996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt vs 997tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
Stopwatch mounted on the dash.
In the age of iphones and track timing software this really is must!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jcam
I would recommend test driving both.

I couldn't tell the difference performance wise between my 996TTX-50 and the 997. One of my buddies called all excited when they first came out, so we went over to Rusnak for a test drive. I pushed the car hard from 0-60 as well as the higher gears and took it up to 130 mph...the saleman didn't flinch, so I take it that he gets it all the time.

Though if you post your question on the 997 Board, you'll likely get a different answer.
Agreed and once you flash and exhaust both - they remain of similar performance. 996 a bit lighter and rawer which I prefer.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Terminator
996 a bit lighter and rawer which I prefer.
They are both great cars and it's a matter of personal choice....value vs different body style

Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,I think a 997 turbo is a better base if you were into going with basic mods OR to the other end with big mods..
But you will pay more for the 997 turbo which I believe is a better all around car also ,so you have to decide...
Good Luck..

Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Agreed and once you flash and exhaust both - they remain of similar performance. 996 a bit lighter and rawer which I prefer.
What weights are did you find? My 996TT weighed 3510 stock, full fluids. My 997TT weighed 3506 stock, same conditions. Both 6 speed manual transmissions.

I also found that my 996TT's PSM system was much more intrusive than my 997TT. I think many drivers who went from a 996TT to a 997TT find the same.

I couldn't tell the difference performance wise between my 996TTX-50 and the 997.
If you drive them back to back, you will not be able to tell the difference. (Funny how people often report that an exhaust or cold air intake feels faster, lol.)

But seriously, in a side by side run, I found my 997TT consistently faster. It trapped consistently higher, and has a 0-130 mph about 1 second faster.

Though if you post your question on the 997 Board, you'll likely get a different answer.
...true...which is why you should ask someone who's owned both.

Last edited by bbywu; 07-18-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Morden314 is infamous around these parts
Well at least with a 2002 996 T the manual says my car weighs 3394.9 lbs (3494.1lbs for a tip). My downloaded 2005 2005 brochure says 3505 (3594 tip) so it gained a little weight since it had first come out. So at least at first the 996 T was about 100 lbs lighter.

About the 997T handling, it comes up in Excellence Dec 2009 talking about how the 2010 addresses the criticisms of the turbo before it. It doesn't say the 996 turbo handles better so my favoring 996 turbo so that part is IMO at least especially with the option to add PSS10's and 996 Turbo owner bias :-)

Old 07-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
What weights are did you find?
This really isn't difficult. I wish people with 997T would stop talking about how 997T isn't heavier!

All that needs doing is to check 996T manual versus 997T manual. Weight demistified!

996T 1540kg, 997T 1620kg.

This translates into 997T/996T stock bhp per tone; 296 versus 272 making the difference of merely 24bhp.

One poster stated that his x50 car feels the same; he is right. The difference between 996TS and 997T is NEAR ZERO! 5BHP advantage to 997T!

I am now getting some pop-corn too!

Last edited by Terminator; 07-19-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi,I think a 997 turbo is a better base if you were into going with basic mods OR to the other end with big mods..
But you will pay more for the 997 turbo which I believe is a better all around car also ,so you have to decide...
Good Luck..
You think and believe? Not very scientific now is it? Also, better base for small and big mods? A bit of contradiction in terms don’t you think?

For any kind of modding, 996T is a better platform because of the initial lower price, this is a no brainer and everyone knows it.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Nitti has a spectacular aura aboutNitti has a spectacular aura aboutNitti has a spectacular aura about
subscribed!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
err? Are you saying spare can not be fitted to rear axle? Huh did not know this!
No, the spare fits in back, you're just not supposed to drive it that way. It looks really narrow when mounted on the back!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
This really isn't difficult. I wish people with 997T would stop talking about how 997T isn't heavier!

All that needs doing is to check 996T manual versus 997T manual. Weight demistified!

996T 1540kg, 997T 1620kg.

This translates into 997T/996T stock bhp per tone; 296 versus 272 making the difference of merely 24bhp.

One poster stated that his x50 car feels the same; he is right. The difference between 996TS and 997T is NEAR ZERO! 5BHP advantage to 997T!

I am now getting some pop-corn too!
Have you ever ACTUALLY weighed your car??? Those numbers are guidelines as options and fluids really change them.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Owned both: Two 996s and one 997. The truth is, the 997 is better in pretty much every way. Anyone who has owned both will tell you the same thing.

That said, the 996 is still a world-class car, especially for the prices that you can pick them up at these days. Can't go wrong with either. It really comes down to how much you want to spend.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Have you ever ACTUALLY weighed your car??? Those numbers are guidelines as options and fluids really change them.
Have you?

Actually, if you want to get technical, I weigh my car next to 997T’s every time I go to the track. 997T’s actually score much worse than what I have put - the book value. There is a constant 80-100kg in favour to the 996T's.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Owned both: Two 996s and one 997. The truth is, the 997 is better in pretty much every way. Anyone who has owned both will tell you the same thing.

That said, the 996 is still a world-class car, especially for the prices that you can pick them up at these days. Can't go wrong with either. It really comes down to how much you want to spend.
I respectfully disagree with your first statment; perhaps, if you prefer the looks, and the interior. Performance wise, this is not the case but each to their own. Every time we are at the track; (Porsche Events Europe), every club owner's 997T gets spanked by 996T’s (stock for stock or flashed for flashed). But the main issue is that after the event 997T's owners complain about under-steer versus 996T’s. I have extensive seat-time in both and I can assure you this is the case. Every time I have a 997T in my gun sight at the track I have to back off through corners. 997T under-steers more! Period. I can't pass (it is not that bad, but I have to lift off). On the straight 997T pulls 20-30m gap only to be caught up in the breaking zone (weight penalty!) The cars are near identical in real world performance, straight speed going slightly to the 997T and corner speed slightly to the 996T. Last week Porsche test driver tracked 996T and 997T (both stock) and achieved the time of 1.46.8 in the 996T and 1.47.2 in the 997T - same track same conditions. This wrapped up this argument for me; all that remains is pub talk ****-head-penise-size specification arguments between owners!

Last edited by Terminator; 07-20-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:45 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
You think and believe? Not very scientific now is it? Also, better base for small and big mods? A bit of contradiction in terms don’t you think?

For any kind of modding, 996T is a better platform because of the initial lower price, this is a no brainer and everyone knows it.
If you read my post completely ,, it DOES say a 997 turbo will cost more..lol...
And yes you will make more HP/TQ on just a flash/exhaust on a 997 Turbo over a 996 Turbo with the same >> Small mods..
And if you go big mod set-up,you have a better intake track,heads and strength over a 996 turbo...
So, thats my thoughts.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996tt vs 997tt