996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2009 Z06 to a 2005 996 Turbo S ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 PM
SVTLOL is infamous around these parts
2009 Z06 to a 2005 996 Turbo S ?

Im looking at trading in my heads & cam 2009 Z for a stock 2005 turbo s with wheels. I have always liked the 996tt and GT2's my only question i guess would be is it worth it to go from a 638 rwhp 2009 Z to a 2005 turbo s . And when i drove the Porsche when you put it in neutral and move the stick around you can hear some play and feel a little play is that bad or normal ? And it seems like it is much harder to shift compared to the Z . I just want to make sure i get a good deal and don't get someone else's problems thanks for helping.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
bushman66 is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure of the shifter on a Z06...but the 996TT has a cable shifter. A cable shifter, IMHO, will never feel like a linkage driven shifter, no matter what you do to it. My 2001TT has the stock shifter and there is a little bit of "play" in it, and it shifts nowhere near as smoothly as the linkage-driven shifter in my 370Z. The 996TT is way more "notchy". I can't speak to the various SSK's out there...

I'd say make sure you don't have the "2nd gear popout" issue, and if not, add the GBOX detent and you'll be good to go...

Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by bushman66
I'm not sure of the shifter on a Z06...but the 996TT has a cable shifter. A cable shifter, IMHO, will never feel like a linkage driven shifter, no matter what you do to it. My 2001TT has the stock shifter and there is a little bit of "play" in it, and it shifts nowhere near as smoothly as the linkage-driven shifter in my 370Z. The 996TT is way more "notchy". I can't speak to the various SSK's out there...

I'd say make sure you don't have the "2nd gear popout" issue, and if not, add the GBOX detent and you'll be good to go...
Thanks for the Info . So do you just put it in 2nd and get on it or do you go through the gears and just see if it pops out? I had this same problem with my c5 Z06 i would go into 2nd and it would drive for a bit and then pop out. And whats the detent?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
bushman66 is infamous around these parts
I believe it tends to pop out of 2nd gear when you are going downhill and decelerate. Others can chime in here...mine doesn't have this issue (knock wood).

Here is the detent:
http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

It won't fix your transmission if you already have the problem, but its good insurance to prevent it from happening. Its easy to install (30 min job) IF you can break the cover allen plug loose on the transmission. this plug is installed with 2 gallons of loctite and torqued to about 900ft/lbs of torque by Hans the gorilla at the factory, LOL.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by bushman66
I believe it tends to pop out of 2nd gear when you are going downhill and decelerate. Others can chime in here...mine doesn't have this issue (knock wood).

Here is the detent:
http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

It won't fix your transmission if you already have the problem, but its good insurance to prevent it from happening. Its easy to install (30 min job) IF you can break the cover allen plug loose on the transmission. this plug is installed with 2 gallons of loctite and torqued to about 900ft/lbs of torque by Hans the gorilla at the factory, LOL.
Thats good info i will def drive the car again just to make sure it does not have this issue before i commit to it. But i will get that part regardless .

Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Can't compare to the Z06 but my 996TT shifts better than my BMW and as smooth as a near new 997 S I drove recently.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
I would compare a 996tt with a 997ssk to a stock Z06. I came from the honda s2000 world. So compared to that, everything is crap.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info

Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SVTLOL
Im looking at trading in my heads & cam 2009 Z for a stock 2005 turbo s with wheels. I have always liked the 996tt and GT2's my only question i guess would be is it worth it to go from a 638 rwhp 2009 Z to a 2005 turbo s . And when i drove the Porsche when you put it in neutral and move the stick around you can hear some play and feel a little play is that bad or normal ? And it seems like it is much harder to shift compared to the Z . I just want to make sure i get a good deal and don't get someone else's problems thanks for helping.
Chances are you might be disappointed. The Turbo is a much more difficult car to drive fast especially if compared to the torque and hp of your Vette. They are difficult and expensive to work on also. However because they are a forced induction motor, more hp/tq can be attained without having to change engine internals. I'd figure out a way to get a dealer to let you test drive one for half a day to make sure you really like it. They take some getting used to.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
The stock shifter in our turbos leaves a lot to be desired. However, I found that it was literally night and day once I installed a 997ssk in my car. I think you'll be very happy with your shifter if you go the ssk route. The power delivery is going to be different as others have pointed out between the two cars. My advise would be to see if you could get a ride with someone in a modified Porsche and see what you think of it.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks guys iv driven three but they just had exhaust and a tune I don't know any people with Porsche turbos around here but that would be awesome if anyone is in the Dallas fort worth area . Thanks for the info on the shifter by the way . If and when i get one I'm sure it will be in the 800hp rage soon my last Z made 1050rwhp so I'm used to boosted cars it will just take awhile to get used to the shifting I need more time behind the wheel to learn . I would be glad to give someone a ride in the Z for a ride in a Turbo Porsche .

Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I have the Gbox detent installed any my trusted shop Speed Gallery thought it was well constructed and would be effective in preventing a good tranny from developing the 2nd gear popout issue.

I also believe that some people here have reversed the popout isuue with the detent if it's installed if it only happened a few times. The more your car pops out of gear (my car never has) the more wear it is being subjected to,

As to your original question there have been several people here who have gone to the Z06 from a 996T only to return disappointed with the overall feel of the car. It is absolutely capable but not refined anywhere near the Porsche.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 AM
mike4s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Turbo Fanatic

As to your original question there have been several people here who have gone to the Z06 from a 996T only to return disappointed with the overall feel of the car. It is absolutely capable but not refined anywhere near the Porsche.
return disappointed? Sorry but i dont think you mean that they regret of buying the 996, right?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I put in the G-box detent when I did a lot of work (well Vivid Racing did) just because it was cheap and easy while the tranny was out anyway. It hasn't changed any of the performance of the car.

I've driven Vettes and they just don't produce the rewarding experience of the Porsche.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:31 AM
OttoMcintyre is infamous around these parts
A cable shifter, IMHO, will never feel like a linkage driven shifter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Z06 to a 2005 996 Turbo S ?