing is that it's even better than you thought when you bought it after you've owned for a while. Porsche is the holy grail of the drivable sports car. It is simply the toughest, most over engineered sports car on the market. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 AM
996tt bandit is infamous around these parts
for me because it's looks do not attract any unwanted attention, like a ferrari. and no one would think it could have nearly 700 bhp.....no outward signs of this. and the kids can go in the back. perfeckt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why we own a Porsche?