996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why we own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Lugesq is infamous around these partsLugesq is infamous around these parts
Why we own a Porsche?

As a middle aged guy who has owned Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, etc., I am struck by the lack of a zen connection many people have with their cars. My newest (purchased in 2011) is a 2003 GT2 with about 8K miles. The car does things to me both physically and emotionally that no car has done before. Forget the all wheel drive, traction control, etc. I want something that tightens my .... when I step on the gas with a little too much adrenaline. I took my 17 yo old out and let him drive it. Turned white with sweat dripping down his forehead and white nuckles. The car runs and runs. I am trying to take him down to Laguna Seca for a track day. Finally, I truly do smile when I step in the car in the morning with coffee in hand. I don't drive it everyday. I like to let it sit for awhile like a girlfriend in high school you know you want to call back for a second date.

So with drink and maybe a cigar in hand, my question is why do you love your Porsche?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Wolk's Wagon is infamous around these partsWolk's Wagon is infamous around these parts
The 996TT is a true HotRod/Super Car that is also an awesome sexy daily driver all at the same time.

Last edited by Wolk's Wagon; 04-18-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 AM
mike4s is infamous around these parts
With such performance and price 996TT is the top bargain car in the market today.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:23 AM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Because we dreamt about it when we were kids.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
and we are now big kids with disposable income

Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Speedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant futureSpeedtrapped has a brilliant future
my fathers 1st car out of the Navy was 356. He did amateur rally back in the late 50's. he loved Porsche(only version he ever owned, got married had 6 of us and sold her). His eyes would light up when he talked about it. That was a long time ago and my father has since passed. I have owned some beasts, S8, CL65 AMG, RS6, 996 C4s. I love this car, my stage 3 Caddy Vagon sits in garage , alot. I drive this car back and forth to work, 90 miles a day...w/ traffic. The feedback from this car stimulates me, and i often think of my father.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
The turbo impressed me as a kid, but seemed only to remain a dream. Fast forward to the present, and given all the choices out there, the turbo seemed the natural choice. I bought it because it impresses me. Don't really care about impressing anyone else, which is why it remains looking stock. The car is kept on the down-low; almost no one knows I even have it. People judge too much. Only wish my dad was here, because he'd have loved it too.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:28 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I bought my first Porsche when I was 29,a new 1986 944 turbo,because I thought it was the ultimate car out there that was within a working geraheads reach..It was a great engineered auto then,fast,efficent and an everyday super car..
Plus I was happy at that age,a fireman since 21 yrs old, to be able to buy one,which was around $40,000 then....It was a dream come true coming from American and Jap sports cars/muscle cars...I loved it so much I bought a new 1989 944 Turbo S model in the exact color and same wheels because I didnt want people to know I could afford to do it...LOL...Then I built that up with help from Auto Authority..
I had a new 1999 C-2 that I lightly modied and then a new 2002 C-2 that I supercharged because I could buy a new 996 turbo...I still favored the 944 Turbo S..
The 996 Turbo was always my dream car when it came out because it was to me the ultimate everyday supercar for its time....But I could not bring myself to spend that money with what I had in the 2002 C-2.
Then in 2008 I
found a 996 turbo all original with 10,000 miles on it for a great price due to the crash in the economy..Sold my 2002 for a big hit but didnt mind...
Now this car finally out did my old favorite,944 Turbo S...

Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
As an aggressive driver... I like an aggressive car... I am known to wear out cars so a heavy duty engine / gearbox combination is a requirement combined with some solid braking ability, it will be driven hard and put away wet so sissy cars won't make the grade. Must be able and willing to perform every day (and night) rain or shine without complaints and without throwing fits. Under the radar operations are a given. I figured... the GT1 engine and the six speed manual would do it nicely. Actually it is doing it with great aplomb!!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by Lugesq
So with drink and maybe a cigar in hand, my question is why do you love your Porsche?
Because it reminds me of my wife; it can be played like a Stradivarius, but turns into a T-Rex when you hammer it.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 PM
TheSilverFox is infamous around these parts
Because when I had matchbox cars as a kid I could only pretend

Because when I read car magazines in my teens I could only hope

Because when I finally could, was sorry I waited.

I appreciate everyone's passion on this forum, checking in is time well spent for me. Besides driving!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Lugesq is infamous around these partsLugesq is infamous around these parts
Cheers! Well said. Here's to the fathers (and mothers) who taught us to love cars, work hard, delay gratification until you could afford it, appreciate what you have, realize that lifes too short when they pass, and enjoy the simple things like turning the ignition over in the morning with a smile that makes it all good.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 PM
jindotli is infamous around these parts
Because unlike the other cars that I have driven before, the harder I push it, the better it drives. What a car!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 PM
stsauer is infamous around these parts
Smile

I have owned several high performance cars over the years:1988 BMW M5, 1996 993 Targa, 2004 C55, and 2004 SL 55.
I would have to stay my 2004 996TT Cab is by far the best I have owned. It has that gorgeous classic wide body with "race car" performance to match.
Life is good when there is a Porsche Turbo in your garage!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Etahgnimusnoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ek9max

Agreed. + I like being able to drive it anytime and really to anywhere...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why we own a Porsche?