996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HRE's may be banned from PCA track events

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 04:27 PM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
Ouch!

Old 06-10-2005, 04:32 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by MANA
But it's so much easier to blame the bling.
Hmm...drawing conclusions without real knowlege...what's the word for people who do that?....oh, yeah...HACK.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:52 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
I know a guy that has cracked more than one HRE wheel at track events.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by MANA
But it's so much easier to blame the bling.

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 06-10-2005, 05:51 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I"m not surprised that the bling wheels fall apart at the track, but the problems with Kinesis and Fikse are very surprising. Personally, I'll stick with OEM/ BBS or Ruf wheels on my car.
Who makes the Ruf wheels? I bet they are a quality piece or Ruf wouldn't use them.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 PM
JayM is infamous around these parts
Who makes the Ruf wheels?

I know that OZ makes some of them. And as we know, they are heavy. This may help explain why.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Hi Jay!

Yep,heavy as hell! But,WTF I can live with heavy wheels! Agree?

cheers

R

Hey,am I going to see you in Nevada soon?

Old 06-10-2005, 09:29 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Hey, we have cracked both rear Fikse (18 x 12.5's) FM10's at the same time. Got to admit, they didn't look like the above pic. Those breaks look like cast ......... not forged.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:32 AM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
Chad...have you had your Fikse crack in the center section or the outer rim?

Old 06-11-2005, 09:43 AM
My87Targa is infamous around these parts
anyone ever try using CCWs??

Old 06-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Super D

For those in the know, HRE made racing wheels long before they made wheels for the sports and luxury car enthusiasts they've become popular with in recent years.

So they did in the past... which groups/orgs/races did they supply with any amount of success? Duration?

Old 06-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Don Relentless is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Benjamin Choi
So they did in the past... which groups/orgs/races did they supply with any amount of success? Duration?
does it really matter.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
Here’s my .02 which I’m sure some won’t agree or like it but, it’s just my point of view from being around the race track more than twenty years.

If PCA is actually considering Banning HRE wheels I’d really like to see the reason. Would it be from this one incident? I think the bench mark for racing wheels is likely BBS and I can’t begin to count the number of those I’ve seen cracked and broken over the years. In fact I believe BBS is even no longer offering their racing centers in the Aluminum/Magnesium blend the used for years do to the fact they’ve had so many problems with their wheels cracking with so few hours of racing. In 87 or 88 when I was driving at 24 hours of Daytona I had a left rear Ronal completely break like the wheel in the photo, it actually came off in a right hand turn in the infield and went under the car and I bounced over it with no warning but, that got my attention. The Ronal’s were 3 piece German made and only about 6 races old. When we got back to the pits we checked all the others and found 5 more of our 16 wheels were starting to crack! We learned the hard way to check our wheels every day at the race track from that point on. Don’t think for a minute that BBS, Fikse, OZ’s or any others you can think of don’t break because they all will at some point unless we do what NASCAR does and all go to Steel wheels (wouldn’t that be swell).

The wheel in the photo is a Kinesis but, I can tell you first hand they are a very serious Company when it comes to the strength and safety of their wheels. This is one of the reasons you don’t see them producing 50 different looking centers. When they design a wheel it is first done on CAD/CAM/CAE software which has the ability to do FEA (finite element analysis) which is complete stress analysis for the particular material. Then they physically build the design and send it to a wheel testing facility that does fatigue testing which cycles the wheel and stresses it until it actually breaks. Then a complete analysis is written on the results. This is not only time consuming but rather expensive. Most all of the larger wheel manufactures do testing similar to this so, the data and the research has been done. I don’t know what happened on the wheel in the photo and it’s really a shame but if nothing else I think everyone reading this thread should learn something rather than pointing fingers. If you like going to the track hopefully you’ll check your wheels for cracking more often now. Because it does and will eventually happen to all of us if we aren’t paying attention.

I can tell you that after 911 Design in Claremont had more than 25 BBS centers crack in less than a year and a half he now for the past 5 years only recommends Kinesis wheels to his customers. He had told me that he now almost NEVER sees wheels crack anymore. They service more than 50 track cars and usually take from 8 to 15 cars to each event. From that one example I think you can say Kinesis last longer than BBS … and I’m a huge fan of BBS … just look at my picture next to my name (that’s my street car)

What I’m trying to say is don’t draw conclusions too quickly without doing the homework. I think it’s not the norm for a wheel to break that quickly and you can bet Kinesis is all over this but, these wheels are clearly not junk!

Old 06-12-2005, 07:39 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Thanks Cary. Really good to have input from someone in racing--as opposed to "bench racing".

Hope you're up to no good, and having fun. Tyson and I had lunch and were singing your praises this week.

Dave

Old 06-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Great post Cary. Your comments definately put the proper perspective on this issue in my opinion.

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE's may be banned from PCA track events