996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

IPD turbo blankets. Help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
Question IPD turbo blankets. Help.

Does anyone have pictures of these installed on either the K24 or K16 turbos?
Any assistance on the proper way they go on would be most helpful.

Last edited by Josh; 06-19-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Josh
Does anyone have pictures of these installed on either the K24 or K16 turbos? It appears their customer support ends after they get your money.

I only know of one other car running the blankets, MBailey. But he has A28's. Contact him, but I've only heard good things about Mike's service.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:26 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
I understand the concept of keeping the heat in.the header thus getting it out the back instead of rising into.the engine bay... My question is..are the oem manifolds and / or aftermarket header material strong enough to hold all that heat in w/o destroying themselves? Just a thought...

Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
+1 Those guys (Mike and Greg) are pretty great. Maybe send an email or have you?

triblk, The factory headers are pretty bullet-proof. As are only the "good" aftermarket headers.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SamboTT
+1 Those guys (Mike and Greg) are pretty great. Maybe send an email or have you?
I've been trying since Monday. I originally dealt with Wilber when I ordered them specifically for the K24s.
Does anyone know a better way to reach them?

I played around with them for about an hour, and the only way they seem to fit puts the connecting spring in the path of the wastegate flap. Perhaps it is something simple I am overlooking.

Attached Images      
Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
I am running the blankets on the turbos and headers (k16 billets and stock headers), I will take some pictures later today.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Does anyone have pictures of these installed on either the K24 or K16 turbos? It appears their customer support ends after they get your money.
Here are some pics. I put on the header blankets too. If you call Greg or Mike on Mon, I bet service will be good.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-blankets.html

Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Update.

I finally hooked up with Mike this past week. He said I had the blankets on correctly and the wastegates open with enough force that the springs should not restrict them, but he suggested if I still had concern, I could replace the springs with safey wire for better clearance. That is what I decided to do.
I have put about 50 miles on the car after installing them this way, and no issues so far with the wastegates getting hung up.
As far as the product itself, when the car is warmed up, there is a slight improvement in spool and overall turbo response. Cetainly nothing dramatic, but every little bit helps on K24s.

Thank you to Mike@IPD for getting it all sorted out.

Attached Images    
Old 06-24-2012, 04:58 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Update.

I finally hooked up with Mike this past week. He said I had the blankets on correctly and the wastegates open with enough force that the springs should not restrict them, but he suggested if I still had concern, I could replace the springs with safey wire for better clearance. That is what I decided to do.
I have put about 50 miles on the car after installing them this way, and no issues so far with the wastegates getting hung up.
As far as the product itself, when the car is warmed up, there is a slight improvement in spool and overall turbo response. Cetainly nothing dramatic, but every little bit helps on K24s.

Thank you to Mike@IPD for getting it all sorted out.
I think that the header blankets, since they are larger, give a greater effect than just the turbo blankets. But again dont expect much gains on the butt dyno but you can measure it on a real dyno or PBox.

I knew Mike would take care of you. Appreciate the update!!