996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cheapest way to get significantly more power from stock 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Edward Jones is infamous around these parts
Cheapest way to get significantly more power from stock 996 Turbo

Can any one help me with this?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
ECU tune... simple and quick. Check the sponsors out. Thereafter.. headers and full exhaust replace... to increase the exhaust flow. That blows the cobwebs out and adds some more horses AND exhaust noise (which you may like - or not). Next on the list, get some driving lessons - seriously - that will be the biggest bang for the buck. If you have more money? OK , update the suspension FIRST with 18 inch wheels NOT 19 inch. Not enough yet.. upgrade the turbo's is next on the list. Now you have spent 15K -20K at least. The good news? You can spend all that money here with the sponsors on this forum. It's THAT easy. Of course this is just my 2 cents!! Enjoy!!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Morden314 is infamous around these parts
Buy a 996 turbo with mods all ready done

Old 06-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Edward Jones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hroussard
ECU tune... simple and quick.
a local shop said $2250 for 80HP but when I read about it seemd to say 80HP with intake and exhaust for another $3000? Does that seem right?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
yup.. sounds right.. Some tuners have k16 flash specials, I think around a G note. Be careful that the one you chose will allow you to up grade from the k16 flash cheaply. Also some tuners use the durametric cable and you will be needing one of those too to clear codes. So the tuner that uses that vrs the one that does not might be something to factor in. Dont be afraid of remote flashing, easy as pie. Ok with that out of the way what is the turbo upgrade you are thinking about?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Morden314
Buy a 996 turbo with mods all ready done
Morden . that is no fun !! :-). It is the safest and quickest way for sure but there is no exciting building process and if you really like to select specific mods that you really want, you may have to tear down some of the stuff you already paid for, which really will nullify anything you might have saved. So if you really want to methodically build the mods, you are better off working with a GOOD TUNER that can advise you and steer you in the right direction so you pay only once and get the right - expected and anticipated - result.
Full disclosure, I bought my 996TT complete as is with mods and all because I do not want to get more power than I have right now (my car is frightening fast). But I did replace the after market exhaust and went back to stock as it was too loud for the way I use the car (neighbors did not enjoy it either) and I love my 19 inch wheels although the ride is pretty hard with those thin rubber bands on it.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold

Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I dont think it can be done ...Have you did a search on this yet?
HI,Seriously a tune,,then it all starts from there...Good Luck.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edward Jones
Can any one help me with this?
E to the P to the L!!!

Call Tony at EPL. He has a tune that is one the most advanced tune you can buy for $1200. He even runs specials sometimes

Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Do yourself a favor and talk to the tuners..The cheapest is not always the best..Its service after the sale that counts...
Make some calls to Protomotive>Todd K.,911 Tuning>Markski and there are a few others...Do your home work for the future...Good Luck..

Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Morden314 is infamous around these parts
Getting a modded car is the cheapest, just like getting a built track car will be cheaper than making it yourself (usually). It won't be as fun and may take time to find one that has what you want since many options are subjective and vary on what your goals are.

Tune and exhaust hands down will be best bang for the buck, but after that the expense curve will be much higher. Be careful of optimizing soley on price since that could lead to problems down the line. Set a power goal, find a tuner that gives you good support, and they will give you as much power as you can afford. A cheap system might be more agressive on boost, and not on fuel or safety margine with bad potential concequences.

This talk makes me think back to the cheapest power mod of old. 1.0 bar boost spring for the 930. Like $50, instant power. Get a 1.2 bar boost spring and that cheapest power that can then turn expensive when the engine grenades.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
I don't currently have a 911 turbo (hopefully by the end of next week), but some water/meth injection and bleeder valves on the wastegate/wastegates would probably make a big difference.

Then you could have some straight pipes welded up with O2 extenders. By this time I'm sure you will need diverter valves (which you will need regardless).

At this point you will have a pretty fast car, but you will have inconsistent boost, random CEL's, a very load exhaust, you'll possibly being hitting a boost cut and you'll have a 911 you won't be proud of.

As people are saying, just buy it with mods or do a tune.

Just my 2 cents, Steve

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 06-19-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
Tune + Exhaust = Fast TT

You wont get bored with the extra 80-100 Hp for at least 2 weeks to a month.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Tune is best bang for the buck but works better with a high flow exhaust. Budget $3-$4k and you won't believe its the same car.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 PM
After the tune which is the cheapest and a great bang for the buck,,is modifying your stock exhaust..
An exhaust is not cheap but the exhaust mod well help power AND is cheap like you asked..But an aftermarket system will give better results..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to get significantly more power from stock 996 Turbo