996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help me Identify this exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 PM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
Help me Identify this exhaust

Hi All, This exhaust came off my 2003 996tt. Louder then stock with a slight drone at 2300 rpm cruise. There are no markings or labels. I have searched various manufactures and can't find an exact match. The closest I came to was an MTM exhaust:

http://www.mtm-us.com/en/Porsche/996...=m-p96aga36bqs

The main can has two longitudinal TIG welded seams. The seams have a slight split in the middle, and I need to re-weld them. It appears to be all stainless. The Cat's are pretty big and I've attached a pic of the insides as well.

Any Ideas?

Attached Images    
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Looks like an FVD with 100 CEL cats.

Best,
Sam

Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT
Looks like an FVD with 100 CEL cats.

Best,
Sam
..I think you are right..

Old 07-21-2012, 05:08 PM
targa72e is infamous around these parts
I would say older MTM with 100 cell cats . Looks just like the one I have in my garage. I

john

Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
That probably begs the question, "Why is it in your garage?" But I won't ask. John, Do you have any pics of yours for comparison. I'm debating if I should invest the time into repairing it. It looks like a decent exhaust and the MIG welds on the pipes are beautiful, but I don't have any information on it other then the really bad website. Thanks a bunch.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:57 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
FVD..Go to their website....

Old 07-22-2012, 09:32 AM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
You guys also helped to solve my mystery as well! I had the same question last year... see my post link below. Looks like I have different tips but it's the same funky design where the outlet pipes from the muffler are different on either side with a flex pipe on one side. By the way, fitment on this exhaust was horrible! Since then I gutted the entire muffler portion and did a custom x-pipe from the cats back...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3267492

Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 AM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
It looks like they don't carry that specific muffler model anymore. Everything is now modular pieces. I bet the reason was probably because of fitment issues with their older system.

I was surprised how bad they fit and my initial hope was to just modify the tips but it was nearly impossible so I just removed the entire muffler portion.

Questions for those that had the older one piece version: How was your fitment? Any issues? Just curious? I don't have it anymore but it's always nice to close the book on a mystery.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM
targa72e is infamous around these parts
Here are some pics. I just finished building my own 3" x-pipe exhaust thus the exhaust sitting in the garage. The MTM exhausts were quite expensive and used good HJS 100 cell cats. Like most exhausts of this design it has some drone around 2800 rpm. I am not sure what I am going to do with it. Probably sell it or use it to make another X-pipe exhaust.

john

Attached Images    
Old 07-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Thank you all for the help. The FVD's are very similar and nearly and exact match. The two areas where I saw differences were the "modular design" with no "flex pipe" and the reinforcing stamping on the muffler can. When John (Targa72e) posted the pics of his MTM, that is the exact same one I have. Single Flex pipe and welded can. I think the newer ones have double flex pipes, which probably help with fitment. John, do you remember where your's came from?

I can't say how hard it is to put on, since I only removed it, but it seemed to fit ok. One of the areas I had a problem with was at the taper of the cats to the turbo flange, as the cone into the cats is too steep and interfered with the studs on the turbo, requiring a crow's foot wrench to loosen. I think I will weld it up and save it. I have the stock one back on the tt now and it' great for daily driver. When I have my second mid-life crisis and fully mod the car, the MTM goes back on. Again, thanks to all

Old 07-22-2012, 03:18 PM
BNG4God, the tips are Porsche OE. Eisemen or Boysen. They are interchangeable and were options when ordering originally. 4 hole or 2 hole. Make sure you use penetrating oil if you ever try and loosen the clamps. Can be a bugger to get off. And use Anti-Seize when putting new ones on.