996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Put bigger turbos on...car makes less power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
mechanic just called...bottom center testing with valves close...cylinder 4 has 40% leakdown and 5 has 25%...all others are at 4%

engine being shipped backed tomorrow

Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
If the builder is against you pulling the head then bore scope it through the spark plug. This really sucks. Just a question do you let the car come up to temp before you get on boost? That could cause that type of problem.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
What were break in recommendations? (rhetorical)

Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Maybe your heads lifted? Are you using stock studs? Why does your builder hate your mechanic? Just curious how animosity like that develops between a builder and mechanic. Hope you get things resolved.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
my builder said that scored or broken rings would smoke all the time and not just on start up.... These also DO show in a leak down as blow by to the case, bad valves show leak down to the intake or exhaust as to which ones are bad. To loose HP the cylinders would have either be getting to much blow by to the case under pressure or even with a leak down as an NA car. The blow by would cause excessive crankcase pressure and cause oil to blow by the seals etc.
I dont think blow by from the rings are going to put that much pressure to make the seals leak, unless the seals were bad to begin with.
The crank case vent system should handle that pressure..

Old 07-20-2012, 07:01 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
i do not want to mention names right now

i do plan to ship it back to builder tomorrow

as for making it right...it will be very hard to work out as my builder highly dislikes my mechanic
mechanic just called...bottom center testing with valves close...cylinder 4 has 40% leakdown and 5 has 25%...all others are at 4%

It's ironic that the builder hates the mechanic because he's never been even remotely cooperative with him. If he had a professional bone in his body he'd be working with "the mechanic" to resolve the issues you are having. But he's probably already been paid for the work hasn't he. Send it to Knighton or Zuccone and be done with it once and for all Ben. There are at least 10 cars on this board now that have used the same mechanic with a different builder with ZERO issues.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 AM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
yeah i live in a residential area with lots of cops...takes me about 5 mins to get out of everytime so car is warmed up by then

it has raceware head studs.

i am hopeful my builder will work with me to fix the problem.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Ben,

It is not a head stud issue.

bmoores,

Evoms and proto are not the only two who can build motors.

"It's ironic that the builder hates the mechanic because he's never been even remotely cooperative with him. If he had a professional bone in his body he'd be working with "the mechanic" to resolve the issues you are having. But he's probably already been paid for the work hasn't he."

Well the car was sent to the builder and drivin around for 500 miles after build by said builder. So in his deference he sent a working car back to Ben. Ben went with larger turbos after another 500 miles and I bet that is the problem with the builder, mods after the fact.
Tim

Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Ben,

It is not a head stud issue.

bmoores,

Evoms and proto are not the only two who can build motors.

"It's ironic that the builder hates the mechanic because he's never been even remotely cooperative with him. If he had a professional bone in his body he'd be working with "the mechanic" to resolve the issues you are having. But he's probably already been paid for the work hasn't he."

Well the car was sent to the builder and drivin around for 500 miles after build by said builder. So in his deference he sent a working car back to Ben. Ben went with larger turbos after another 500 miles and I bet that is the problem with the builder, mods after the fact.
Tim
Tim,

I know there are other builders, plenty at that. I was just stating two of the obvious other candidates with GREAT track records, proven ones at that. I'm just stating that Ben has had nothing but a ****storm with this particular individual since he started his dealings with him. At least that's all i've even been privy too. Ben has been dealing with this crap for waaay too long.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC

Tim
This is a good point and it will be the reason that the builder will
Use if he won't rebuild it for free. however, the new turbos aren't a major leap in size and I'm guessing he/builder/tuner sent a new tune for them.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
This is a good point and it will be the reason that the builder will
Use if he won't rebuild it for free. however, the new turbos aren't a major leap in size and I'm guessing he/builder/tuner sent a new tune for them.
Just a guess right

Old 07-20-2012, 11:27 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Anyone else feel out of the loop here, or just me?

bad107, sorry to hear of your built-motor woes.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !

as much as it is bad new news it is also huge progress, at least you know what the problem is now. when builder doesnt like your mechanic in my experience you gotta drop one or the other and i feel from our private conversations that your mechanic did an overall good job diagnosing a hidden internal issue that showed his competency to me ( kudos to him) while your builder kept saying internal issue is not the cause and gave some bogus reasons why it cant be so.

jump ship my friend and dont get hit by the same bus twice - is my advice

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

Last edited by Mark @ AIM Performance; 07-20-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear that is what the problem ended up being.

As far as the mechanic goes he is the only person other than my brother in Houston that I will let touch my car. So needless to say for the builder to dislike there becomes another problem.

There are other builders out there that do good work. There are maybe a handful of cars that make big power (I am talking north of 1000+ wheel HP). Everyone thinks it is just so easy to make power yet I see no actual action taken. For people who think my car is just down and not running you far from right. I made a 4.3 60-130 pass in 100* heat on e85 less than a month ago with Matt in the car.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
Sorry to hear that is what the problem ended up being.

As far as the mechanic goes he is the only person other than my brother in Houston that I will let touch my car. So needless to say for the builder to dislike there becomes another problem.

There are other builders out there that do good work. There are maybe a handful of cars that make big power (I am talking north of 1000+ wheel HP). Everyone thinks it is just so easy to make power yet I see no actual action taken. For people who think my car is just down and not running you far from right. I made a 4.3 60-130 pass in 100* heat on e85 less than a month ago with Matt in the car.

Are you signing up for TI this fall Chris?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Put bigger turbos on...car makes less power