996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2009 Z06 to a 2005 996 Turbo S ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SVTLOL
I would be glad to give someone a ride in the Z for a ride in a Turbo Porsche .
Is that the 1000 whp vette or the 600 whp one. I have to imagine there's a dallas member who'd be interested in that kind of trade.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:27 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Personally, I think you'll be disappointed. I love my 996, but miss my C6. The thing I miss the most is instantaneous torque. Now I have the X50 with the Tiptronic, so worst possible case of turbo lag, but still it is BAD.

When I want a feeling of raw acceleration, I don't take the 996. I drive my wife's E55 wagon.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Im looking at trading in my heads & cam 2009 Z for a stock 2005 turbo s with wheels. I have always liked the 996tt and GT2's my only question i guess would be is it worth it to go from a 638 rwhp 2009 Z to a 2005 turbo s . And when i drove the Porsche when you put it in neutral and move the stick around you can hear some play and feel a little play is that bad or normal ? And it seems like it is much harder to shift compared to the Z . I just want to make sure i get a good deal and don't get someone else's problems thanks for helping.

I'm curious what kind of heads and cam you are running to make 638rwhp NA?

That sounds pretty steep for non-FI, but I guess it might be possible.

In regard to the 996TT, some of the modded cars do experience some rod bending/twisting issues when tuned to the 700/700 range on stock rods.

Just something to consider if you go for big power.
Just a rod swap can be in the neighborhood of $10k in the Porsche, parts and labor,so it certainly is not inexpensive.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Hmmmmm

I think the Vettes are a let down style wise, they in many ways they scream "American Junk". Look under them and new on the lot things will be rusting. The interiors are just not the same either; materials, controls etc.

I think the vettes are great for the torque feel and I know they handle very well; BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But they just do not have the panache of the Porsche. Even my 8 year old Porsche still gets numerous thumbs up ever single time I take it out in public. Not that I care what other people think; but I like it for the same reason they give it the thumbs up. Its just Bleeping cool, there is something that Porsche brings to the plate that a Corvette just does not.

And besides, cars are like Ice Cream, there are many different flavors to try out.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tscales
Personally, I think you'll be disappointed. I love my 996, but miss my C6. The thing I miss the most is instantaneous torque. Now I have the X50 with the Tiptronic, so worst possible case of turbo lag, but still it is BAD.

When I want a feeling of raw acceleration, I don't take the 996. I drive my wife's E55 wagon.
A 600hp 996tt and stock x50 are worlds apart.

E55s otoh are dig machines.

I raced one with 550ft-lbs and srag slicks at the Q last week (and beat him!)

Sounds like you sir need a flash, exh and turbos....

Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
SVTLOL is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vrybad
I'm curious what kind of heads and cam you are running to make 638rwhp NA?

That sounds pretty steep for non-FI, but I guess it might be possible.

In regard to the 996TT, some of the modded cars do experience some rod bending/twisting issues when tuned to the 700/700 range on stock rods.

Just something to consider if you go for big power.
Just a rod swap can be in the neighborhood of $10k in the Porsche, parts and labor,so it certainly is not inexpensive.
Its all in the head .... West coast X heads on e85 ported fast 102 with Nick williams throttle body widow R cam and it also has two bottles if i need a little extra . The 1000hp car got hit by an illegal and is no more shame to say.
But i just came across a deal i could not pass up sold the Z06 and got a 2009 ACR Viper with less than 2000miles still thinking about the porsche though for sure. The guy with the turbo S just did not want to make a deal happen bad enough i won't mention the dealership but they just kind of acted like they thought i did not have a clue and they could screw me over so i turned it down.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
The Porsches are much better cars.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:40 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Its all in the head .... West coast X heads on e85 ported fast 102 with Nick williams throttle body widow R cam and it also has two bottles if i need a little extra . The 1000hp car got hit by an illegal and is no more shame to say.
But i just came across a deal i could not pass up sold the Z06 and got a 2009 ACR Viper with less than 2000miles still thinking about the porsche though for sure. The guy with the turbo S just did not want to make a deal happen bad enough i won't mention the dealership but they just kind of acted like they thought i did not have a clue and they could screw me over so i turned it down.
I hear you about the heads.
Very nice results!
I'd imagine 638rw N/A moves very nice!!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Hmmmmm

I think the Vettes are a let down style wise, they in many ways they scream "American Junk". Look under them and new on the lot things will be rusting. The interiors are just not the same either; materials, controls etc.

I think the vettes are great for the torque feel and I know they handle very well; BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But they just do not have the panache of the Porsche. Even my 8 year old Porsche still gets numerous thumbs up ever single time I take it out in public. Not that I care what other people think; but I like it for the same reason they give it the thumbs up. Its just Bleeping cool, there is something that Porsche brings to the plate that a Corvette just does not.

And besides, cars are like Ice Cream, there are many different flavors to try out.
Ok, have to comment here. Keep in mind I love both Porsche and Corvette. The days of calling corvette "American junk" are over. You left performance alone so I do not need to go there.

Going back to the junk comment, if you ask me, corvettes are engineering marvels. Base 436hp and 505hp ZO6 can average 30 MPG on the highway @75-80 miles per hour @1500 rpm. Keep in mind these stats are from the C6 generation of corvette which is 8 years old. Reliability is fantastic and when they do need to be fixed, you can fix them with a hammer and pliers in most cases without getting raped in maintenance department. I don’t know about others, but when I consider what constitutes great engineering, repair costs/reliability is significant for me….and corvette repair costs are significantly less than that of Porsche while reliability is arguably better as well. For what a Porsche costs new, both these engineering pulse points should be skewed in the Porsches favor…they are not...not even close.

Interiors: I'll give into the fact that the ZR1 deserves better seats, but everything else is perfectly acceptable, especially at the price point of a base vette or ZO6. Corvettes have to remain at least somewhat affordable and therefore, it is totally unrealistic for them, quality and cosmetics wise, to compete with Porsche. Why most people expect them to… I will never understand.

I won't mention 997 because I believe they have nice interiors. However, when I look at a 996 interior, I am not impressed at all (in fact, it’s borderline insulting if you ask me) and how much did they cost new? Why nobody ever mentions this is beyond me.

I believe, as we move into the future, it is going to harder and harder for brands like Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston, etc. to justify the premium they charge for their cars. In my opinion, cars like the GT-R, ZO6/ZR1, and the New Viper have totally and completely exposed these premium brands as unjustifiably overpriced. They have and will continue to match, and in some cases beat, the premium brands in regards to performance. Additionally, as we have seen with the interiors in the new vipers and with what I am sure we will see in the next generation Corvette, interiors and overall build quality is quickly catching up as well. I guarantee you this is discussed and is a major case for concern in the corporate offices of the premium car brands (especially in the case of Porsche). Prices for these premium brands are getting absolutely ridiculous. If they don't bring their prices down to earth soon, they will see sales decrease as we move into the future. I know many Porsche fanatics that are fed up with the prices. Something will have to give moving into the future.

Last edited by PaulChristian; 06-23-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bushman66
It won't fix your transmission if you already have the problem, but its good insurance to prevent it from happening. Its easy to install (30 min job) IF you can break the cover allen plug loose on the transmission. this plug is installed with 2 gallons of loctite and torqued to about 900ft/lbs of torque by Hans the gorilla at the factory, LOL.

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Chances are you might be disappointed. The Turbo is a much more difficult car to drive fast especially if compared to the torque and hp of your Vette. They are difficult and expensive to work on also. However because they are a forced induction motor, more hp/tq can be attained without having to change engine internals. I'd figure out a way to get a dealer to let you test drive one for half a day to make sure you really like it. They take some getting used to.
Drive fast where? On a drag strip, maybe. On a track, no way. Turbo is extremely easy to drive fast, traction out of this world, maybe a bit of push, but all stock cars have that.

Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Hmmmmm

I realize this is opinion, but the C6Z is SEXY, I don't care what anyone says. There is nothing that says junk about it, it's a 70k car, you won't find a Porsche interior in it, but the car isn't built for that anyways.

The LS3 is junk IMO and the LS7 is a marvel, but not reliable enough for the car. Too many going boom.

A stock C6Z with the Z07 package outruns 5 iterations of the 997 GT3, including the 4.0 and is just barely slower than the GT2 RS with similar weight and a lot less HP. Pinache or not, Chevy won this round (C6 vs 997) relatively speaking.

Originally Posted by PaulChristian
Ok, have to comment here. Keep in mind I love both Porsche and Corvette. The days of calling corvette "American junk" are over. You left performance alone so I do not need to go there.

Going back to the junk comment, if you ask me, corvettes are engineering marvels. Base 436hp and 505hp ZO6 can average 30 MPG on the highway @75-80 miles per hour @1500 rpm. Keep in mind these stats are from the C6 generation of corvette which is 8 years old. Reliability is fantastic and when they do need to be fixed, you can fix them with a hammer and pliers in most cases without getting raped in maintenance department. I don’t know about others, but when I consider what constitutes great engineering, repair costs/reliability is significant for me….and corvette repair costs are significantly less than that of Porsche while reliability is arguably better as well. For what a Porsche costs new, both these engineering pulse points should be skewed in the Porsches favor…they are not...not even close.

Interiors: I'll give into the fact that the ZR1 deserves better seats, but everything else is perfectly acceptable, especially at the price point of a base vette or ZO6. Corvettes have to remain at least somewhat affordable and therefore, it is totally unrealistic for them, quality and cosmetics wise, to compete with Porsche. Why most people expect them to… I will never understand.

I won't mention 997 because I believe they have nice interiors. However, when I look at a 996 interior, I am not impressed at all (in fact, it’s borderline insulting if you ask me) and how much did they cost new? Why nobody ever mentions this is beyond me.

I believe, as we move into the future, it is going to harder and harder for brands like Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston, etc. to justify the premium they charge for their cars. In my opinion, cars like the GT-R, ZO6/ZR1, and the New Viper have totally and completely exposed these premium brands as unjustifiably overpriced. They have and will continue to match, and in some cases beat, the premium brands in regards to performance. Additionally, as we have seen with the interiors in the new vipers and with what I am sure we will see in the next generation Corvette, interiors and overall build quality is quickly catching up as well. I guarantee you this is discussed and is a major case for concern in the corporate offices of the premium car brands (especially in the case of Porsche). Prices for these premium brands are getting absolutely ridiculous. If they don't bring their prices down to earth soon, they will see sales decrease as we move into the future. I know many Porsche fanatics that are fed up with the prices. Something will have to give moving into the future.
I'm playing devil's advocate here, but the LS3 is terrible when driven hard, and the LS7 isn't far behind. Yeah, maybe it's the oiling system, but at the end of the day, motor's going boom is not good representation.

I agree with most everything else though, but the Corvette does not fill enough appetites to do any damage to the premium charged by other car makers. Fantastic car, but still has it's own demographic and market. It cannot replace GT3's, Lambo's, Audi's or Ferrari's.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:03 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Fantastic car, but still has it's own demographic and market. It cannot replace GT3's, Lambo's, Audi's or Ferrari's.[/QUOTE]

with its price tag, it is not supposed to compete with these cars, but it still manages to. That is my point...and if these premium car makers don't get their act together with respect to pricing, they will make a bigger dent.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
with its price tag, it is not supposed to compete with these cars, but it still manages to. That is my point...and if these premium car makers don't get their act together with respect to pricing, they will make a bigger dent.

It competes in performance....... If fact, some form of Corvette is faster than every brand you listed, so in that regard it does more than compete, it beats.

It will put a dent in the reputation, but the Corvette does not have the elegance and high quality of the brands you mentioned. You won't get the same dealership experience either. Which is not a bad thing for everyone, but won't suffice for many. Corvette beating the expensive euro brands has been around since 2006, so it's nothing new.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
They went from a 996 to a Z06 and returned disappointed with the Z06 and got into a Porsche.

Originally Posted by mike4s
return disappointed? Sorry but i dont think you mean that they regret of buying the 996, right?

Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 PM
drug delivery is infamous around these parts
I went from a 2003 Corvette ZO6 to an '02 996 Turbo. The difference between these two cars is night and day. The 996 is putting around 440 to the wheels, so the power is obviously different from the C5 ZO6, but it is much closer to the C6 ZO6.

Even compared to the C6 version of the Vette, I think the 996 is still a much better car overall, although the Corvettes is a much better daily driver. The 996 I have is just too jumpy after 4000 rpms and you can't just take it easy unless you really try. The 996 is a bit better in stock form but the Vette is still hands down the better daily driver.

I thought with the 996 Turbo being all-wheel-drive it would drive a lot different but it's still very traction limited to the rear and you can still slide the rear out fairly easy, however the understeer is quite aggressive where as the Vette tends to oversteer. On that point they do end of feeling very different through the twisties.

Subtle variations abound but I'm glad to be driving a 996 turbo versus a Vette. But I also have a car seat in the back of the 996 and the Vette just doesn't compete on that aspect.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 PM
drug delivery is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
the LS7 is a marvel, but not reliable enough for the car. Too many going boom.
As a former Corvette owner and an avid member of CorvetterForum, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I've seen very little chatter about LS7s not surviving and have not actually heard or seen an issues on track with anyone driving an LS7. The early versions did have oiling issues but this was later corrected with changes to the dry sump system, and early model owners who were serious on the track would often upgrade the system. Otherwise on the street there are essentially zero issues.

I think the LS7 is one of the best motors GM has produced for the Vette and now you can buy a convertible with an LS7 under the hood.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Z06 to a 2005 996 Turbo S ?