996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help! Engine Compartment Lid light is "ON"!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM
contsaga has a spectacular aura aboutcontsaga has a spectacular aura aboutcontsaga has a spectacular aura about
Angry Help! Engine Compartment Lid light is "ON"!

Something is weird, I came down to the garage last night and the engine compartment lid light is on. The bulb was hot and burnt my finger to the touch. It was on for several hours. I did not open the hood/boot since the afternoon. I can't find a switch to turn the bulb off, so I had to remove it.

How does the engine compartment light goes off, when the hood is closed? There's got to be a pressure activated switch somewhere. I looked for an electrical diagram and searched the thread. Does anyone know? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by contsaga; 07-11-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 PM
JTB
JTB is infamous around these partsJTB is infamous around these parts
Is the front hood open or released? There are some threads that indicate the front and back are linked.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Had the same thing happen and was worried it was draining battery do pulled the bulb!

Let us know what you find, but all of my doors/hood had been closed as well. Who knows how long it was actually on.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 AM
contsaga has a spectacular aura aboutcontsaga has a spectacular aura aboutcontsaga has a spectacular aura about
Cool

Loren at Renntech said there's a micro switch in the latch. I checked the price for a new latch and it's around $200. Does anyone know if he micro switch can be removed and replaced instead of the whole latch assembly? I may just leave the $1.29 bulb out and use a $3 LED flashlight.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 PM
WaterNWheels is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by contsaga
Something is weird, I came down to the garage last night and the engine compartment lid light is on. The bulb was hot and burnt my finger to the touch. It was on for several hours. I did not open the hood/boot since the afternoon. I can't find a switch to turn the bulb off, so I had to remove it.

How does the engine compartment light goes off, when the hood is closed? There's got to be a pressure activated switch somewhere. I looked for an electrical diagram and searched the thread. Does anyone know? Any help would be appreciated.
New to me 04 996tt cab is doing the same thing (stays on even with hood closed)

Anybody know if you can connect battery conditioner in through the cig lighter? My maintainer has cig adapter and I do that for my Superduty diesel without issue.

Also the rubber strip at the inside edge of the engine compartment that blocks the gap when engine lid is closed looks like some chemical made it swell and has to be manually guided to stay inside as engine lid is being closed. Is that a dealer-only item?
Thanks in advance

Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by contsaga

Anybody know if you can connect battery conditioner in through the cig lighter? My maintainer has cig adapter and I do that for my Superduty diesel without issue.

Also the rubber strip at the inside edge of the engine compartment that blocks the gap when engine lid is closed looks like some chemical made it swell and has to be manually guided to stay inside as engine lid is being closed. Is that a dealer-only item?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WaterNWheels

Thanks in advance
Congrats on your new car! I can answer 2 of your questions: yes you can connect the battery tender through the cigarette lighter. I have the Porsche OEM charger and hook it up every time I park - plug it in and go. As far as the rubber seal, I've noticed mine doing the same thing on occasion. My sense is that it gets deformed if it gets caught in the engine cover and ends up with a "memory" that causes it to keep getting stuck. Close your engine lid slowly and tuck in that rubber seal and see if it will recondition itself to stay in.

Can't help with the light on - haven't had that issue. Did you make sure your armrest console cover is closed too? A lot of these things are connected even though you wouldn't think they are. What about instrument panel lights - turned up all the way to on? Just grasping....

Old 02-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
Close the trunk.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by WaterNWheels

Thanks in advance
Really appreciate the response. Pulled the bulb for now but will investigate if the cause is in the latch/switch.
The lid seal looks as if it has gotten longer with time and it won't straighten out well enough to slide back under unless it's guided as you suggest. Is this a dealer only part? I looked at Pelican but didn't see it anywhere

I gotta say I was reading various threads on here for a couple months before the deal was finally closed on the car and found it quite helpful. I'm an offshore powerboater and have for years relied on the community to share good info and experiences so it looks like I'll have two stops online each day.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Sure enough engine lid switch is in the latch mechanism. Minor adjustment was all it took to get it to cycle on and off with lid. Thanks to those who posted.