996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

All leather shift knob and parking brake handle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 PM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
All leather shift **** and parking brake handle?

I am looking around at various sponsor sites like vivid racing and suncoast porsche for a shift **** and matching parking brake handle that are leather only with no metal. I am not sure if other states experience the sun like Colorado, but I am tired of burning my hand on my shift **** when I get in my car on a hot day. What have you guys done to fix this?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 PM
JayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really niceJayAndreTT is just really nice
Originally Posted by imolafem
I am looking around at various sponsor sites like vivid racing and suncoast porsche for a shift **** and matching parking brake handle that are leather only with no metal. I am not sure if other states experience the sun like Colorado, but I am tired of burning my hand on my shift **** when I get in my car on a hot day. What have you guys done to fix this?
Put a white sock on the **** when you leave your car for the day

Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Porschejeff is infamous around these parts
They are like what women say about their stilleto's...they are meant to look good, not feel comfortable.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
I'm in. And would also get a Leather center console as well as I've gone trough two plastic ones already.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned
mmm635 is infamous around these partsmmm635 is infamous around these parts
I hear ya! I have the leather/aluminum set in my car and it was almost unbearable the other day when the external temp was 110 degrees and I hopped in the car. However, I am willing to deal with it because it is worth the aesthetic upgrade.

You might want to call Ryan at Suncoast and speak with him directly. He might be able to look up parts/options that are not on their website that can be had from Germany. This is how I purchased mine, as well as the shift **** I just ordered for my 964 Turbo. Neither I or they have any idea what it looks like, but ordered it sight unseen anyway. I was willing to purchase it this way because the options for the 964 turbo shift **** are very slim, and many of the aftermarket options are metal as well.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Hams996TT is infamous around these partsHams996TT is infamous around these parts
You could just purchase new leather replacements. I don't have the same issue you do, but on a previous cab I owned, I kept a hand towel in the car and placed it over the shift **** handbrake so it would be bearable to the touch.

I broke down last summer and had ceramic tint installed which helped reduce interior temps in the summer, along with a porsche sunshade.

Just options to consider to help mitigate some of that heat. I know it's tough; it's been a real scorcher here in Texas lately.

Best of luck to you.

Chris.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
Part of driving a Porsche is I don't want to be uncomfortable or have things like towels or socks in my car, I just want it to function how I want it to I will give Suncoast a call to see what else they offer, it looks like my only other choices are aftermarket universal fit shift ***** which are not exciting either.

I have my windows tinted very dark, but it is that sun coming in through the windshield I would have to stop with a visor..... But visors have never been my style.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Hams996TT is infamous around these partsHams996TT is infamous around these parts
Part of driving a Porsche is I don't want to be uncomfortable or have things like towels or socks in my car, I just want it to function how I want it to I will give Suncoast a call to see what else they offer, it looks like my only other choices are aftermarket universal fit shift ***** which are not exciting either.

I have my windows tinted very dark, but it is that sun coming in through the windshield I would have to stop with a visor..... But visors have never been my style.
Really on the visor? I mean no disrespect, but I would highly encourage you to pick up a nice one from Suncoast. It's a Porsche part, made to fit your windshield perfectly, and folds down into a sleeve that fits perfectly in the front trunk. - It will certainly save your interior from sun damage in the future.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=996ttintacc

As for the shift ****, maybe you could run the GT3 shift boot/**** in alcantara. I bet it wouldn't be as hot.

Good luck!

Chris.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Chris - I must be very lazy, because taking something out of my trunk every time I park and unfolding it and putting it in the windshield ... then doing the opposite when I return sounds like so much work =)

This is a unique problem to my 911 and have not experienced with anything else I have driven, but I have never had metal on my shift **** before either.

The visor might be an option if I can find nothing else though. Thanks for the link!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:53 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JayAndreTT
Put a white sock on the **** when you leave your car for the day
Good idea. Or a windshield heat shield.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I will have an all leather (black) e-brake handle for sale as soon as I get it out of my car. Let me know if you're interested.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Just got my ebrake handle wrapped. Still need a shift **** solution.