996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HRE's may be banned from PCA track events

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:41 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Cary. I feel better about my K58's now.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:03 PM
1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by RU_MATRX
Highly informative and practical, educated posts 1SICKLEX and Cary Eisenlohr. Thanks for explaining the physics and insights so that we can draw better, well-informed conclusions.

I wanted to state that the title of this thread is truly misleading and unfounded without facts or supportive conclusions. Unfortunately this thread didn't start out as a sincere FYI, rather an irresponsible headline. Sadly, I'm seeing people in other threads here who most likely read the title and nothing more (maybe the first page only), now intimidated by aftermarket brands/wheel purchases, in general.

Making these unsubstantiated conclusions that HRE wheels, infact Kinesis wheels from the actual picture, are not track-worthy to the point of being "banned" could apply to most any wheel. So, does that mean if I post ONE stock 996TT wheel that has fractured completely irrespective of the event or condition/cyclical stress which produced that failure on the track, I can blatantly state that "Stock Porsche Wheels May Be Banned From All Future Track Events Around the US?" Please, lets find out more about the circumstances, more details from the owner (powder-coating re-processing, etc), along with maybe SOME? recurring evidence before making invalid conclusions that unjustifiably tarnishes a wheel manufacturer/business. Don't forget, this type of headline creates a sense of of general insecurity about specific brands just like crying wolf. I wouldn't like someone posting my fractured wheels on the Internet forums to highlight it as conclusive evidence for some Unilateral BAN or brand-inferred inferiority, especially without my permission. Just as importantly, I'm certain that the mis-labled and depicted wheel manufacturers wouldn't enjoy their business spotlighted as an unfounded icon of catastrophic quality failure either.
No problem, on our forum, I edited the thread title as it didn't seem warrented anymore.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Falgo is infamous around these parts
" Viper Racing League has indeed banned HRE and other so called Ă¢â‚¬Å“show wheelsĂ¢â‚¬Â but does not have any specifications or testing requirements to validate that wheels are track-worthy other than requiring a manufacturing label showing the date the wheels were manufactured to ensure wheels older than 2 years are not used.

HRE wheels have only been banned by VRL because they feel they are Ă¢â‚¬Å“showĂ¢â‚¬Â wheels.

When the Competition Series were mentioned, they were unaware that they existed and said they would be okay.

It appears the reasoning behind the action is based more on perception than any fact. When asked about other brands failing, the response was Ă¢â‚¬Å“AllĂ¢â‚¬Â other manufacturers have had track failures. In the end it appears the whole reason for all of this is HREĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s reputation as being a Ă¢â‚¬Å“blingĂ¢â‚¬Â wheel with track guys.

Some other thoughts:

Racing wheels are meant to be retired after a season or two.

Racing wheels should be inspected before each and every race.

All wheel brands will eventually fail at the track if they are not retired before their useful fatigue life is used up. "

- name withheld

Old 06-16-2005, 04:46 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I find it funny this picture wasn't posted, so in fact the wheels were on a porsche, not a viper

Old 06-16-2005, 07:21 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Just heard from a friend that spoke with the PCA national rules chairman that no wheel brand has been or will be banned, it's untrue. He said the PCA has experienced wheels breaking on track of all kinds for years, and that they've made efforts to call awareness to frequent inspections of wheels before going on track, as they said all wheels can and will break under track use.