996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2009 Z06 to a 2005 996 Turbo S ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:51 PM
drug delivery is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
However, when I look at a 996 interior, I am not impressed at all (in fact, it’s borderline insulting if you ask me) and how much did they cost new? Why nobody ever mentions this is beyond me.
I've thought of this too, but then I remind myself that the 996 interior is from the mid-90s, and is very much a carry over from the 993 with respect to design. It's tough to compare this to the C6 generation of Corvettes. Comparing it to a C5 gen makes sense because they nearly span the same years and the C5 Corvette interior is nothing special either, but the 996 is certainly better. Porsche improved things greatly with the 997 and the 991 is just spectacular, and GM just doesn't keep up with these type of things with the Corvette. No one has see what the inside of the C7 gen Vette will look like but I don't expect a major make over.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Turbroe is a jewel in the roughTurbroe is a jewel in the roughTurbroe is a jewel in the rough
Here we go again, comparing apples to oranges. I understand how this continues to come up but, if you have owned both (Z06 and 996TT), it is clear they are two machines built for two different things. The Z06 is not "junk", is fast and handles reasonable well. IMO, if you like dragsters (straight line acceleration) with much less interest on the driving experience and looking to do so on as little $$ as possible, the Z06 is your machine. If you are looking for a complete driver/owner experience that includes power, performance and handling in a car that rewards you for bettering your driving skill and does so in a way that is unique, than the 996TT is your machine. I have owned several Vettes (all special models, i.e. Z06) and believe they are the best at what they are (what is described above). I never had a failure in my Z06 and felt the quality was solid. I was not super happy about some of the technology in the Z (suspension, paint, etc). The interior of the Z is the weak link and unfortuneatly, you see the interior the most, thus it is an experience-dampener. Mashing the loud pedal can partially erase this dampening, but, I can assure you that the interior will be your least favorite aspect nonetheless. The 996TT will make you feel great. Turst me/us, we drive these for more than a few reasons. True, they cost more (purchase, mods and repair), so you have to factor that in to your personal situation. Having said that, the 996TT is commonly known as one of greatest supercars ever built and regarded as such with many automotive authorities. This is because the performance, experience, relaibility and mark of the 996TT has been proven as a leader. Just a fact. At the end of the day, you will choose what you like. IMO, if you are a life-long car guy, you MUST own a Porsche somewhere down the line (we all do). The TT is the flagship of the brand and IMO, the one to get to ensure you have lived the Porsche experience. Enjoy the path you choose, be it either/any direction.

Last edited by Turbroe; 06-25-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Dcreed10 is infamous around these partsDcreed10 is infamous around these parts
If performance is the most important ...stick with the Z06.

It's a phenomenal handling car at the track and will lay waste to a 996 Turbo S at the same track.

The Corvette has horrible interior... fake carbon fiber, and Chevy Aveo parts, seats for fat people with no support what so ever. Porsche definitely trumps it here.

Outright straight line speed... Porsche has lots of potential and I'd say can be made faster fairly easy. A few thousand dollars and you can surpass 650 HP easy...skies the limit.

Driving confidence... Corvette will beat the Porsche until you get used to the weight slung out the back and then when you learn to drive it it's hard to go back because of what you can make the car do with just the gas pedal. Porsche's don't pitty the timid...they don't like the "uh oh, let off the gas" reaction that most people have when they overcook a corner. The Corvette is easier to drive at the limit, but it can be squirrely too.

So it just depends on what you value...

If you want fun... ditch them both and get a GT3...don't care what year.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM
GETU1 is infamous around these partsGETU1 is infamous around these parts
Though the c6 interior isnt the best, its not that much worse then the very plain 996 interior

Last edited by GETU1; 06-25-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GETU1
Though the c6 interior isnt the best, its not that much worse then the very plain 996 interior

AMEN!! Thank you for posting this.

I actually like the C6 corvette interior (and the C5 interior) better. The 996, IMO, is the worst interior ever put in a porsche. It reminds me of a 2000 ford focus interior.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by drug delivery
I've thought of this too, but then I remind myself that the 996 interior is from the mid-90s, and is very much a carry over from the 993 with respect to design. It's tough to compare this to the C6 generation of Corvettes. Comparing it to a C5 gen makes sense because they nearly span the same years and the C5 Corvette interior is nothing special either, but the 996 is certainly better. Porsche improved things greatly with the 997 and the 991 is just spectacular, and GM just doesn't keep up with these type of things with the Corvette. No one has see what the inside of the C7 gen Vette will look like but I don't expect a major make over.
At least the 993 interior is sporty. It resembles the traditional design of older classic porsches. I don't see how you can consider the 996 interior design a carryover from the 993. They look completely different...

Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 AM
mike4s is infamous around these parts
I can tell for sure that the panel instruments in the Z06 are far more readable especially the speedometer. I also like the HUD and the high tranny tunnel, you car rest your right arm on it. Seats are not far worse at those in the 996 at least from the standard ones. Plastics in z06 are crappy.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mike4s
I can tell for sure that the panel instruments in the Z06 are far more readable especially the speedometer. I also like the HUD and the high tranny tunnel, you car rest your right arm on it. Seats are not far worse at those in the 996 at least from the standard ones. Plastics in z06 are crappy.
If you get a turbo, the speedometer is irrelevant anyway . They probably realized this, that's why they added the digital readout.

I personally think the 996 seats are perfect. They give all the support you need in all the right places. I do have the upgraded leather, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Bolt in some 997 sport seats... It's the best $1500 you'll spend.

Originally Posted by FI_FTW
If you get a turbo, the speedometer is irrelevant anyway . They probably realized this, that's why they added the digital readout.

I personally think the 996 seats are perfect. They give all the support you need in all the right places. I do have the upgraded leather, so not sure if that makes a difference.