996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

P/S hose leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
P/S hose leak

So I noticed a few drips of Pentosin on the floor of my garage the other day. Turns out the power steering pressure hose is leaking from the upper "quick disconnect." It appears that the inner o-ring (the one near the black plastic circ- clip) popped out of the "quick disconnect" connection.

So that brings me to my two problems. First, the "quick disconnect" does not quickly disconnect I've tried unscrewing it using two 15mm open end wrenches without any luck. It's a very tight space (I haven't tried lowering the engine yet) but I've been able to get some good torque on it and it didn't budge. I think heat would help but there is a lot of plastic and wiring around it and the joint is covered in pentosin... so I'm very hesitant to use a torch. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions on how to disconnect this line?

Even if I get this thing apart, the inner o-ring doesn't have a separate part number. The "quick disconnect" is around $109 and I'm not even sure it comes with the o-ring (it may be part of the hard line). Anyone have any insight on what I can buy to fix this leak?

I really don't see any easy way of fixing this thing. I'm tempted to just cut the damn joint off and use a swagelok tube fitting and some AN braided steel hose.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:01 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Do you think it had anything to do from when you had to remove it in order to disassemble the PS pump itself.

I have a extra geen seal/ o-ring. i weld up my PS and tank and am only using the pressure line.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
Do you think it had anything to do from when you had to remove it in order to disassemble the PS pump itself.

I have a extra geen seal/ o-ring. i weld up my PS and tank and am only using the pressure line.
I doubt it. The connection that's leaking is in the back of the engine bay. When I took out the p/s pump I unscrewed the hard line J hook section that goes directly into to p/s pump. So two different connections. And it just started leaking...

One I get the o-ring out I'll measure it and see if that green one will work.