996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cheapest way to get significantly more power from stock 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Edward Jones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnspeed
After the tune which is the cheapest and a great bang for the buck,,is modifying your stock exhaust..
An exhaust is not cheap but the exhaust mod well help power AND is cheap like you asked..But an aftermarket system will give better results..
how do you modify stock exhaust and how do you know if your cats are bad? Is a catless system street legal? Thanks What Id love is a quiet system that I could easily open up for more power and sound when needed. Is that available?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Edward Jones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
yup.. sounds right.. Some tuners have k16 flash specials, I think around a G note. Be careful that the one you chose will allow you to up grade from the k16 flash cheaply. Also some tuners use the durametric cable and you will be needing one of those too to clear codes. So the tuner that uses that vrs the one that does not might be something to factor in. Dont be afraid of remote flashing, easy as pie. Ok with that out of the way what is the turbo upgrade you are thinking about?
thanks for info, right now I'm waiting for diverter valves to come in to see if that solves boost problem, then ECU, then exhaust, I guess. I suppose I ought to wait to see what 415HP feels like before I assume I need more.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Edward Jones
how do you modify stock exhaust and how do you know if your cats are bad? Is a catless system street legal? Thanks What Id love is a quiet system that I could easily open up for more power and sound when needed. Is that available?
Not in CA. In most other states, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Edward Jones
thanks for info, right now I'm waiting for diverter valves to come in to see if that solves boost problem, then ECU, then exhaust, I guess. I suppose I ought to wait to see what 415HP feels like before I assume I need more.
Wait, you haven't driven one yet? It's pretty peppy to say the least. I may do an ECU tune but I honestly don't know if I need a lot more power. Exhaust may come first to make it sound a little more like supercar; pretty mellow stock.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Exhaust, tune, turbos, injectors, intercoolers. In that order. IMO you don't need anything else unless going for a max effort car. Stock plumbing has the least amount of leaks and supports up to 700HP.

IMO tuning a corked up car (no exhaust) adds a lot heat to the system and isn't good for your car. The most the factory put out of the 996 chassis through the stock exhaust was .9 bar with K24s in the 04-05 GT2. It made 477 HP.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
regrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the rough
I did a tune from Kevin at UMW ($1000) and bought a used Cargraphic exhaust ($1500). 2500 spent and its like an entirely different car.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 PM
carlos fandango is infamous around these parts
My plan is an ECU re map, not sure whose yet and then drill out the stock exhaust. Theres a whole thread on here about the exhaust mod, adds up to 20 BHP??? sounds good and costs SFA.

The other thing I find is to drive my wifes car, 1.8 nissan, and then get straight into the TT. It goes much faster when I do this

Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Drilling the stock exhaust will provide you slightly increased noise level and that's about it. Restriction is still evident. It's night and day going from stock to a full 3" exhaust.