996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to drain your tank and fill with race gas.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
How to drain your tank and fill with race gas.

Some of us run race gas for high boost at the track. But when your tank has pump gas in it when you get to the track, how do you drain the gas? You can't siphon it. You can try to drive it until close to empty, but you may run out of gas on the road (happened to me many times). So I added a quick drain.

We placed a valve/fitting on the fuel line. Attached another valve to the end of some tubing.

Next, I replace the fuel relay with an on/off switch. When I turn the key to "on" and flip the switch to "on", the fuel drains quickly. Once the full is drained, I replace the relay and fill with Race gas. Rinse and repeat.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
pretty slick

Old 08-09-2012, 10:54 AM
BUTZI996TT is a jewel in the roughBUTZI996TT is a jewel in the roughBUTZI996TT is a jewel in the rough
Clever. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Or you can use the fuel return line located ontop of the fuel tank. If you are really trick you will get a stock fitting that plugs right into the factory connector for cars with stock return lines; you connect that to a hose you will use to fill your cans...

Or for you tricked out fuel system guys you put in a quick disconnect coupler that plugs into return line. Then you have your drain hose you conect to that coupler.

Then all you have to do is start the car and let its normal operations do the job for you. No extra plumbing or wiring.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
why can't you just siphon it?

i would worry about reliability of the fittings. especially given it's proximity to a hot engine / exhaust.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Don't you have a fpr w/a empty port at the bottom of it, why not just hook the drain to that? At least that's they way I've done it on my supra & plan to do it on my p-Car.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Cool mod and good ideas here for other ways to do it!

Personally I just find it easiest to run the tank down and fill up with the good stuff when I get to the track. Sure, there's a bit of the of the old stuff in there, but it's pretty easy to end up with 1/8-1/4 of a tank by the time you get to the track if you plan ahead a few days. Of course for me I'm almost 100 miles away from the track so I've got a lot of miles to burn off gas before I get there, so as long as I have a 1/2 tank or less when I leave in the morning, I can always get to the track with less than a 1/4 and usually closer to 1/8.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 08-09-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Cool mod and good ideas here for other ways to do it!

Personally I just find it easiest to run the tank down and fill up with the good stuff when I get to the track. Sure, there's a bit of the of the old stuff in there, but it's pretty easy to end up with 1/8-1/4 of a tank by the time you get to the track if you plan ahead a few days. Of course for me I'm 90 miles away from the track so I've got a lot of miles to burn off gas before I get there, so as long as I have a 1/2 tank or less when I leave in the morning, I can always get to the track with less than a 1/4 and usually closer to 1/8.
Anything less that 99% race gas is not good enough for me.