996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My Rendition of a Cross Flow Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9bells
I was looking at that design alot actually, and was not convinced it was worth the effort. I am however curious to know how a system with no x-over but the same length( bends that do not open in the middle) would sound.
I just know straight pipes don't sound good at any rpm. (the straight off the turbo to tip kind)

This design is closer to what I prefer too, I bet it will sound good.
Nice job.

Thanks, I am just messing around. The two banks just need to "talk in order to sound good I did that years ago on my C2 big sound difference. I am not sure which proto exhaust John is referring to but post up a pic here and lets get the ideas flowing. There is no reason why you cant have what you want your way unless its just kills power. lol..

Old 06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Perkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant futurePerkman87 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by prodigymb
usually people say "not to be a....." when they are about to be a "...."

surely you didn't invent the x flow design, as a sponsor its common courtesy to not to be a "...." in other's threads

I approve this.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
LOL I never liked how all the other exhausts forced the two banks through the same size opening as the primary diameter of the one bank.
Tim

Sending you PM with some info

Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Thanks, I am just messing around. The two banks just need to "talk in order to sound good I did that years ago on my C2 big sound difference. I am not sure which proto exhaust John is referring to but post up a pic here and lets get the ideas flowing. There is no reason why you cant have what you want your way unless its just kills power. lol..
Protomotives X is like this,,,each pipe comes from each side then crosses each other in the middle then continues to the opposite side to exit..Where they cross,the backside of one pipe is opened and connected to the opened frontside of the other pipe. Both pipes act like seperate in one way but have a common chamber connection. Plus you do not have that sharp U bend and merge hit of gases.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
John - I know exactly which Proto design you're talking about

My opinion is that a longer exhaust pipe would be more beneficial, and that ideally where the gases meet/merge they should be flowing in the same direction

However, There is the chance that I'm talking absolute rubbish - It wouldn't be the first time you know

Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ant_8u
John - I know exactly which Proto design you're talking about

My opinion is that a longer exhaust pipe would be more beneficial, and that ideally where the gases meet/merge they should be flowing in the same direction

However, There is the chance that I'm talking absolute rubbish - It wouldn't be the first time you know
Yes, and this was why I did not go that route. The gases would see each other in opposite directions still.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9bells
Yes, and this was why I did not go that route. The gases would see each other in opposite directions still.
HI,Maybe I explained wrong??
They never merge at the common opening point of each pipe,I called it a chamber, they still run side by side individually..
I know Todd has made big HP with this system..

Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
Guys, this exhaust is on my car right now. It sounds absolutely insane. We took a few videos but they were done at 4am, which is when we finished installing the new clutch.
im going to post a thread about it, but for now.. enjoy these pics.

My cats are gutted. I'm not sure what kind of headers i have, but my car sounds like no other turbo i've ever heard.

Tim has a go-pro which we'll put on the car this week.

Attached Images   
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
Guys, this exhaust is on my car right now. It sounds absolutely insane. We took a few videos but they were done at 4am, which is when we finished installing the new clutch.
im going to post a thread about it, but for now.. enjoy these pics.

My cats are gutted. I'm not sure what kind of headers i have, but my car sounds like no other turbo i've ever heard.

Tim has a go-pro which we'll put on the car this week.
Thanks for sharing..What size piping ?
Is the bend at the center of the X connected,open to each bank?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i believe its a 2.5 inch straight through.
as far as the other questions, i have no idea. Tim will have to answer those.
im going to try and get a high quality sound clip. it doesnt sound like two three cyl engines anymore.

oh yea, the car is noticeably quieter at idle.
my fabspeed gen 1 sounded very harley-like at idle (the gen 1 does NOT cross over, its it was essentially a straight pipe exhaust. the idle now sounds like a v6.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Great discussion and as always , we are all learning. So I wanted to throw some more stuff into this discussion. As a pilot we are trying to do the same thing, get more power and a better sound. Aircraft engines sound horrible and run between 700- and 2700 revs typically at 75%-80% power in cruise and 100% power at take-off so these suckers are running really hard at all times. The layout is essentially the same as the Porsche, a flat 4 or a flat six with or without turbo's.
Here is a link to the website of Powerflowsystems and their explanation of what a tuned exhaust looks like. I can tell you that the performance increase and the sound are just on another level.

Check it out http://www.powerflowsystems.com/exhaust_process.php

Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM
BaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant futureBaldBag has a brilliant future
Tim you are not the inventor of the X-Pipe Design!

I am!

Your welds do look great!

Ok ok so I wasnt the inventor of the X-Pipe and I did Copy GMG's when I made mine

Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Thanks for sharing..What size piping ?
Is the bend at the center of the X connected,open to each bank?
John,

I used 2.5 304 stianless. It really is not an X in the sense of the word more like a "window" for the banks to "talk" through.

Steve,

I told you I would get you to fall in love with you car again. Too bad about the cake, I think the present did not need dessert.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Hey Tim,You and I have always been on the same page about our thoughts on the exhaust steams of each bank coming together and hitting each other..What were your thoughts on the Protomotive X?
But I do think the EB design is the best design out there in that X type .
I guess most people are more so into the sound aspect ??

Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Sound is one of the senses...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Rendition of a Cross Flow Exhaust