996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Amplifier Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Question Amplifier Question

I have a 2001 996 turbo with factory navigation and door speakers. I don't see any Bose logos, so I'm assuming it's not Bose.

I'm getting ready to order a double din Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD and need to figure out if the amp is going to work with my new head unit.

I have heard that the M490 will work and the M680 amp will NOT. The problem is my amp shows the information below.

TYPE: ATP 400X
MODEL NO.: 9906

One last piece of information.

The amp is a stock Porsche amp, but it may not be the original amp. The car has a large red power wire connected to the positive post on the battery and going down to the amplifier area. It's not connected to the amplifier, but it may be a left over wire from a previous upgraded sound system. It could also be stock, but I'm not familiar enough with the 996 to know the difference.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to order the new head unit just to have to order and ship a new amp after trying the install. I also don't want a new amp if it's not needed.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 07-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Here is a picture of my current head unit and a picture of the amplifier.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Here is the amplifier.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Wow, this was a tougher question than I anticipated. I did a search on 6Speedonline.com and the internet for this amplifier and found nothing.

Later, Steve

Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
i've done a couple of these, do yourself a huge favor and ****can the factory amp. put in a nice jl 600.4 or something and you will never go back. your going to be splicing all the connections anyway and the levels from the kenwood to factory may or may not work ect ect ect.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by DERBOOST
i've done a couple of these, do yourself a huge favor and ****can the factory amp. put in a nice jl 600.4 or something and you will never go back. your going to be splicing all the connections anyway and the levels from the kenwood to factory may or may not work ect ect ect.
I would rather try the factory amp first. I'm not that demanding and I'm happy with the sound of the stock system. I'd rather see how it all sounds before buying a new amp.

Thanks for the input,
Steve

Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
CLk430 has a spectacular aura aboutCLk430 has a spectacular aura about
Heres an install i just completed for a client. This was in a 2002 996, i used the new Alpine INE-S920 6.1" Double Din radio.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Hey Steve,

Congratulations on your purchase my friend! Did I miss your thread where you announced your purchase and showed us all some pictures?

Sorry I cannot help with the amplifier question.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Hey Steve,

Congratulations on your purchase my friend! Did I miss your thread where you announced your purchase and showed us all some pictures?

Sorry I cannot help with the amplifier question.
Thanks Steve.

I actually bought the car, drove it from Long Island, NY to Winston-Salem, NC, drove it back and forth to work for 1 week and then parked for the for for the last 11 days as I went on vacation and then immediately left for a business trip. I'm now going into withdrawl. I will finally get to drive the car tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

A lot of things are different than the Supra, but the top end is almost the same while the bottom end is just WOW.

Here is the post where I introduced the car and myself.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...urbo-club.html

I have a spare head unit on the shelf, I may just have to try to hook it up to the amp this weekend and see if I can get it to work. If I can get it to work, than I guess I can order the new head unit.

If anyone has any info, still let me know.

Thanks, Steve

Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Here's a quick update.

I found the wiring diagrams for both the M680 (which isn't supposed to work) and the M490 (which is supposed to work). My amp has the wiring of the M490, so I believe it will work.

I'm going to order the head unit tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted just in case someone else has this amp in the future.

Later, Steve

Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 AM
The new head unit was installed yesterday and everything worked great.

Later, Steve