996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Silver steering wheel badge install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 02:13 PM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts
Question Silver steering wheel badge install

I have been told the factory gold badge has a post and nut holding it on by some people. I have also been told they are just "glued" on. The new silver one I just got doesn't have a post. It's just flat on the back.

Do I have to remove the airbag etc to install the new badge? Or, does it just pop off to replace with the new one?

Old 06-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Johnfromjersey is infamous around these parts
can I ask where you got the silver crest on the airbag? I also want to replace my gold one.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Old 06-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
You should get a new airbag with the silver crest. The glue on ones don't look quite right IMO.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by BlackGold
Right here. http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...996tec_pg3.htm
thanks... is this the one I need to order to fit the steering wheel?

Porsche Mini Crest with Silver finish $47.25
G-559-210-SLR

hopefully this post will establish whether or not we will need the speednuts or glue

Old 06-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Johnfromjersey
thanks... is this the one I need to order to fit the steering wheel?

Porsche Mini Crest with Silver finish $47.25
G-559-210-SLR

hopefully this post will establish whether or not we will need the speednuts or glue
Yes that's the one. I went ahead and ordered a speednut with mine just in case, but on arrival it doesn't have a post for it. I basically just want to know if I can do it myself (glue), or if I have to make an appointment. I'm not messing with the air bag.

The part looks nice.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Ok, hope you haven't ordered it yet. I am returning mine. Just stopped by the shop and the factory one is bolted through. Since it is sealed, the only way to remove it is to deploy the airbag. Basically you need to do what Mr. Kram stated and order a new airbag. Not worth that to me. Many other mods I'd rather have.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:37 PM
ahh thanks for the update...was going to order it tonight. I agree with you, not worth the hassle for such a minor mod.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:55 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
Yeah not worth paying $500 or whatever for a new airbag. BUT, keep in mind that many Boxsters (maybe all?) have the silver crest airbag and many of them wouldn't mind trading you for your gold crest airbag.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:34 AM
gilzen is infamous around these parts
I just carefully pried mine off. Then I glued the new one on. there is no difference other than on a silver trimed steering wheel it looks much better. My service manager suggested the prying technique. I had no problems.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:06 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Well.......unless Pelican has changed their product in the last year, I'm pretty sure the mini is a tad larger than OEM.......meaning it will not fit 'into' the depression on the wheel (as the OE does)?.......course it can be glued over the top and you'd not mis the depression.

Only other issue is that the aftermarket is metal, and some have commented on the pros-cons of launching a small metal projectile on air bag deployment....food for thought .

Old 06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by GreggT
Well.......unless Pelican has changed their product in the last year, I'm pretty sure the mini is a tad larger than OEM.......meaning it will not fit 'into' the depression on the wheel (as the OE does)?.......course it can be glued over the top and you'd not mis the depression.

Only other issue is that the aftermarket is metal, and some have commented on the pros-cons of launching a small metal projectile on air bag deployment....food for thought .
Being only glued on and metal, best case scenario would be if it flew off with deployment and put a shallow Porsche emblem - shaped depression on one's forehead . Worst case scenario is if it contacted said part of face on it's edge ...

Old 06-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by MKW
Being only glued on and metal, best case scenario would be if it flew off with deployment and put a shallow Porsche emblem - shaped depression on one's forehead . Worst case scenario is if it contacted said part of face on it's edge ...
Think ninja star!

Old 06-02-2005, 02:06 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Mr Kram
Think ninja star!
where's kirby the ninja!

Old 06-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by GreggT

We talked about that yesterday. We laughed for a second.....then I said I'll send it back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Silver steering wheel badge install