996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

91 octane 0 ethanol vs 94 octane 10% ethanol

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Torco is an octane booster in a can. There are a lot of bull**** octane boosters that you can get at autozone or whatever, but Torco is one of the few legitimate ones. I did a ton of research on it. It is popular with the supercharged corvette crowd. One even mixed a tank and sent some of the fuel in to be tested at an octane testing lab and confirmed it's worth. My car runs much stronger on Torco. Only downside is that it leaves a yellowish powder coat in your exhaust, but I haven't heard of anyone having any real problems with the product. I run it all the time. Give the quart can a try. http://torcoracefuel.net/1-pix-torco...or-bottles.jpg
Thanks for info.Torco also makes race fuels.
I have had good luck with just NOS booster on the dyno with bike motors.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Well my tuner said that my 91 log provides slightly better timing than the 94 does. Along with a little more fuel quantity. The 94 required more short term trim than the 91.

Whatever that means...... I asked him what the conclusion was. haha.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 AM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Good info here! :-)

Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
This is really old school thinking with a lot of incorrect information stated. 91 octane with 10% ethanol vs 91 octane without ethanol will have negligible performance differences. It has to do with a cleaner burn and that to me is a good thing for the masses.

Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Max we talked about some of this on the phone but I will add some more here that I think we did not cover.
I tried once before several days ago but I pressed send and the page disappeared.

Alcohol fuel is bad on different levels and so many.
It is dry fuel with poor lubrication properties, you may not think that is a big deal as your engine has oil in it but it is also a solvent that strips away that lubrication. So in the absence of oil and the fuel having poor lubrication properties that dries things out you have a recipe for accelerated engine wear; also store an engine running alcohol fuel for any time and you have potential for stuck valves, rings and such.

Alcohol fuels do not store well as they are hydrophilic; meaning they absorb water.

Alcohol is added for environmental reasons not because it makes a better fuel, Small amounts of alcohol in a fuel adds the appearance of better octane ratings when in fact it is all smoke and mirrors as the constituent elements that would make alcohol enriched fuel better are too costly to add for a company that is just concerned with meeting minimum standards and making a profit.

Alcohol fuel has a lower enthalpy of heat then a regular premium fuel. What that means is per a certain volume it has less energy. To get the same amount of energy you need more of it.

The specific gravity of alcohol enriched fuel changes more with temperature. And living in a country like Canada where 70 degree temp changes during the course of a day are a regular occurrence for many months it is harder to tune an engine for consistent performance.

Alcohol enriched fuels may evaporate easier but they have a lower heat of vaporization, The higher a fuel’s heat of vaporization, the better its ability to cool the intake mixture which is a bonus for making power.

Alcohol enriched fuel burns slower, hence why some engines are good at pulling back timing to allow them to burn more completely. So many people think that is an indication that there engine is making more power but in reality it is only trying to burn the fuel that is yielding LESS power... The alcohol enriched fuels we get continue to burn past 20 deg ATDC (After Top Dead Center) which adds nothing to the overall power output of an engine.

The fact is these low alcohol fuels are missing the those expensive components to make them something other than some environmental propaganda.
Now this is just a very very basic over view of why I do not like alcohol enriched fuel, a person could write a book on the subject and still not do it justice.

That is the nature of alcohol fuels for many reasons but some of them are above. Just because you added timing does not make them better.

Alcohol enriched fuels are hog wash forced on us from states like California that have the people power to effect and entire continent.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TTdude
This is really old school thinking with a lot of incorrect information stated. 91 octane with 10% ethanol vs 91 octane without ethanol will have negligible performance differences. It has to do with a cleaner burn and that to me is a good thing for the masses.
Well the proof is in my logs. Todd at proto looked at my logs and the conclusion is that the 0 ethanol 91 showed better results than the 10% ethanol 94 octane.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Sure; OK in what way is it old school. The chemistry is the same now as it was when they brought out alcohol fuel except for the fact that they have stopped using certain chemicals that were more expensive and that were better for performance.

Care to elaborate?

Last edited by Engine Guy; 05-09-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
Well the proof is in my logs. Todd at proto looked at my logs and the conclusion is that the 0 ethanol 91 showed better results than the 10% ethanol 94 octane.
Just because it says something on the pump doesn't mean that's what is actually going into your tank.

Sure; OK in what way is it old school. The chemistry is the same now as it was when they brought out alcohol fuel.

Care to elaborate?
OK a couple of things. You imply alcohol has a lower heat of vaporation than gasoline and less of a cooling effect--not true. Alcohol has a higher heat of vaporization and much better cooling effect than gas. You also state that alcohol makes less power but when in fact, it's just the opposite. Alcohol is able to generate more power because you can burn more fuel which creates greater combustion pressures, i.e. worse fuel mileage but more power. Cars in Brazil have been running on alcohol for years due to all the sugar cane production. Gas has just been more convenient for us.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Just because it says something on the pump doesn't mean that's what is actually going into your tank.
He did not quote what he read on the pump, Todd is a tuner that read his durametric log from his engine during a staged test with the two different fuels. The 91 no alcohol fuel was found to be a better performer due to as a result of looking at the engine parameters.

OK a couple of things. You imply alcohol has a lower heat of vaporation than gasoline and less of a cooling effect--not true. Alcohol has a higher heat of vaporization and much better cooling effect than gas. You also state that alcohol makes less power but when in fact, it's just the opposite. Alcohol is able to generate more power because you can burn more fuel which creates greater combustion pressures, i.e. worse fuel mileage but more power. Cars in Brazil have been running on alcohol for years due to all the sugar cane production. Gas has just been more convenient for us.

Absolutlely and completely wrong about alcohols heat of vaporization. and regular fuel. Now you can add chemicals to alcohol that change the properties to raise that number. Alcohol does not add more power because you can burn more, it does require more fuel to equal the same amount of thermal units per a certain volume of non alcohol enriched gas though.

I do not know about the chemistry of brazillian fuel but here in North America alcohol enriched fuels are legislated due to government policy; not performance or economic viability; and due to environmental reasons the fuel makers do not use certain chemicals that actually make alcohol enriched fuels a better performance product. Now I am not talking E85 which can be considered a cheap performance fuel; but that is no smoking gun either as a car needs some costly modifications to run the stuff.

Fuel chemistry is a subject that is debated by many an internet expert yet it is understood by so few (Heck I could be one of those un knowing ***** for all anyone here knows) but I can say for a fact that my money goes on good non alcohol enriched fuel. If I want the extra octane I mix race gas into the equation or even use Torco additive.

Sorry Edit.... As most here will not know this... The Torco fuel accelerator died with Torco going under but a product called Green Trail Accelerator is the same product.

Don't trust me ask everyones buddy Jay
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...-fuel/1288164/

Last edited by Engine Guy; 05-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 PM
He did not quote what he read on the pump, Todd is a tuner that read his durametric log from his engine during a staged test with the two different fuels. The 91 no alcohol fuel was found to be a better performer due to as a result of looking at the engine parameters.
This is going in circles.
Absolutlely and completely wrong about alcohols heat of vaporization. and regular fuel. Now you can add chemicals to alcohol that change the properties to raise that number. Alcohol does not add more power because you can burn more, it does require more fuel to equal the same amount of thermal units per a certain volume of non alcohol enriched gas though.
You should read this article. Don't worry about all the equations. Just look at Fig. 3 which I reproduced below. The x-axis is % alcohol content in gas. The y-axis is enthalpy (heat) of vaporization. It is a linear correlation with a positive slope, i.e. as the alcohol content is increased in gas, the heat of vaporization also increases. If you have data that proves otherwise please show it.

E85 produces more power than gas, that's a given. As for why alcohol produces more power, it has to do with the combustion process.
Fuel chemistry is a subject that is debated by many an internet expert yet it is understood by so few
Couldn't agree more.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Enthalpy of vaporization.pdf (151.0 KB, 716 views)

Last edited by TTdude; 05-09-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Max we talked about some of this on the phone but I will add some more here that I think we did not cover.
I tried once before several days ago but I pressed send and the page disappeared.

Alcohol fuel is bad on different levels and so many.
It is dry fuel with poor lubrication properties, you may not think that is a big deal as your engine has oil in it but it is also a solvent that strips away that lubrication. So in the absence of oil and the fuel having poor lubrication properties that dries things out you have a recipe for accelerated engine wear; also store an engine running alcohol fuel for any time and you have potential for stuck valves, rings and such.

Alcohol fuels do not store well as they are hydrophilic; meaning they absorb water.

Alcohol is added for environmental reasons not because it makes a better fuel, Small amounts of alcohol in a fuel adds the appearance of better octane ratings when in fact it is all smoke and mirrors as the constituent elements that would make alcohol enriched fuel better are too costly to add for a company that is just concerned with meeting minimum standards and making a profit.

Alcohol fuel has a lower enthalpy of heat then a regular premium fuel. What that means is per a certain volume it has less energy. To get the same amount of energy you need more of it.

The specific gravity of alcohol enriched fuel changes more with temperature. And living in a country like Canada where 70 degree temp changes during the course of a day are a regular occurrence for many months it is harder to tune an engine for consistent performance.

Alcohol enriched fuels may evaporate easier but they have a lower heat of vaporization, The higher a fuel’s heat of vaporization, the better its ability to cool the intake mixture which is a bonus for making power.

Alcohol enriched fuel burns slower, hence why some engines are good at pulling back timing to allow them to burn more completely. So many people think that is an indication that there engine is making more power but in reality it is only trying to burn the fuel that is yielding LESS power... The alcohol enriched fuels we get continue to burn past 20 deg ATDC (After Top Dead Center) which adds nothing to the overall power output of an engine.

The fact is these low alcohol fuels are missing the those expensive components to make them something other than some environmental propaganda.
Now this is just a very very basic over view of why I do not like alcohol enriched fuel, a person could write a book on the subject and still not do it justice.

That is the nature of alcohol fuels for many reasons but some of them are above. Just because you added timing does not make them better.

Alcohol enriched fuels are hog wash forced on us from states like California that have the people power to effect and entire continent.
Your living in the past my friend.. so much misinformation here its disgusting.. Ethanol for 1 is nothing like running alcohol such as methanol that absorbs moisture and is hydroscopic and blah blah blah.. 10% ethanol will do NOTHING harmful to the fuel system, lubrication or anything of that sort.. We have been running 85 and 99% ethanol for going on 5 years and over 40k miles on cars making 250hp per cyl.. we have 0 ill effects to the stock fuel system in terms if corrosion and thats 85% not a measly 10% which is watered down by gas.

unless you have some REAL WORLD DATA not what you read in a book, online or your engineering school told you to prove otherwise you will never convince me of these ill effects.. we have 1500+Hp supras running ethanol all the way down to 450hp evos driving daily for almost 5 years on it.. We have tested back to back on numerous occasions the power we can safely pull out of cars on 93 with and without ethanol and its hands down safer with ethanol and it makes more power PERIOD..

Mike

Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !

I do not know about the chemistry of brazillian fuel but here in North America alcohol enriched fuels are legislated due to government policy; not performance or economic viability; and due to environmental reasons the fuel makers do not use certain chemicals that actually make alcohol enriched fuels a better performance product. Now I am not talking E85 which can be considered a cheap performance fuel; but that is no smoking gun either as a car needs some costly modifications to run the stuff.

Fuel chemistry is a subject that is debated by many an internet expert yet it is understood by so few (Heck I could be one of those un knowing ***** for all anyone here knows) but I can say for a fact that my money goes on good non alcohol enriched fuel. If I want the extra octane I mix race gas into the equation or even use Torco additive.

Sorry Edit.... As most here will not know this... The Torco fuel accelerator died with Torco going under but a product called Green Trail Accelerator is the same product.

Don't trust me ask everyones buddy Jay
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...-fuel/1288164/
really?? Hmm lets see.. an Evo needs 1200cc injectors 300.00 and a fuel pump 95.00 to run ethanol safely.. Now i don't know what your idea of costly is but 400.00 is pretty cheap to me and my customers seem to think so as well.. so don't use generalized statements like " a car " needs costly modifications.. even a porsche COSTLY to run E85 is still untrue given the price of all the other mods on the car that gain much less power 1.00 for 1.00..

Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ek9max
You have a car that defies everything we have ever tested on 100s of cars.. Id check the car, the tune, or the fuel because something is DEAD WRONG in that equation my friend..

Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
You have a car that defies everything we have ever tested on 100s of cars.. Id check the car, the tune, or the fuel because something is DEAD WRONG in that equation my friend..
I noticed more power on my Supra and old 996TT with Husky 94 (10% ethanol)
I don't use ethanol blended gas on my Lambo tho...

unless I went TT one day.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports

Well last year I didn't beleive markski either when he told me that Shell 91 was better than husky 94. He even sent me logs showing the ECU dumping fuel on the husky 94 trying to protect itself....

So I had to do some logs myself.....

hoesntly I wish the husky 94 was better, cause It's easy for me to get. Just as easy as shell 91. So I wouldn't mind gas that can make more power and be safer.....

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Great debate...I see only one post with data (bravo TTdude). Of course no one is considering the measurement error for the tests performed by the tuners. I do know that in CO we have had 10% ethanol (by law) for many years...and cars are still running. Since the higher octane fuels are harder to detonate (therefore less knock), I find it hard to believe the 91 will perform better than the 94 (provided your ECU is mapped to take advantage of this). I have also seen little data to suggest the "additives" actually increase octane by much if at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 91 octane 0 ethanol vs 94 octane 10% ethanol