996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1.5 bar on stock turbos on GIAC tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:48 AM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
1.5 bar on stock turbos on GIAC tune

I'm seeing my car boost and hold to 1.5 bar in 3rd and 4th gear on my stage 1 GIAC tune on stock turbos. GIAC said I should only see 1.3 max. Anyone have any ideas on things to check for to see why this is happening. I'm going to check lines to my wastegates to make sure their unobstructed, but don't really know where else to check. I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 AM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
Check your wastegates. The arm should start open at 13 PSI.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 AM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vshugo996
Check your wastegates. The arm should start open at 13 PSI.
Is there a DIY way to do this? Or do I need to bring the car in? Sorry for the naive question. This is my first turbo car.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI, Also check the small ID vaccum hose connection under your Y-pipe,the pipe that the has the legs that goes to each sides boost hose and then the trunk goes to the throttle body..I think that hose prevents over boosting...
Also,did anyone adjust your waste gates?? Because when I had my first tune, it was a GIAC , they told you to tighten them up by turning the nuts in so many turns ...Maybe they are over tightened??
Next option,Call Andrew at GIAC..He is a great guy to talk to,helpful and smart.
Good Luck..

Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm going to get my ECU retuned by Eurocharged to use their 996 profile and go from there. Jerry is great to work with.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
After your visit to Eurocharged, feel free to shoot me an email and we'll see if we can figure out the issue.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC
After your visit to Eurocharged, feel free to shoot me an email and we'll see if we can figure out the issue.
Check your email Thomas. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BOOSTD
I'm going to get my ECU retuned by Eurocharged to use their 996 profile and go from there. Jerry is great to work with.
Your overboost condition will not be remedied by a reflash from another tuner. They might custom tune the overboost condition out, but it will still be an issue down the road when whatever is causing it gets fixed. We have never released files that make that much boost on K16s. Your best bet would be to get some diagnostics performed on the car as you will not make more power with another flash.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
Your overboost condition will not be remedied by a reflash from another tuner. They might custom tune the overboost condition out, but it will still be an issue down the road when whatever is causing it gets fixed. We have never released files that make that much boost on K16s. Your best bet would be to get some diagnostics performed on the car as you will not make more power with another flash.
Hi Austin. Any recommendations on where in Dallas to run diags? The tune was done at Boardwalk Porsche, but I am not sure if you have any other recommendations. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi Austin. Any recommendations on where in Dallas to run diags? The tune was done at Boardwalk Porsche, but I am not sure if you have any other recommendations. Thanks.
I'm in the Dallas area. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You def need some diagnosis. Seams like an issue a dealer can find as well. A good start would be the N75 valve John mentioned and any of the lines too/from it especially if you have no CEL. They commonly fail along with the small line that goes to it from the Y-pipe. Only about $40. Look on the right side of your Y-pipe with a flashlight and you will see the small L line going to the gray valve.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT
You def need some diagnosis. Seams like an issue a dealer can find as well. A good start would be the N75 valve John mentioned and any of the lines too/from it especially if you have no CEL. They commonly fail along with the small line that goes to it from the Y-pipe. Only about $40. Look on the right side of your Y-pipe with a flashlight and you will see the small L line going to the gray valve.
Maybe I'll just swap out the N75 first since this seems to be a common cause of overboost from the search I just did. Thanks for the tip. I think this is worth the swap before paying a diag fee to the dealer or an indy.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Former Vendor
We can setup Autoscope with our Porsche diagnostics logger so that they can run some logs for us on one of their Mustang Dynos.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
We can setup Autoscope with our Porsche diagnostics logger so that they can run some logs for us on one of their Mustang Dynos.
That could work, Austin. Can I use the factory N75 with the tune? I assume I can so please let me know if I am incorrect. I'll swap the N75 first and retest since it's only $32. If anything, I will learn how to swap in for future reference.

I'll hit you up next week to let you know if we need to diag it. Who at Autoscope do you guys work with? I've dealt with Carson at the shop on E55 stuff. They don't have AFR on their dyno right now. I don't know if that matters or not for your tests.

Last edited by BOOSTD; 06-22-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I had a client with a similar problem... wen thru the whole car... did fix a bunch of stuff as the car used to be a 700 hp setup returned to stock... it did need a re flash though...
OEM wgs working properly cannot boost past 1.2 if that...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1.5 bar on stock turbos on GIAC tune