996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Towing? How to secure 996 to trailer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:56 AM
TMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura about
Towing? How to secure 996 to trailer

I have been towing other vehicles in my trailer for years, but since I'm a new Porsche owner, I don't know how to secure my 996 to the trailer. Anyone have suggestions?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Not sure on your trailer set up but wheel straps or nets are the easiest and safest way in my opinion. Not may places to strap to on a p car that are easy to get to.

So if your car hauler has a deck rail system you just go over the tire with a 2 inch strap. If not pockets or rings work with a good tire net works well.

In an emergecy I have used rim spokes with soft straps, I used a micro fiber wash towel behind the soft strap to prevent scuffing on the rim. BUT that was a dire emergency.

One of my friends drives his car onto the ramps on his trailer to a height high enough for him to slide under. He then soft staps around solid componets he can easily reach from under the car. He then drives the car all the way onto the trailer; you can reach the soft straps now so it is easy to ratchet it down.

My car hauler with the deck rail system is so easy. A 2" strap over each tire is very secure and no body work is even close to a strap.

Aftermarket deck rail track pads are cheap or easy to build and install for someone who is handy.

Here is a link to some products. http://www.easternmarine.com/E-Track...-Straps-Parts/
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Tr...raps-Tie-Downs
You can buy it at many different places and even styles. E track, A track, Fasi-loc.

Last edited by Engine Guy; 05-12-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I just researched this as well. I think if you need to haul often, then above is perfect. I needed to haul just once in a while. I used (4) 3k lb straps (pretty long depending on your trailer hook points). Then place them on the trailer before you get the car on in a crisscross pattern. You want to have one hook per jack point on the car (total of 4 points - fronts right behind front tire, rears right in front of rear tire).

Then drive the car up and hook the straps up (front jack points are open in the rear / rear jack points just put hook into the oval hole) and she ain't gong nowhere! I then also used a few soft straps around one front and one rear rim just to be sure!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I just bought rennline Jack point tie downs for the front and rennline subframe bolt tow hooks for the back. Haven't tried them yet.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I use the tow hook that came with the car for the front and a 3" strap and rachet.

I use two 3" straps around the rear subframe ratcheted down to the Trailer from the rear. Your main concern is the load shifting forward as you will likely brake harder than you will accelerate. So make sure you are strapped down from the rear.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 PM
TMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura about
I've looked into the e-track stuff before. That might be just the ticket. As for only having one tow-point in the front, check your local laws blackhorse. Most states require 4 tie-down points for vehicle towing.

Going to check out rennline's tie-down points now. I have their front tow-hook for lapping days. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Banned
mmm635 is infamous around these partsmmm635 is infamous around these parts
This is how I tow my 996, other than the flaps underneath the car where the brake ducts are located. No body work is touched and the car is rock solid. I towed my Cup car from Wisconsin to Mississippi the same exact way.

I would not use a tow point on the front or rear for transport - they are not that strong.

Last edited by mmm635; 05-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.