996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HRE's may be banned from PCA track events

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:19 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
wow - glad you are ok and welcome to the forum

Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Redlinerobert
Isn't that a Kinesis wheel though? I'll continue to buy HRE's as long as they are available.
It is a kinesis... He stated that in the original post... but the link on the audi board is about HRE's

Old 06-09-2005, 01:31 PM
seh1 is infamous around these parts
kinesis

he also states that the wheels had been powdercoated (heated), then heated to strip the coating and then coated (heated) again. not sure i'm correct here but these kinds of temperature variations will fatigue any metal, will they not?

lets not assume too much too quickly...

Last edited by seh1; 06-09-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:55 PM
My87Targa is infamous around these parts
any wheel can do that though

Old 06-09-2005, 02:12 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
We've been following this issue as well and are anxious to see what the issue is. There's a lot of speculation going around, but no official statements.

From the article:
"Apparently tolerances are sooooo poor that the tires often rotate on the wheels themselves as the rims are often slightly too small."

That's a pretty big accusation to make.
I'd like to see the proof of such a reputable company.

One thing to keep in mind is that in this industry prices do NOT always designate quality. People all too often think that because a wheel is $750 each it's automatically track worthy. Not the case. Certain construction techniques have to be followed. If I had a modded Viper that is that heavy and putting that much power down I would NOT be running a 5 spoke wheel. Something like the BBS above is a much better, stronger idea. More spokes = more strength.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp

Last edited by damon@tirerack; 06-09-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:25 PM
PaulKam is infamous around these parts
Although we dont know what led to the failure of this wheel (stress fractures, fatigue, prior impact then rapair, etc) it seems these days you can get a "so-called" performance wheel thats made in china for $100.00.
Just because it fits on a Porsche doesn't mean it can meet the rigorous demands that a high performance vehicle puts on its components.
I personally would NEVER put afternarket wheels on my vehicle that didn't cary TUV approval. Just my .02

paul

Old 06-09-2005, 02:41 PM
vegasgolf98 is infamous around these parts
My wheel failed, it was an expensive forged center, track wheel made in the USA. There was no impact and was only used for four track (D/E) days previously.

You can ask me questions and I will address them as best as I can for everyone's safety. But, I am not a spokesman for Kinesis and I think serious questions should be directed there and can only be answered there. These wheels have not yet been tested, but it looks as though it may have been powdercoating related. Please be careful.

Last edited by vegasgolf98; 06-09-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Don Relentless
damn. one of many occurances. and people thought i was dick riding I-forged, at least they don't have wheels cracking.
that's cuz no sane fool even thinks about racing with iForged.

I think we all know that a lot of these mods on cars including the fancy wheels are purely for looks. c'mon. 19" wheels on a 911 is pure beauty.

but yes, this does hurt the ego a bit for all HRE lovers out there. you spend a lot of money thinking it does all things well... well, it don't.

go Fikse/BBS/OZ!!

Old 06-09-2005, 02:43 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
this is really too bad

Old 06-09-2005, 03:03 PM
marcsanz is infamous around these parts
The key thing to look for in wheels that are to be used in such high stress environments is TUV approval. The number of wheel companys that have gone the extra mile to obtain that certification are few and far between. That was a huge factor in my decision to exclusively offer my customers Avus wheels.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:05 PM
trybaljedi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by 996turbo
Next time, i'm gonna stick to a proven brand......

LOL, HREs on a Stradale? ..and at the track?

Old 06-09-2005, 03:09 PM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
Now there's a surprise...

Old 06-09-2005, 03:26 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
While I know HREs are not "track wheels", I always thought Kinesis were. I seem to see Kinesis alot on track cars.

Nevertheless I am not worried about it. I will still run HREs on my cars. I don't track them, never would with an HRE anyway, and they are mot exactly failing in any kind of mass numbers.

Wasn't there a thread awhile back that showed a stock wheel failing like this as well.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:03 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by My87Targa
any wheel can do that though

definately, and all wheel brands probably have, including stock ones

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 06-09-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:09 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by damon@tirerack

From the article:
"Apparently tolerances are sooooo poor that the tires often rotate on the wheels themselves as the rims are often slightly too small."

that's stupid, this is common, esp. w/ sticky tires/slicks and cars w/ a lot of torque. Hell chad experienced it the first time he went to the track, i've seen it myself even on measily powered hondas w/ slicks.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 06-09-2005 at 04:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE's may be banned from PCA track events