996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best bang for the buck 19" wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Kerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to all
I just recently have decided to sell my 19" supperleggera OZ's and would sell for cheap

Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scottrx7tt
i picked up a nice used set of cargraphic 19" wheels for $700. keep your eyes open, ive seen smoking deals on Iforged, and even champion wheels on here.
+1
Or take Kerrage above up on his offer if you like the wheels.

If you want new wheels, the absolute biggest bang for the buck with quality wheels (not cast bling wheels) are the BBS CH-R.

There is a co by the name of Baanvelgen selling these on ebay.com . Really good prices but he is in the Netherlands. I don't know what he does with shipping but it seems to work as others have purchased from them.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
CCW

One piece forged and less than $3,000 for the set.

http://ccwheel.com/

Later, Steve

Here's a set on my Supra

Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
I can certainly recommend you take a look at out FMS wheel configuration. If you aren't looking for anything but a quality wheel, straight face, great design, all of our wheels can be purchased with that configuration. You can get them with a step lip if you want, different color finishes and they are pretty much an affordable way to get a set of quality wheels.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about

BBS CH-R's (i'm biased, haha)

Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
why not 19's ?

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Stick with a good set of 18". The car doesn't handle as well with 19" and they are heavier. Tires are more expensive and your brakes and suspension wear out faster.
Duane-
I'm relatively new to my recently acquired 996TT as well. Been lurking around for a set of 19s as well. Without beating on me for challenging you, why do you say they don't handle as well? Most DE and track events I see 996 and 997 running 19s and R compounds on most cars running. What am I missing? Yes, 18s are cheaper and more plentiful, but cosmetically I like how they seem to fill the well a bit more, realizing that the diameter is the same essentially.
Help !

Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Truly I think the best bang for your buck wheel in 19" is the 997 Carrera S Lobster Fork wheels. You can get a set with tires for $1000.00 and they are the lightest 19" Porsche wheel and Porsche quality.... If you want to get a set of spacers to push them out a little you can too for styling purpose.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM
$1000 ??

Originally Posted by LiNks
Truly I think the best bang for your buck wheel in 19" is the 997 Carrera S Lobster Fork wheels. You can get a set with tires for $1000.00 and they are the lightest 19" Porsche wheel and Porsche quality.... If you want to get a set of spacers to push them out a little you can too for styling purpose.
OK, where have you seen these for $1000??

Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
19" will always look better and with R compound tires they will stick better than a 18" with pure street tires. But put R compound on both and the 18" (in GT2 sizes) will out perform the 19"s. The issue with handling is weight, unsprung weight being the most important to focus on. Check the weight of the same width tires and 19" wheels against a set of same width 18" wheels and tires and you'll see between a 2-5 pound weight savings. Unspung weight become even more important if its part of the rotational mass, which really gives your brakes a work out. Many 19" are three peice which also adds to the weight and while the centers may be forged the inner and outer barrels are spun aluminum which much softer and have a tendancy to get out of round on our typical city streets. However if you are not going to spend serious track time, the look factor on the 19" are worth some of the sacrafices in handling. But don't run R compound tires on a daily driver or you'll go broke replacing them. The best set up would be to have a set of 18" with R tires on them for track days and a set of 19"s with V tires for the street.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 PM
19" will always look better and with R compound tires they will stick better than a 18" with pure street tires. But put R compound on both and the 18" (in GT2 sizes) will out perform the 19"s. The issue with handling is weight, unsprung weight being the most important to focus on. Check the weight of the same width tires and 19" wheels against a set of same width 18" wheels and tires and you'll see between a 2-5 pound weight savings. Unspung weight become even more important if its part of the rotational mass, which really gives your brakes a work out. Many 19" are three peice which also adds to the weight and while the centers may be forged the inner and outer barrels are spun aluminum which much softer and have a tendancy to get out of round on our typical city streets. However if you are not going to spend serious track time, the look factor on the 19" are worth some of the sacrafices in handling. But don't run R compound tires on a daily driver or you'll go broke replacing them. The best set up would be to have a set of 18" with R tires on them for track days and a set of 19"s with V tires for the street.
OH!! NO !! I didn't mean to imply running R compunds on the street, just mentioning that track events I saw plenty of 19s running around. THAT would be crazy.....
Most of my 996 time candidly is dd duty, so the cool "look at me" factor is there...c'mon all of you admit it, too! BUT I would agree lighter weight is what its about on the track.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Another P
OK, where have you seen these for $1000??
Had a set for sale..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ook-tires.html

I think those tires had literally 100 miles on them, if they were more worn I would have let them go cheaper. Ran them while my wheels were being built. I always see these wheels popping up too... keep an eye out if your interested

Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Another P
OH!! NO !! I didn't mean to imply running R compunds on the street, just mentioning that track events I saw plenty of 19s running around. THAT would be crazy.....
Most of my 996 time candidly is dd duty, so the cool "look at me" factor is there...c'mon all of you admit it, too! BUT I would agree lighter weight is what its about on the track.
If you have your heart set on 19"s wheels (and there is no doubt they look better) three piece wheel have that bling factor but they are problematic due to weight and street survival. Also stay away from chome wheels, they will corrode against the tire and cause bead leaks. I would look for a once piece forged. They are lighter and stronger which is important for street uses. Both Champion and HRE make excellent forged one piece 19" wheels. Also be very careful on tire size 235x35x19f and 315x25x19r are almost dead on to the diameter of the stock 18"s which is important to save your front differential.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:08 AM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
I guess my sence of humor was lost on a few of you. Edited for effect.
If it means anything to you, I understood. Personally owning a set of HRE's I know you were being sarcastic.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 AM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
If you have your heart set on 19"s wheels (and there is no doubt they look better) three piece wheel have that bling factor but they are problematic due to weight and street survival. Also stay away from chome wheels, they will corrode against the tire and cause bead leaks. I would look for a once piece forged. They are lighter and stronger which is important for street uses. Both Champion and HRE make excellent forged one piece 19" wheels. Also be very careful on tire size 235x35x19f and 315x25x19r are almost dead on to the diameter of the stock 18"s which is important to save your front differential.
Sorry, I had to post again after I read your post. I have 3 piece HRE's and had no idea they were not good for street use. First I heard of this, what do I need to look out for? I drive my car everyday to work and for pleasure. My wife and I have permanent butt cheek prints in the seats. I'm hoping to 10k miles a year on it for the next 2 years before I upgrade to a newer 911. Kind of wanted to take the wheels with me.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
im in the clan that would recommend 18s over 19s for performance alone....this is ESPECIALLY true if youre on a budget...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best bang for the buck 19" wheels?