996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking at a modded X-50 and need some help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Looking at a modded X-50 and need some help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...c71889f1#v4-42

I am looking at this car on ebay and was curious if the mods are a good setup on this car? Is there anything that I should be concerned with? Also I am 6 foot 3 and am concerned if the seats have less legroom than the stock ones? Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy

Old 05-18-2012, 12:19 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by machinegunt
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-996-X50-Turbo-Coupe-Tiptronic-Extensive-service-history-Thousands-spent-/170843998705?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c71889f1 #v4-42

I am looking at this car on ebay and was curious if the mods are a good setup on this car? Is there anything that I should be concerned with? Also I am 6 foot 3 and am concerned if the seats have less legroom than the stock ones? Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy
Just my opinion, but personally, I would not consider a Tiptronic. You immedieately limit your ability to mod. I am also 6'3" and will not comfortably fit into any hardtop 911 (unless it has sunroof delete). Hence my cab! I have no experience with these Recaro seats, but would caution you if you haven't sat in them. My 2 cents - good luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Sure you want a tip?

All the usual- you need to have a VERY thorough PPI by a shop that knows 996TTs and mods. Lots of posts on "what do I look for?"

Who is selling the car? and why all the pictures in front of EVOMS? Dont trust anyone, make sure you understand who you are dealing with.

GL

A

Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Price seem very fair. As always get a good PPI. The mods are mostly GMG which is a good company. When GMG does a 996TT suspension they usually install rear dog bones, adjustable toe steer link and drop links. I'd check the alignment when you do your PPI for rear camber and toe in settings. Can't tell if the body mods are fiberglass our PU. PU body mods worth alot, fiberglass mods not so much. Recaro makes a top notch seat, but only you can tell if they are a good fit for you.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 05-18-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 AM
mike4s is infamous around these parts
I would stay away for Tip. And its suspiciously cheap for such low mileage and so many extras...

Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 AM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
I am not sure why all the pics are in front of Evoms? I assumed they had done work to the car? As much as I hate the Tiptronic it is my only choice as I have nerve damage in my left leg and am just not quick enough on the clutch and a PDK is beyond my budget! I have considered a GT-R but the prices on these 996 TT is so attractive I thought I might pick one up! I am still getting details on the car from the owner whose name is Robert Boreham and owns Redline Motorsports in Tempe. Anyone know of someone that can do a good PPI in the area? Here is a quote from the email I received from the seller:

"Troy,

None of the stock parts are left over or available. As far as we know the car was never tracked. Most of the work was done by GMG. Our local dealer does not perform PPIs but if they did, it would pass easily. There is not any issues with the paint. Body and paint is very good. We are selling because we simply never drive it. If you have any more questions, please feel free to call me.

Cheers,
Robert
"

Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by mike4s
I would stay away for Tip. And its suspiciously cheap for such low mileage and so many extras...
Well it is an auction and the reserve has not been reached yet! I am thinking it will get up to 40 to 46k on ebay! I hope the fact that it is a Tip will keep the price within reason on it!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 AM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure how these guys are pointing out how great the price is when it's still not met the reserve. I'm not selling mine, but its all serviced up, 3-piece HRE's, Switzer tune and exhaust. Jammin stereo, back up camera, touch screen, etc etc . I'd take 44k just as an FYI.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 AM
mike4s is infamous around these parts
Is this an X50?

Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by machinegunt
Here is a quote from the email I received from the seller:

"Troy,

None of the stock parts are left over or available. As far as we know the car was never tracked. Most of the work was done by GMG. Our local dealer does not perform PPIs but if they did, it would pass easily. There is not any issues with the paint. Body and paint is very good. We are selling because we simply never drive it. If you have any more questions, please feel free to call me.

Cheers,
Robert"
i thought all porsche dealers performed ppi's ????

Old 05-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by mike4s
Is this an X50?
Yes it is.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by OhioC5
I'm not sure how these guys are pointing out how great the price is when it's still not met the reserve. I'm not selling mine, but its all serviced up, 3-piece HRE's, Switzer tune and exhaust. Jammin stereo, back up camera, touch screen, etc etc . I'd take 44k just as an FYI.

Is your car an X-50? Looks great!

Old 05-19-2012, 03:01 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
No, it's not an X50, just trying to give you an idea of what it would take to get a very similar car. Color, expensive wheels, Michelin tires, etc. I have the full K40 laser radar detector jammer system too.

Thank you

Old 05-19-2012, 03:35 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioC5
No, it's not an X50, just trying to give you an idea of what it would take to get a very similar car. Color, expensive wheels, Michelin tires, etc. I have the full K40 laser radar detector jammer system too.

Thank you
Are those reverse-lip C97's? Never seen such a thing.

Car looks great, btw.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I would NOT buy that car purely because an auction suggests you have limited time to make up your mind. So go out and kick the tires, look at a few cars and DRIVE them. There are many good 2002-2004 966T rotating through right now. No need to hurry up. As others have said.... get a PPI, view the repair and maintenance invoices, talk with the owner(s). Make it a fun project before you pull the trigger. After market add-ons / mods have basically no value. Only certain OEM options bring a little more money for the seller. To a certain extent, YOU THE BUYER, determine what options you must have and what you can do without but the X50 ($17K) and Factory Aerokit ($7K) are definitely nice to have. Take your time!! Good luck!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking at a modded X-50 and need some help!