996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone have FACTUAL support for UMW vs EPL Tunes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ajs76
I just read about 15 threads covering various reflashes, but 95% of the responses are

"+1 for UMW"

"EPL. End of story"

"Kevin is the BEST"

"You're going to need a new clutch there's so much more power with ____ Flash"

Frankly, most of that is just not useful. Has anyone compared the two in any semi scientific way to determine things like:

-UMW's tune has more torque below 3k.
-EPL tuning yields better results than UMW if paired with an exhaust only.
-EPL's boost comes on more smoothly at partial throttle (not purely factual but at least it's comparative)

That kind of stuff. I fully expect smart @ss responses like "Kevin is the best"
I did not read the whole thread. Why because like you say it just not useful info. I see it up top for a few days now so I open the thread up. What are your mods first. Second what mods do you plan? Now knowing that can the tuners you are thinking about still support the level of modding you want to be at? I feel very strong about anybody's tune is great up till K24's and stock injectors. Take it or leave it thats the truth as I have seen it. I dont sell tunes but used too. Do you really think you will feel 10 more hp? Thats about the same as you taking out your tool kit and spare plus runing a 1/4 tank of gas vrs a full tank and the tool kit and spare. Oh also some tuners give you a durametric cable to down load your flash remotely and you shoukld think about that also if you do not have the cable already. I hope this helps you out. If you would like you can PM me for more info.

Tim

Old 07-15-2012, 07:46 PM
evil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud of
Tim, that is good info. Can we discuss what download hardware is provided with different vendors " flashes"?

Meaning, if i have a durametrics, do i need to buy something else to flash, etc..

Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 PM
RxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hector-PRAC
Protomotive FTW!
Plus 2!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
..Everyone has their own tuner and usually favors them after they spent the money because of the service or the way there car ran after there tune or now they are into them in which they want to stay on their good side and other reasons...All of which is fine and understandable..
In which its a great thing to be satisfied and I hope everyone has been happy with their choice..
There are very good 'tuner'S' out there.
I dont believe that anyone would waste money on another new tune if they were happy with their first out lay of money..But unfortunately sometimes things dont work out for what ever reasons and people switch..
So now those do have a comparison..
The only thing I would like to add is that when the followers of a tuner hear a bad thing mentioned about their tuner or that someone did a better tune then them,with proof, or hear about another tuners good results in which that tuner doesnt post on here >>Some will not want to believe it ,which is understandable and others will only question the post/OP or the other guys tuner..
Sure we all wish that our tuner is the best,knows the most and that there can not be any better tune out there after we spent our money..BUT reality is not all tuners tune the same way,,each package is different,different ranges and have different guide lines..
We all share on here AND I hope we all are truthful and can handle the truth which ever way it may go..
It seems the majority does rule BUT the minority should have credibilty also..

Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
As some have said the aftercare is just as important as the first sale. Most of us end up going in to other mods which require a new tune so having an upgrade program with your tuner is key. Part of that is also proximity.

I just ran into a smog problem and EPL has stepped up and are providing a new tune and cable to help me out. Did they have to do this- no, but they value their customers and the good will it provides. I have had their K16 file since 2009 and have changed my exhaust 5 times in the process (I have issues) and it adapted wonderfully every time. My stock clutch is also holding up just fine.

Either way flash/exhaust are a must for these cars- mod and enjoy!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I think you have to consider your potential upgrade paths before committing to a tuner. You dont want to be in a place where you catch yourself thinking you might need to switch tuners and dish out another 2,000$ just because you want to go a different route with your car.
best response, you have to look at your ultimate goal. i know with UMW you get what you get, i had there tune and liked it a lot, however, i was limited on which turbos, etc i could use and had to make a change with tuners.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 AM
nyuaznguy is infamous around these parts
i dont' think you can go wrong with either one.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Is there an official one Porsche has used? If I remember well, VW has used APR in the past; that's what I run on my GTI.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
It is factual that Steve K loves his UMW tune..

Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Christian
best response, you have to look at your ultimate goal. i know with UMW you get what you get, i had there tune and liked it a lot, however, i was limited on which turbos, etc i could use and had to make a change with tuners.

This is a HUGE point. Due to the fact Kevin's market share is negligible compared to others like EPL and Protomotive, UMW's turbos are pretty much for Kevin by Kevin; meaning when [yes when not if] you decide you are ready for more power, your pretty much stuck with his turbos.

If you question the or the "negligible" point, just go to the for sale section and check just how difficult it is for people to sell his turbos back into the market. Then compare and contrast that against a set of 16G's or 24/18's. We are talking a difference in a set of 24/18's selling in a week or less whereas with Kevin's I think you will be talking months if they are sold at all.

The other point about tuning for extra horsepower, or going back to the tuner well, is also worth its weight in gold. Not sure about EPL and others but am fairly certain Protomotive charges a flat $300 for any additional tune.

Good luck with it!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:59 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Its nice to have a choice...
You get what you pay for,,and ,,sometimes you don't know until later on....

Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Protomotive..
I had a Few tuners to compare to.
Agree 1000%, I started with a few other ones... Ended up with Protomotive.