996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

brake caliper powdercoat/rebuild exchange service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
forcefed1 is infamous around these parts
brake caliper powdercoat/rebuild exchange service

The Clear coat on my stock calipers is peeling. Id like to get them redone.

A local shop I know does powdercoating on wheels and other auto parts. I was thinking an exchange service on Porsche calipers with new seals and powdercoating including the PORSCHE on the side is something the guys here would likely be intrested in.
This way the job goes from 2 weeks of your car sitting taken apart to in and out of the shop same day.

Obviously he would need to buy a few cores to get started and have a refundable core charge.

I see a few places that will do them and put the PORSCHE word back on them. I would jump on this the next time I need brakes but i don't want the car sitting so long. the coating process it really not a great overnight candidate as to do it correctly you need to strip off the old with a beed blast.

do any of you have a powdercoating service you can recommend?

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-04-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: solicitation
Old 05-05-2012, 01:19 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
OEM calipers are painted, not powder coated. If you call Brembo, they will tell you the same thing, paint not powder coat. Last year, I had mine completely stripped to bare metal, primed, and professionally repainted. I track my car and after 6 hard track days on R compounds they still look like new. The key to making the finish last is proper cooling. I have floating rotors, and cup car cooling ducts which helps. My previous calipers were powder coated and they turned from yellow to orange after one hard session. Powder coating is much thicker than paint and will trap more heat. It cost about $800 including shipping to get all 4 done. The guy that did it was named Eli at fastforwardwheels.com. It does not include new seals but generally you are fine with just changing out the dust boots.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
be careful with p/c. i had a set of brembos p/c and the shop did the job way too thick and didnt plug the bores getting p/c everywere. i couldnt use the calipers at all. it took weeks of chemical stripping to get them cleaned and had to rebuild all 4 calipers with new seals and dust boots.
i now have my calipers thermalcoated by needwings in warren michigan. he diod a great job and the color hasnt changed a bit after repeated trips down the track

Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 AM
good information.
I didn't know. In the past i had them powdercoated. and Yes they did get burned. I was unhappy immediatly. I always noticed the porsche ones looked good much longer. SO paint is the trick.
What about clear coat? I would think this helps too. and obviously since mine is peeling Porsche/Brembo does use a 2 stage paint.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Powered coat is only good up to 400 degrees, last I heard. As stated paint is the way.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the great info guys. Paint it is.