996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My new GT2 finally home....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
My new GT2 finally home....

Well after a few conversations and a final, "OK lets do this" my new (to me) GT2 is finally home. I am starting with a good old full detail, oil change, transaxle fluid change, and a few other misc exterior mods. Before TX2K13 look for a new set of ADV1 or HRE wheels and possibly a wrap.

Pros: SUPER fun to drive.
People love to look at it and give the "thumbs up".
On 93 octane its a rocket of a street car....on 109 it may actually become a rocket.
The interior is sooo nice and simple.

Cons: The triple carbon clutch takes some getting used to.
The PCCB squeal BAD. Hoping the dealership can take a look this week.
Found a crack in the header.
Stereo is crap.
I broke the plastic shifter linkage on the 997 SSK my first Austin outing.
My first Porsche AND turbo so the learning curve for the turbo system and boost gauge / controller is huge. As is the whole octane vs boost vs bar thing.

The previous owner has been super cool with answering my lame questions and has managed not to change his number or move to Canada. Thanks man!

A friend and I drove to Minnesota (I have family there) and trailered her home. LONG drive home I must admit.

A few recent pics:

Waiting out the hail storm in Dallas...

Vette is sold. Just not picked up yet.

When you live in Texas and are from Minnesota you always make time for a White Castle! Yes I have tattoos..AND a job lol!

Thanks again Eric! I hope to see you in Texas next March. I think you will be proud of the look of your "old" car.
Thanks to 6speed members as well for all the excellent info I have received by way of reading thru the posts o this forum. I look forward to soon being a contributing member instead of a Porsche Newb who only knows how to ask questions.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Mmmmmm....nothing like White Castle to cap off a good day.

Congratulations on your new toy.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Congrats!! Such a great car! Squealing is fairly normal for the PCCB's. I wouldn't worry about it. You can try getting on them HARD a couple times and that sometimes does the trick with the squealing.

In an effort so shave weight, there is no amplifier for the stereo, and minimal speakers. With the right exhaust system you may not want to have a radio on anyway.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:22 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
looks amazing.. and "real"! congrats on the pickup. +1 on a few hard stops to eliminate brake squeal. has worked for me too.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 PM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
I am from the home of the White Castle headquarters (sorry, no tats), but that SMOKIN' car is definitely more tasty

Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
That car is a beast. I've been in it and it's nice. Congrats and let me know if you want to come to the Texas Invitational with her and compete against some other big 996TT's.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 PM
SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !
Gorgeous GT2, congrats...

Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Looks fantastic! Congrats!!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
That car is a beast. I've been in it and it's nice. Congrats and let me know if you want to come to the Texas Invitational with her and compete against some other big 996TT's.
Thanks all!
BHT...that would be an absolute yes. I should have most of the basics covered preventative maint wise shortly, as well as a new 997 trans mount and of course the 109 octane stuff figured out. Not that my little stock bottom end 700whp would be "enough".

Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 AM
BUTZI996TT is a jewel in the roughBUTZI996TT is a jewel in the roughBUTZI996TT is a jewel in the rough
Congrats! Gotta love GT2's.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Glad you like the car. I see a few subtle changes already.

I honestly never turned the stereo on except to see if it worked once. LOL

The PCCB's just need some heat. Abuse them a little and all is good.

One clarification. The fuel it was tuned for is VP MS109. It is not 109 octane. I believe it is actually 104 or 105 octane. The car comes alive on the fuel and is a beast.

I look forward to seeing you and the car at the October TI and/or TX2K13.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Nice car, just don't drive it in the Wet

Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Congrats and good luck with the car. I've been in it several times and driven it a couple of times as well. It's a great car. If you think the clutch in that car is tough you wouldn't like some of the other setups running around on this board LOL!! The man who makes a clutch that is user friendly for these cars with high HP will make a ton of money.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks again all! Eric yep I meant VP Motorsport 109. I have been talking to Boost Logic about just filling up there w 109 instead of going back and fourth between 93 and 109. I figure since I only will drive her 300mi a year it cant hurt.
As far as brakes...we found the front pads to be cracked and burned around the edges and the fact that I have been babying the car around probably didnt help either. I just gonna throw out the Pagid Yellow pads and swap in a set of OEM pads w new dampners and sensors and go from there.

Last edited by triblk6spd; 06-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 PM
1a1
1a1 is infamous around these parts
Sweet car Justin. Congrats. Can't wait for some seat time in March And maybe, get the Supra down for some pulls too!

Steve K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new GT2 finally home....