996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need Help on 996 TT Not Holding Battery Charge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 AM
RAMVest is infamous around these parts
Need Help on 996 TT Not Holding Battery Charge

Some help or comments from more experienced turbo hands please --
I work overseas for 3 to 4 weeks at a time, and often return to find my 996TT battery flat. I have found that it holds charge better when I turn the radio and HVAC completely "off", but it is still a hit-and-miss thing as to whether it will start when I get back in country. Questions:
a. Is this internal quick battery drain "normal", and
b. If so, then what sort of battery "booster" or "tender" or other fix have you found helpful
c. If this short battery charge life is NOT normal, then what are common other culprits for drain? I have routinely topped up battery to 100% with charger, and replaced the battery some months ago as a possible "fix", but neither seemed to help.

Thanks, Jay (over in sunny Kuwait . . . hit 117oF today so summer is coming)

Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Cold Cranking Batteries cannot be recharged once they are run flat you need to buy another battery.

I travel as well, similar cycle as you, I disconnect the negative terminal before I leave and re-connect once I return.

Never had any problems.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
It is quite normal for these cars to discharge (enough to not start) after three+ weeks. I leave mine on a tender all of the time. If yours has gone "flat" already (several times it sounds), as Tim says you will need a new battery (they can not be fixed by charging them).

Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Maybe You're Right About Battery But Why Did . . .

. . . it go down in first place? My 2001.5 Audi S4 starts up "every" time that I am away, whereas the Porsche seems to go down almost every time.
Don't mind getting another battery if that is indeed a problem, but
a. want to know if this low charge life is common, or a symptom of something else, AND

b. what battery "tender" or other aid have you found useful. (I would hate to have to connect and disconnect the battery each time !)

Thanks again, Jay

Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I use the Porsche battery tender that plugs into the cigarette lighter if I think I'm not going to use the car for more than a week. Also I've heard the CTek charger works well. Also, I was advised to not set the alarm (I have closed garage) as that system draws more power than we'd like to keep alive (it turns itself (the alarm) off after about 5 or 6 days anyway. I had to replace the Porsche factory battery after 3 1/2 years. Went aftermarket.

John in Vancouver

Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks John . . . I'm Just a Few Miles Down the Road...

... just moved to Camano Island (exit 212 off I-5 forty miles north of Seattle) after being in Houston for longer than I wanted. Weather will certainly be cooler, but the roads may stay moist-low-traction for a while. Maybe the gentle curves up to and around Mt Baker will keep me interested.
If you come down to Bellingham for shopping, feel free to drive a few miles further south and chat. Call to be sure I'm not over in Kuwait, though. US Cell is 281 seven oh three 6130, or text to RAMVest AT Yahoo DOT com.
Regards (and thanks for help), Jay

Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 AM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
RAMVest - I bought a new CTek, and it works great. Sometimes, like today, the car can sit for 2 weeks in the garage before I get a chance to take her out. The CTek is the Porsche unit, only cheaper. Or, like timcloud said, you can disconnect the negative terminal from your battery. Try looking at JEGs website. I bought a battery quick-disconnect from them years ago for my 69 vette, and it worked great too.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Several Good Pieces of Info . . .

Thanks for the comments on the CTek and quick-disconnect. I had forgotten about them. Great thing about this forum is the help one can get from fellow enthusiasts. Regards, Jay

Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
CTEK will make your day!! There are soo many little nanny systems in the Porsche. They keep on drinking power, even when you are away. One thing to do is to lock your car when you park it so some of the power drain will not happen (monitoring locks/ doors etc which goes on for about 5 days if you do not key lock the car). Mine is on the tender all the time.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Drew's 996 is infamous around these parts
Same thing happened to me when I first got the car two years ago. Been using this ever since I killed my first battery.
Amazon Amazon

Nice and easy and does the job well!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:04 AM
ItGuy996 is infamous around these partsItGuy996 is infamous around these parts
Doesn't the car go into some type of sleep mode after about a week? I seem to recall the remote not working and a few other things until you put the key in the door and turn it manually after the car has sat for a time. I know my battery gets low after 3-4 weeks.