996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutchmasters/EVOMS stage 3 slipping !!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Well EVOMS came back to me and told me that I had abused the clutch by overheating it and it was now glassed . I need to replace flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and they recommend a ERP twin disk clutch for circa $3500. I explained I only have stock injectors and 5 bar FPR and he said even more reason the clutch failed due to the heavy duty pressure plate causing massive heat while sitting in traffic and engaging repeatedly. I sat in traffic once and had stop and go traffic for 10 maybe 12 engagement cycles. Any way no warranty but they are happy to sell me a new clutch, good days....

Anyway if you have one of these clutch setups beware of sitting in traffic.

Last edited by jonty; 05-24-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jonty
Well EVOMS came back to me and told me that I had abused the clutch by overheating it and it was now glassed . I need to replace flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and they recommend a ERP twin disk clutch for circa $3500. I explained I only have stock injectors and 5 bar FPR and he said even more reason the clutch failed due to the heavy duty pressure plate causing massive heat while sitting in traffic and engaging repeatedly. I sat in traffic once and had stop and go traffic for 10 maybe 12 engagement cycles. Any way no warranty but they are happy to sell me a new clutch, good days....

A tuner tried to pull that on me too... I had probably 3-4 miles when the intial problem started. It turned out to be clutch accumulator for me. But what i learned is none of them stand behind their product like they claim before a sale.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !

That sounds to me like 100% BS. There are bunches of higher HP cars with that clutch without the issues you are having. A properly broken in stage 3 clutch will hold for alot more abuse than stop and go traffic.

I would buy faulty slave cylinder or master cylinder. I would even buy A leaking RMS causing the slipping. But abuse from stop and go traffic? Maybe if you were doing drag launches between gaps. I would seek advise from another shop before dumping money into a clutch. Just my $.02.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !

sounds like a load of horse $hit. call clutchmasters.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
I called clutch master and goes what it is not a clutch masters unit, when I spoke to EVOMS the said the clutch had to come from them but it doesn't it is a Sachs motorsports unit. I apologize for using there name in vain . I tried to change the title in editing but I can't. The guy at clutch masters did say what EVOMS was saying was total BS though which although it doesn't help my pocket book It does help my feelings.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM
One more funny thing they offered to sell me the exact same clutch again!!!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Note to self....don't buy a clutch from EVOMs (or the air intake system).

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
Buy from clutchmasters those are some stand up guys over there. Thats bs what's happened to you.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Received this with the morning fedex I am sorta dreading the engagement ferro/ceramic sprung 6 puck, hopefully the gt2 slave kit will help with engagement can't be any worse than my drag car LOL.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Soooooooo true!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:14 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Received this with the morning fedex I am sorta dreading the engagement ferro/ceramic sprung 6 puck, hopefully the gt2 slave kit will help with engagement can't be any worse than my drag car LOL.

Oh my God, good luck with that puppy, it will be terrible to drive in street traffic..sorry bro but dats the truth. Stay away from puck style clutch plates they are so on/off. Be prepared to stall her!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I can't really understand why anyone would buy anything from EVOMs. There is constant complaining about them never answering phone calls and email. And to offer the OP the same clutch and not stand by their product speaks volumes.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Well the clutch is out and it sure doesn't look glased and fried Like EVOMS said it was going to be.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 PM
dg930 is just really nicedg930 is just really nicedg930 is just really nicedg930 is just really nicedg930 is just really nice
It looks like it wasn't engaging properly.

There is an unusual wear ring/burn mark in the same location on the inside diameter of the pressure plate, the flywheel, and both sides of disk.

It looks like only a portion of the disk was making contact with the PP and flywheel.

I would start my root cause search with this.

Well the clutch is out and it sure doesn't look glased and fried Like EVOMS said it was going to be.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Jointy

You have a band of glazing on the inner portion of the clutch, most pronounced on the pucks at the 2 o-clock and 6 o-clock portion of the friction disc.

I would have to really say you have some issue at hand. Two separate clutches and both of them upgraded clutches, Hmmmm.

BUT! As good as some of the aftermarket stuff is there is a big problem with consistency and quality control within the industry so that could be the issue too.

Then top off the human factor with the mechanics, figure in anything you want there from incompetent to un-caring to un-knowing to potentially very good. Sometimes these aftermarket parts requires knowledge of the product quirks to set them up or make them work right as they are not a completely developed and engineered part for just that application like a OEM unit would be.

Also!!! very much so the consumer does not want to pay someone to do it right, they wine and bicker and scheme to save money that in the end makes mechanical shops play games or cut corners.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutchmasters/EVOMS stage 3 slipping !!!!